Best/Least Expensive Way to get from Pike Place Market to Pier 91

Ky Colonel

This topic has probably been covered here dozens of times before, but since times and prices change I'm re-opening it. MY DW, DD, DSiL, 2 Granddaughters and I will be staying at a hotel (not affiliated with HAL and thus not eligible for the Hotel-to-Ship transfers) in the Pike Place Market area of Seattle for a few days prior to our next cruise. What is the best and most economical way for us (and all of our luggage) to get to Pier 91 on embarkation morning? Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

We were in the same situation with five people and luggage. The best I came up with was an SUV/van shuttle service (not much else other than two taxis). The hotel helped to call the ride for us but was not affiliated with the shuttle service.

It will be cheaper for you to hire a private (just your party) limousine van service than taking the HAL bus when returning to the airport after the cruise. The limousine service operates right out of the Pier 91 parking lot. We did this and it was about $100 at that time.

igraf

This topic has probably been covered here dozens of times before, but since times and prices change I'm re-opening it. MY DW, DD, DSiL, 2 Granddaughters and I will be staying at a hotel (not affiliated with HAL and thus not eligible for the Hotel-to-Ship transfers) in the Pike Place Market area of Seattle for a few days prior to our next cruise. What is the best and most economical way for us (and all of our luggage) to get to Pier 91 on embarkation morning? Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

Ahoy Ky!

I don't know if it would be the least expensive option but I would get some quotes from the local town car outfits (many have vans and SUV's) since you have a party of 6 it looks like.

On our last Alaska cruise we stayed at a hotel downtown, checked out the day of the cruise but they kept our luggage for the day at no charge. Since the ship wasn't leaving until 5:00PM we took a cab down to Pikes market and enjoyed the local food tour. Following the tour we walked around a bit and then took a cab back to the hotel to pick up our luggage and then arrived down at the pier using the same cab by 3:15 or so. It didn't seem all that expensive at the time.

Since you have such a large party that will need lots of room, I'd check with the town car outfits and see if they could line up a transfer to Pikes market, return to your hotel and then a lift to pier 91. Perhaps you'd also need RT transport to SeaTac also (?) and see if you could get a discounted package price for all your ground transport needs.

Best of luck and be well.

Bob Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

By far, the cheapest is public transportation - the RapidRide coaches have a wider area in front for storing luggage. However, its not the easiest unless you have a sense where you are going and are mobile with your luggage.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/alaskacruisesinfo

I've done this before many times and would be happy to answer questions. But remember the warning that this method is probably the most difficult, yet the least expensive.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

Aug. 2014

We travel with a group of 7 the cheapest way we have found:

A lot of the downtown hotels offer shuttle transportation (van) to the pier for a fee. Call your hotel & check with them you will need to reserve in advance. If your hotel doesn't offer a shuttle we have used ACE transport (van for 8).

To get from pier 91 to the airport is Go Shuttle Express its right outside of cruise terminal you can book in advance or walk up and pay.

Fyi: I don't know if this will apply to you but we travel with 2 children under 5 so if you use a taxi or town car you need to arrange for car seats. Shuttles you don't need to.

Hi,

Our friends live in Seattle. We are 3 couples traveling together in August. I guess our friends use a van service whenever they travel by cruise. Takes them right to the pier from their doorstep for a reasonable flat fee. I would do a google search and check reviews but that seems like the best option for all of y'all.

I can ask her what service they use..if you'd like..:).

We live outside the Seattle area and exclusively use "Driver for Hire". It's a 24 hour service. Phone 206.493.9603. Web: http://www.driverforhier.biz. We have never been disappointed with the quality of service. They are always on time too! They have vehicles of different sizes to accommodate a group with all of their cruising luggage too.

Karen

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. I am now in the process of checking out the various services and getting quotes where necessary. In all likelihood, we'll use one of the van services since we will (undoubtedly) have lots of luggage for our 4 female travelers, although in all honesty, I believe my DSiL takes the crown for over-packing!!!

I'll try to remember to post information on our final selection. Thanks again for your input.

I hope you have sunny skies, gentle breezes and smooth sailing on all your cruises,

Rod

Here is another thought: We live about 60 miles from Seattle and often rent a car to go to the airport, particularly for a late night flight. If we go online usually a one day rate is $25 to $35 including the very high airport taxes. If you rent from a downtown Seattle location the price is lower. Two years ago we rented a car from a downtown location to take us and our luggage to the cruise terminal. I dropped off DW and the luggage, drove back to the rental location and they then dropped me off at the ship.

Here is another thought: We live about 60 miles from Seattle and often rent a car to go to the airport, particularly for a late night flight. If we go online usually a one day rate is $25 to $35 including the very high airport taxes. If you rent from a downtown Seattle location the price is lower. Two years ago we rented a car from a downtown location to take us and our luggage to the cruise terminal. I dropped off DW and the luggage, drove back to the rental location and they then dropped me off at the ship.

That is absolutely ingenious!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Rod

Not only that, but for a large group with a lot of luggage you can make two trips with the rental car!

igraf

Not only that, but for a large group with a lot of luggage you can make two trips with the rental car!

igraf

... excellent suggestion ... however, with my notoriously bad sense of direction, I'd need to allow 8 or more hours for each trip - fortunately I still have enough time before we go to figure that into my schedule ... hmmmm ... Ill have to think on this one a while ...

Thanks,

Rod

It is only 3 miles from Pike Place to Pier 91. Two taxi rides might still be cheaper than a rental car with gas and insurance.

You can also try the modern smartphone rides like Uber and Lyft. Ask your younger family members if you have no idea what I am talking about.

igraf

... excellent suggestion ... however, with my notoriously bad sense of direction, I'd need to allow 8 or more hours for each trip - fortunately I still have enough time before we go to figure that into my schedule ... hmmmm ... Ill have to think on this one a while ...

Thanks,

Rod

Is there really enough difference in cost between a private car/van or a couple of taxis vs fooling around getting a rental car, making a couple of trips to the ship from the hotel and picking up and returning the rental car to make it worthwhile? It's so much easier just to have a private car/van or 2 taxis pick you up at the hotel and take you directly to the cruise terminal.

What hotel are you staying at? We love staying in that area when in Seattle.

Edited by cruisin'girl

... What hotel are you staying at? We love staying in that area when in Seattle.

We're going to try out the Motif Seattle this time - we normally stay at the Seattle Sheraton because of its location in the Pike Place Market area. Most of the reviews we read on Motif were very glowing' date=' so we decided to give it a try.

Smooth sailing,

Rod[/color']

We have used AJ Towncar Service and absolutely LOVE HIM and his great cars and service. Phone number is (206) 697-5577 He has a towncar and/vans. Able to pick up 2 people to 8? Give him a call and he can give you a quote or make your reservation with him with no money down. AJ has ALWAYS been on time and I love getting him more customers. You can arrange to be picked up at the airport and taken to Pier, or to hotel, and as we use him from hotel to Pier. If you feel like it...tell him Charlene says HI !:eek:

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your helpful and thoughtful suggestions. We just returned home from our Alaska cruise last night and I am pleased to report that we were able to fit my group of 6 (and our luggage) into 2 cabs - the fare was $15 per cab and our travel time (from Motif Seattle to Pier 91) was less than 15 minutes ... the limos, vans and shuttles that we looked at were all more expensive and generally less flexible on pick-up times - all in all, I was very satisfied with the service and cost.

Rod

iI was wondering how you guys did! Hope you had a great cruise..:)

Yes, Dee, we did have a great time on our cruise - while probably not perfect in all respects, it was as close to perfect in my mind as I could've hoped for!!! I hope all of your cruises and other adventures are as satisfying as this one was for us.

Smooth sailing,

Rod