Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

OK so I take my stash of wine through Port Security with no problems, right? They don't care.

At what point do I pay the corkage fee? Does HAL X-ray CARRY-ON bags or do they look into everyone's bags before embarking? Just wondering how and where they charge the corkage BEFORE boarding. Thanks!

Oh and what if you put your one bottle in your checked - I assume they see it on Xray but ...

After the x-ray machine, you will be directed to the wine check in table. There's a beverage department employee there who will place stickers on your bottles and write up a charge slip for your wine. The charge will show up on your room account. In our case, it showed up as the, Pinnacle bar. It pretty obvious, because there was a $432 bar tab for the Pinnacle bar. While we've been known to have a few cocktails, that amount is quite high, even for us. So, we knew it was our two cases of wine.

After the x-ray machine, you will be directed to the wine check in table. There's a beverage department employee there who will place stickers on your bottles and write up a charge slip for your wine. The charge will show up on your room account. In our case, it showed up as the, Pinnacle bar. It pretty obvious, because there was a $432 bar tab for the Pinnacle bar. While we've been known to have a few cocktails, that amount is quite high, even for us. So, we knew it was our two cases of wine.

Thank you for sharing.

When we boarded Maasdam last November, we had an open bag with 6 bottles in it, and although there was a table after we went through the x-ray, there was no one manning it, and we just took the bag to our room. Of course, that meant that when we took a bottle to dinner with us, we had to pay the corkage then, as there was no sticker on the bottle....:)

It seems that Westerdam has a few more restrictions on their drinking program than the other ships.

No Weng Weng

No Sip and Savor on SBP

Might take a sip of a Weng Weng but it really doesn't sound tasty. Something tells me I would be on my keister if I drink even 1 Weng Weng. :D

Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue: we are getting a "free" bottle of sparkling wine as a amenity perk for our stateroom, so what happens if we take this to the Dining Room?

In the past, we have told the waiter that it was a "gift" which was in our room when we arrived and haven't been charged the corkage fee. However, with new rules in place we are thinking 2 options might be in place:

1) we will have to pay the corkage fee on an amenity wine, unless we drink it in the cabin.

2) take the bottle to the Front Office and ask for the credit to be put on our account.

Thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone has come across this issue: we are getting a "free" bottle of sparkling wine as a amenity perk for our stateroom, so what happens if we take this to the Dining Room?

In the past, we have told the waiter that it was a "gift" which was in our room when we arrived and haven't been charged the corkage fee. However, with new rules in place we are thinking 2 options might be in place:

1) we will have to pay the corkage fee on an amenity wine, unless we drink it in the cabin.

2) take the bottle to the Front Office and ask for the credit to be put on our account.

Thoughts?

Since it is HAL supplied wine, there is no corkage fee, regardless of where it is consumed.

You do have the choice to turn it in for some other wine, other beverage, or (possibly) a credit. If you wish something that is more expensive, then you pay only the difference.

Since it is HAL supplied wine, there is no corkage fee, regardless of where it is consumed.

You do have the choice to turn it in for some other wine, other beverage, or (possibly) a credit. If you wish something that is more expensive, then you pay only the difference.

Hi Ruth. How will they know that it is HAL supplied, e.g. a sticker?

I always take my bottle to the Neptune Lounge first thing and exchange it for a bottle of chardonnay (they give you the house brand - Santa Carolina - which is not bad IMO). Sometimes they let you exchange it for a more expensive brand, but you pay the difference. Sometimes they may let you exchange it for soda or water instead.

Now, I take my bottle to the MDR and give it to the wine steward. Never a problem, as they know by looking at it that it is the house brand. Of course, I slip him/her a $5 for their trouble (remembering that they do not get a service charge tip on this otherwise).

Never a problem - and I did it last month when I even had him serve the other people at our table and not me (since I had the signature beverage card anyway).

DaveOKC

Hi Ruth. How will they know that it is HAL supplied, e.g. a sticker?

They recognize their own stock. If there is any question, they can check the records of what was ordered for whom. Many times the person you turn the wine in to will remember putting up the order.

They recognize their own stock. If there is any question, they can check the records of what was ordered for whom. Many times the person you turn the wine in to will remember putting up the order.

Thank you so much Ruth. This information is so helpful.

Now, I take my bottle to the MDR and give it to the wine steward. Never a problem, as they know by looking at it that it is the house brand. Of course, I slip him/her a $5 for their trouble (remembering that they do not get a service charge tip on this otherwise).

DaveOKC

Excellent advice. We always tip for wine service, whether in the main dining room or a specialty restaurant. Since 90% of our wine consists of bottles we brought on (and for which we paid corkage) we think it's only fair to take care of our wine steward. I don't know if they receive anything from our corkage, so we try to make it up to them. We typically tip each day because we've had wine stewards rotate through on occasion.

• 2 months later...

Haven't read through the whole thread yet so this question may have been answered. I'm looking at the Wine for Stateroom menu that you can order before Embarkation and was wondering if anyone has tried the "Bon voyage white wine"? I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means but also don't want to waste money on something undrinkable either. I generally drink Pinot Grigio, Viogner or Reisling. Any thoughts?

Haven't read through the whole thread yet so this question may have been answered. I'm looking at the Wine for Stateroom menu that you can order before Embarkation and was wondering if anyone has tried the "Bon voyage white wine"? I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means but also don't want to waste money on something undrinkable either. I generally drink Pinot Grigio, Viogner or Reisling. Any thoughts?

Wait until you are boarding. There's usually someone who can help you either in the boarding area, or just after you get on the ship.

Just tell them what you like. You don't save anything by ordering on the web. If you wait until you get on the ship, you can pick a specific wine.

Edited by POA1

POA1 - Enjoyed your reading about your research results. Wish I'd thought of it and got to the National Science Foundation first!

Hope to follow your lead with bringing some decent wine onboard when we cruise out of Athens in the fall. But, I think California wine might be hard to find in Athens. But, I'm ready to seek out some of Wine Spectator's reviewed Greek wines.

Thanks again for sharing your research project Hope the grant covered your tips.:)

Othe MS Rotterdam recently we found varing degrees of enforcement and confusion on the crew's part.

Bottle #1 at the first port confiscated and returned the last afternoon.

#2 paid the corkage and brought to our cabin.

#3 the “wine police” wanted to confiscate my 2 bottles, I refused, told them to call their supervisor as no amount of explaining would convince them of HAL’s policy. Supervisor came and allowed us to proceed with our wine. Met him later in the Lido bar and he apologized and charged me for only 1 bottle.

#4 not asked to stop at the “wine police”.

#5 and #6 x-ray on the pier took wine to cabin. In 2 of 3 occasions pier x-rays were not repeated when boarding.

#7 same as #3 met same supervisor and paid my corkage.

People on ship wine tours were allowed to bring wine aboard and they do check cabin numbers.

I did notice more lower priced wines this cruise on the ships offerings but for 5 euro’s or so plus the $18 I get a better selection at a better price bringing wine aboard.

Bob

hi ...well ive really enjoyed reading this thread and took much info into my cruise brain .....:) may have missed it somewhere ...so heres my question....

are we allowed to take a bottle of brandy on board for the room ....or is it only wine

on Ryndam 29th august ...fjords

hi ...well ive really enjoyed reading this thread and took much info into my cruise brain .....:) may have missed it somewhere ...so heres my question....

are we allowed to take a bottle of brandy on board for the room ....or is it only wine

Just wine. One 750 ml bottle per adult person in a cabin.

Thanks for the compliment. While you cannot take brandy on board with you, only wine like KK said, you can purchase a bottle from room service once on board. The price will vary depending on what brand you want. If there is not a list of prices in your stateroom, inquire at one of the bars. I think the Explorer's Lounge or the Ocean Bar would be your best bets. They're much more likely to have a selection than the aft pool bar would be.

Just wine. One 750 ml bottle per adult person in a cabin.

The actual policy is that an adult can bring as many 750 ml bottles as he/she wants. Only one of them, however, will be allowed on with no charge. Every additional bottle will incur an $18 corkage fee.

KK is correct that brandy is not allowed. POA explained very well how to get brandy for your cabin.

I spent a happy hour (with a couple of glasses of a good Malbec) last night reading through this amazing thread....and laughing out loud for most of it.

Thank you so much for your in depth "research project" POA1 and I think you deserve at the very least, a bursary to go on to do a Master's in your subject! :D

We are on Zuiderdam in June for our first HAL cruise and as I am used to the included alcohol on Azamara and Silversea, your thread has helped me so much in deciding whether to buy the Signature package or not.....and on balance, I think it will be probably not. I enjoy trying out different wines and the included glasses of wine just do not appeal to me. I would like to try some of the more expensive wines, so I think I will pay as I go.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work. Very much appreciated by all of us who enjoy a drink.....or two! :D

I spent a happy hour (with a couple of glasses of a good Malbec) last night reading through this amazing thread....and laughing out loud for most of it.

Thank you so much for your in depth "research project" POA1 and I think you deserve at the very least, a bursary to go on to do a Master's in your subject! :D

We are on Zuiderdam in June for our first HAL cruise and as I am used to the included alcohol on Azamara and Silversea, your thread has helped me so much in deciding whether to buy the Signature package or not.....and on balance, I think it will be probably not. I enjoy trying out different wines and the included glasses of wine just do not appeal to me. I would like to try some of the more expensive wines, so I think I will pay as I go.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work. Very much appreciated by all of us who enjoy a drink.....or two! :D

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed our "work." If sampling different wines is what you prefer, the Signature Beverage Package comes up a bit short. Okay, probably more than a bit.

I think you are making the right choice. Have a great cruise!

We had brought wine aboard the Noordam with the intention of drinking it in our stateroom. We had the SBP and spent little time in our stateroom so decided to bring the bottle to dinner and pay the corkage.

At dinner in the PG, I indicated to our waiter that we would need to pay corkage on the bottle, but basically he took no notice of it. Maybe I got away without corkage since it was a screw top :D.