John and Diane's LAST Round the World Adventure

Johnny B

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful blog, you are a gifted writer, maybe one day we will be able to read one of your books, you are so talented. We enjoyed all of your posts so much, it was a great great joy.

All the best to you and your family, you both are inspiring people !!!:

"You have given me warm and fuzzy feedback and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that and how much it makes me want to keep writing."

You have given pleasure to so many people. As one who was taught that it is better to give than to receive, it is nice to know that you received such well deserved pleasure from "warm and fuzzy feedback" to your beautifully written blogs.

I see a crack in the ice so I am betting you will be doing the 2017 World Cruise. Thanks for all the great postings and for the book titles. I am having to order the last one from Amazon as my local library doesn't have it although I should Interlibrary Loan it, if I am true to my profession.

I see a crack in the ice so I am betting you will be doing the 2017 World Cruise. Thanks for all the great postings and for the book titles. I am having to order the last one from Amazon as my local library doesn't have it although I should Interlibrary Loan it, if I am true to my profession.

I really thought that the last book was the best - at least it was my personal favorite. It was the kind of book that has the end of one chapter on a page and across the page is the new chapter - and I couldn't help but continue. Happy reading!

Really sorry to see this come to an end, your update was the first thing I looked for when I opened Cruise Critic. You have a fantastic way with words and such an upbeat, positive outlook on things, just a real pleasure to read. Learned a lot about the places you went and especially enjoyed your descriptions of all the local food you tried, got some great notes for places to eat and visit on future trips. Thank you for being the highlight of the day!!!

Hi Diane, Thanks again for your great posts and for listing the book club books.

I wonder if you could provide some more info. on the 2017 World Cruise ? We live in LA and Cambria so I am wondering if the Amsterdam will leave Florida then sail straight from the Panama Canal to Hawaii ? It would be great if it would pick up on the West Coast. You mentioned Japan, Korea, China, which I guess would be in January. Then down to Singapore and the Suez Canal? Any info. would be great for our cruise planning.

We would love to hear anything about potential ports for the 2017 Grand Asia too. We are trying to see new ports.

Hoping to see you on a cruise somewhere, sometime.

Thanks again,

Jill and Joe

Hi Diane, At the risk of being a pest, I would like to ask for the salmon recipe again. I know it may be days/weeks before you are back to normal but hope that next time you prepare it you can post the recipe. Thank you, Cherie

Hi all,

Regarding the 2017 WC, it seems that AT THIS POINT (and things change), the cruise is scheduled to call at San Diego after it transits the Canal and before it heads to Hawaii. I don't know (and won't, for some time) if boarding in SD will constitute a full WC, but I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Regarding the recipe, thanks for the reminder. Now that I'm home, it's easy to pull out my recipe files to find it.

Teriyaki Salmon (my brother-in-law's recipe)

a 1-1/2 to 2 pound salmon filet

1/4 cup soy sauce (but I usually use more)

several chopped garlic cloves

Put the above in a zip-lock bag for about four hours (either in or out of the refrigerator - I'm pretty relaxed about those things) Turn it over every once in a while.

Make the glaze: 3 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons of honey

1 tablespoon water

2 teaspoons oil

Put the salmon on the grill, brushing it with the mix above. Turn about halfway through and brushing it again. If you have leftover glaze, you can cook it down and drizzle it over the cooked salmon.

I usually serve plates prepared with a base of either mashed red potatoes or risotto and topped with a portion of salmon and then put some asparagus on the side. It makes a pretty presentation.

Never thought I'd be a published chef; writing is usually enough for me! Thanks a lot for asking.

Edited by Johnny B

Hi all,

Regarding the 2017 WC, it seems that AT THIS POINT (and things change), the cruise is scheduled to call at San Diego after it transits the Canal and before it heads to Hawaii. I don't know (and won't, for some time) if boarding in SD will constitute a full WC, but I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Thanks for the information. Maybe they will go FLL to San Diego at the end of the cruise too so one could do a full world cruise from San Diego. That would be good for those of us on the West Coast. I love a one way car rental LA/ San Diego to start or finish a cruise.

Thank you for the wonderful story. I hope to have the time in a few years to do a world cruise. I 've been blessed to have been to Melbourne, Singapore and Bali and your post brought back happy memories.

The Central California Coast, San Luis Obispo and Avila Beach is one of my favorite places to visit. We were out there last fall. Can't wait to go back.

Thank you for all the information.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your review.

It's a good 10 years until my kids will be finished with college and probably a good 15 before I retire, but you have certainly provided food for thought, should good health and financial security continue to smile upon me!

You provided just the right amount of detail to retain my interest throughout. I loved your positive attitude and your ability to appreciate whatever came your way, be it over-the-top luxury, heart-rending poverty, unusual food, unique flora and fauna, or sites of deep historic or spiritual significance. And naps! You took the inconveniences (Noro & piracy risk, missed ports, changed itineraries, iffy weather) in stride. And you really conveyed the special aspects of every place you visited as well as the opportunities for fun and camaraderie on the ship.

Thanks again for sharing your journey with us at home.

Those of you who have commented have been so lovely and have made me happy to have written all 20 pages. I began writing a blog with our first WC in 2008 because I knew that I was no good at keeping a journal for more than three days, but I figured that if I made a public commitment to write about our cruise, I would be forced into following through. When we got home from that cruise, I was amazed at all the things I had written about and then promptly forgotten. It was then that I decided that if I ever did a WC again (go ahead and laugh here) that I'd keep it up - and so I have.

"Not so desperate housewife," you have made me ever so happy, because what you have written about my blog is exactly what I was trying to convey: that it is such a privilege to go on a world cruise that everyone who can do it should be just thrilled about everything they do. If you're not, then why continue?

So . . . if we do indeed sail in 2017, you better believe I'll be writing about that one.

I loved reading about your trip and the many wonderful things you did. You did such a great job of showing us the rest of the world! I laughed at your comment about the world cruise being like high school. I hope you go in 2017 so I can again follow along.

Thanks

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

Only just caught up and finished this. Has been a pleasure to read from beginning to end. I have seen some fabulous and some unique places through your, and John's, eyes. Thank you very much for your time and effort. Look forward to the next one, whenever that may be!

Linda

I really thought that the last book was the best - at least it was my personal favorite. It was the kind of book that has the end of one chapter on a page and across the page is the new chapter - and I couldn't help but continue. Happy reading!

Just finished Of Marriageable Age and I agree with you.

OK, Jane - just because we said that we'd share a dining room table in 2017 with you and Bill as well as Ann and Cathy doesn't mean that you can "blow my cover." We had decided that this would be our last FULL WC, but the itinerary for 2017, with all the WWII ports in the Pacific as well as places we haven't been in Japan, a return to Viet Nam, and enough time between ports to spend a week in Kerala, Southern India, has convinced John that we really really "need" to do that cruise. Oh well, I'm a Libra; I just like to get along.

Regarding "Of Marriageable Age," (I can't do italics on this program), I'm glad you enjoyed it; I certainly did. The four books on this WC were worlds apart (pun intended) but all fascinating.

OK, Jane - just because we said that we'd share a dining room table in 2017 with you and Bill as well as Ann and Cathy doesn't mean that you can "blow my cover." We had decided that this would be our last FULL WC, but the itinerary for 2017, with all the WWII ports in the Pacific as well as places we haven't been in Japan, a return to Viet Nam, and enough time between ports to spend a week in Kerala, Southern India, has convinced John that we really really "need" to do that cruise. Oh well, I'm a Libra; I just like to get along.

I knew you would do another one!!! Can't wait until 2017 and your reports.

Wonderful!

So what are you going to call your 2017 blog? -

John and Diane's REALLY LAST Round the World Adventure

• 2 weeks later...