Holland-America's air package question

For those of you who have booked your air through HAL, was the price guaranteed?

I ask because when we booked our air through HAL for this cruise, they told us the price was NOT guaranteed until we made final payment.

Is this a relatively new approach from Holland-America? I seem to remember the price was locked in as soon as I booked last time I used their air (probably 2011, maybe 2009).

And somehow I'm not too interested in paying out $16 grand or so before I have to!

We learned this the hard way in January--coughed up full payment to obtain a very good airfare for our cruise in late Aug. Now I wonder how much the air fare might have risen if I had let it ride for a couple of months. However it was a very good air fare price, so I need to put the aggravation behind me.

The way I read it you can get fixed fares OR fixed flights:

Based on your travel needs, Flight Ease offers two booking options.

1 - FLEXIBLE FARES

For those who want greater flexibility

Pay at final cruise payment: No need to pay at time of air booking.

Flexible Conditions: When booking our Flexible Fares there is no fee for making changes prior to the cruise final payment due date. After the cruise final payment due date, fees up to the full cost of the ticket apply.

2 - RESTRICTED FARES

For those sure of their plans; generally lower rates.

Pay at time of air booking: Full payment with credit card for air reservation is due at time of air booking. A confirmed cruise booking is required to book flights.

Edited by jtl513

The way I read it you can get fixed fares OR fixed flights:

Based on your travel needs, Flight Ease offers two booking options.

1 - FLEXIBLE FARES

For those who want greater flexibility

Pay at final cruise payment: No need to pay at time of air booking.

Flexible Conditions: When booking our Flexible Fares there is no fee for making changes prior to the cruise final payment due date. After the cruise final payment due date, fees up to the full cost of the ticket apply.

2 - RESTRICTED FARES

For those sure of their plans; generally lower rates.

Pay at time of air booking: Full payment with credit card for air reservation is due at time of air booking. A confirmed cruise booking is required to book flights.

Make sure you ask for prices both ways. When we booked ours, it was MORE to book the 'restricted'!! I asked, what would someone pay more and not be able to make changes?? We used the 'flexible' which was HALs best price. However,they di say that it wasn't a guaranteed price unless all was paid in full. They told me I could watch my price to see if there were any changes since they usually would only change every couple of weeks (if at all) and not usually that much at the time. The price they gave me was almost 600.00 LESS per person then the best price I had found so I figured that even if it went up some, I would still be ahead. I ended paying our total about 3 months after booking the air fare. The price never changed from what they originally quoted me and is still a much better rate than I could have gotten on my own so it worked out great for us. Of course, I could have waited a little longer to pay but am glad it is done!