To Tux or not to Tux..........

clamar

• 1 month later...
SWMBO won the day- tux , shirts and all the dodads went into the suitcase. Fortunately we are on SWA, so no extra bag fees for bag #2 until we fly back from UK.

Ev

What does SWMBO mean? And SWA?

Thank you.

Julia, starting on June 27 in Amsterdam

• 3 years later...

I think SWMBO is "She who must be obeyed".....meaning his wife dictated that a tux be packed, but fortunately, the tux flew free since Southwest Airlines does not charge for the first two checked bags.

Let me start by confessing that I own my own Tux, have several beautiful formal ties, all the accessories, etc. When we go on a cruise with formal nights I usually take my Tux. However, in most cases we Tux wearers are in the minority. The main reason I bother to take a Tux is because I own it (no additional rental cost involved) and it is no more difficult to take my Tux then to pack a suit. But these days I think that for those that do not own a Tux it just makes more sense to take along a suit (assuming you own one of those).

Hank

Tuxes are in the minority, however, DH said just the other day "I'm sure glad I've got my tux for our cruises." Gotta love that man! We don't have a lot of opportunities to dress in our finery here on the "frozen tundra", so we really enjoy stepping it up when we cruise. Neither of us look at dressing formally as a chore, rather, we look forward to it as something special.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

.........a 4 year old thread:D

With that being said, it is still a good thread to have on the first page so that newbies (which the OP no longer is:D) can see they are not the first, nor will they be the last to ask this same question:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

4 years ago my DH always wore a Tuxedo on formal nights.

Then 2 years ago we were on a 21 day cruise -- one which we had done quite a few times. And people used to always be dressed up. But on this cruise -- very few tuxedos.

My DH was on his 5th one and it is now retired to the back of his closet. He now wears either a suit or jacket with tie.

We've been having the same duscussion. DH owns a tux, he looks great in it. But we've been noticing far fewer men wearing them, and now he's making "I'm just going to bring a sports jacket and tie the next time" noises, which he would wear with his dress slacks which he wears to the non-formal dinners. So far I've been able to convince him to just bring the tux, but not sure how much longer that's going to last.

.........a 4 year old thread

*slaps forehead with palm of hand*

Oh dear, I didn't even think to look at the date . . . well, DH still loves wearing his tux, and wears a sport coat to travel so he has an extra jacket available.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

.........a 4 year old thread:D

With that being said, it is still a good thread to have on the first page so that newbies (which the OP no longer is:D) can see they are not the first, nor will they be the last to ask this same question:)

Joanie

*slaps forehead with palm of hand*

Oh dear, I didn't even think to look at the date . . . well, DH still loves wearing his tux, and wears a sport coat to travel so he has an extra jacket available.

Smooth Sailing ! :)

You are very observant Joanie..I slapped my forehead too!:D:D Agree this is still an important subject..

On our long cruise on the Prinsendam, DH had both his Tux & his suit.. However, when we just go into the Caribbean for a few weeks, lately he's just taking a suit only because we've noticed so few Tuxes.. I love seeing him in his Tux, but he does not wish to stand-out.. He no longer takes his patent leather shoes though, he just wears plain ole black shoes with his Tux, which many would consider a faux pas..

We have no problem with luggage as we usually drive to the port..

Edited by serendipity1499

Actually, the age of the thread is not meaningful since the issue of wearing a Tux has changed over that same time period :). Four years ago we would have probably recommended wearing a Tux. But now, we are somewhat ambivalent. Last year when we took a 38 day Oosterdam cruise the dining room staff was even allowing some men into the MDR (on formal nights) without a jacket and tie. Several months later we were on a 28 day Veendam cruise where we saw a gentleman turned away from the MDR because he had no jacket (and refused the one offered by the Maitre'd). There is no longer any consistency on the enforcement of any dress code on HAL and we think this sadly reflects the current attitude many have towards dressing up.

Hank

My DH looks smoking hot in anything but especially a tux. But he is on the shy side and doesn't like attracting attention which he definitely would in a tux, therefore, no tux.

Edited by qsuzi

He'll be in the minority, but he won't be alone. In the last couple of years, the percentage of tuxedo wearers on our cruises has ranged from about 12% to 25%+. (Cruz Chic was with us on one of the high percentage sailings in case you need references. )

My take: If it's not an insurmountable logistics problem, bring it, and tux it up. He certainly won't be alone. If it's a huge pain to schlep the soup and fish, a dark suit would be the next best choice. After that, jacket & tie would be the next best.

As qsuzi and the philosopher Z. Z Top* say, "Everybody's crazy 'bout a Sharp Dressed Man."

*Yes, I know they're a band.

Edited by POA1

He'll be in the minority, but he won't be alone. In the last couple of years, the percentage of tuxedo wearers on our cruises has ranged from about 12% to 25%+. (Cruz Chic was with us on one of the high percentage sailings in case you need references. )

My take: If it's not an insurmountable logistics problem, bring it, and tux it up. He certainly won't be alone. If it's a huge pain to schlep the soup and fish, a dark suit would be the next best choice. After that, jacket & tie would be the next best.

As qsuzi and the philosopher Z. Z Top* say, "Everybody's crazy 'bout a Sharp Dressed Man."

*Yes, I know they're a band.

You got that right POA. He might not make it to the MDR in that tux. :D

I own a tux and hate wearing it. Formal attire is heading the way of the phonograph. I wear a suit for work and refuse to wear one on vacation. With the weight limits on airline bags these days, packing a tux or a suit takes up too much space. That being said, I would take a dinner jacket or regular jacket before I take a tux or suit.

A dinner jacket is a tux.

For men, renting is the best option. It's waiting in the cabin at embarkation, they can do last minute adjustments, you don't have to pack it or have it cleaned, and you are spared the need to pack a pair of dress shoes. My partner does it for every cruise and it has never failed.

I, on the other hand, wear my kilt, so I pretty much occupy the luggage space that he has vacated.

My DH always used to wear a Tux, although he did not really enjoy it. Then he lost some weight and it no longer fit. For him, that was the perfect excuse to go to a nice suit instead of paying for a new Tux or renting one. In our retirement times, no need at home for a Tux in 15 years.

On board, he feels perfectly comfortable in his suit, although a Tux would look great as well.

All the intercontinental flights we've been on allow two suitcases per passenger in economy class. My wife and I take a total of three suitcases. We always take my tux and two formal outfits for her and never exceed baggage weight limits. Furthermore, we always have plenty of clothes for all occasions. As noted previously, if you own a tux, it takes up no more space than a suit.

Consequently, I think those using baggage limits as an excuse for not carrying a tux on intercontinental flights are really groping for an excuse.