Transatlantic on the Prinsendam

DCParky

I've been away from Holland America for about 3 years, but have booked on the Prinsendam Transatlantic cruise this November. I have done one transatlantic before on Celebrity and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to doing it again on a smaller ship, going to ports I've never been to before. I'm excited about the Prinsendam since it's a smaller ship. Tell me I won't get bored after 15 days!! If anyone has some impressions of the ship and what to do on such a long cruise, I'd be grateful!

The Prinsendam has a very nice, if small, library. It also has a nice after dinner lounge with a piano and stringed instrument, supplemented by home-made chocolates which are not too sweet for those not addicted to chocolate.

The first of our dozen or so Holland America cruises was a transatlantic on the Prinsendam and we've sailed on her at least a half dozen times since and will again next month.

We did a w - bound transatlantic on Prinsendam about 10 years ago, she had just joined the HAL fleet. Prinsendam seems to be a ship that you either love or hate. She has many fans on this board. Unfortunately we thought that she was scruffy and the food was disappointing. Maybe things have improved - We also had a loud rattle in our bathroom which they seemed incapable of curing - this may have coloured our judgement. We thoroughly enjoy sea days so were not bored - but from memory there was not much organised entertainment.

If activities are important, maybe you would be better on a larger ship?

I've also been eyeing these cruises. Not ready to book; too much going on right now, but we just totally love the transatlantics. We don't care about the wear and tear of an older ship; we just love how you are treated like royalty on these long cruises on an older ship.

We have almost 200 days on the P'dam including 4 transatlantic cruises as she tends to sail wonderful itineraries and ports that she can get into - okay once we were on her for 132 days in a row. She sails so smoothly due to her unique hull design that even though I easily get sea sick, did not have any issues that a Dramamine now and again could not handle. You should meet some wonderful people as on a ship so small, you eventually get to meet most everyone - or no one depending on your preference. The service is amazing and the dining room manager is one of the best. She is a bit frayed around the edges but still elegant. The rooms seem just a bit smaller that other HAL ships but almost all have walk-in closets and king beds, if you do not want singles, instead of the queen beds on many ships. We were never bored as there was so much to do it cut into our relaxation and reading time as we do love our sea days! Some of the lecturers were amazing people and several got standing ovations after each talk. Enjoy your adventure!

Edited by take us away

Longest cruise was 45 days on the Prinsendam and loved every minute. It does feel like a "true old cruiser" which we love! We don't need gimmicks, fancy shows, etc...lovely library with good books, quiet reading places, good food, and great camaraderie among fellow passengers. We met 2 sets of friends on it that we still cruise with 5 years later. (Another benefit of a small ship, long itinerary...you get to know both passengers and crew which we enjoy.) (If you do "handwork"...i.e. needlework of any kind, knitting, etc. there are usually others you'll find doing it around the ship.)

You'll have a great time!

Edited by janmcn

We did a w - bound transatlantic on Prinsendam about 10 years ago, she had just joined the HAL fleet. Prinsendam seems to be a ship that you either love or hate. She has many fans on this board. Unfortunately we thought that she was scruffy and the food was disappointing. Maybe things have improved - We also had a loud rattle in our bathroom which they seemed incapable of curing - this may have coloured our judgement. We thoroughly enjoy sea days so were not bored - but from memory there was not much organised entertainment.

If activities are important, maybe you would be better on a larger ship?

We were on Prinsendam last summer, scruffy is a description I agree with. My biggest issue was the musty odor in our cabin, some hallways, and a couple public restrooms. I don't even want to know what was behind the walls in our cabin. We also had a loud rattle in our cabin and intense vibrations at times. Food was standard for the fleet. There was no table service in the Lido, just a guy picking up dirty dishes, laying down a packet of silverware. Dining room service was pretty good if we arrived when the DR opened, if we got there an hour later the servers did their best to try to keep up. Very nice dining staff. We had issues with the AC being off and the cabin terribly hot when we returned from port. We thought the cabin steward had adjusted the thermostat but he explained "the central system" was being adjusted. The cabin did cool down nicely in the evening but the cabin heated up to an uncomfortable level by the middle of the night.

I've been away from Holland America for about 3 years, but have booked on the Prinsendam Transatlantic cruise this November. I have done one transatlantic before on Celebrity and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to doing it again on a smaller ship, going to ports I've never been to before. I'm excited about the Prinsendam since it's a smaller ship. Tell me I won't get bored after 15 days!! If anyone has some impressions of the ship and what to do on such a long cruise, I'd be grateful!

We have a Prinsendam roll call started for the Nov 9 Transatlantic. Please visit it and join those of us who have had NOTHING but GREAT experiences on Prinsendam. Honest to gosh, I think there are some people on this website who thrive so much on negativity that they can't enjoy anything at all without complaining about it. Prinsendam is a unique ship and you'll enjoy every moment aboard if you give her the chance.

We've been on the Prinsendam twice.. First time to the Amazon for 25 days in 2006 & our second time 68 days around South America to Antarctica in 2013..

We love this ship.. When it was cold we spent our days either in the lovely library reading or if there was scenery to behold, in the Crows Nest.. On warm days we were out on the Promenade deck & were never bored.. The crew was wonderful, other Psgrs were friendly & the food was excellent.. Our Waiters in the MDR & our Cabin Stewards were fantastic!

Yes there were a few glitches, but not enough to put a damper on our cruise.. We were without air for a few days, in the beginning of the cruise, & also ended up with a fan... Things break down, even in our own home so we try not to fret the small stuff.. For instance, at home after the major Hurricane (Charlie) we were without electricity for 10 days.. We've also had many major breakdowns on our own sailboat & when I worked in the airline industry, we experienced major delays & schedule changes too.. But we survived in all instances..;) Our secret is to try to make lemonade out of lemons!:D

Toward the end of the 68 day cruise on the Prinsendam, we received a lovely letter of apology & a very generous OBC from the Guest Relations Mgr. who thanked us for our patience.. We had completely forgotten that we had air problems in the beginning of our cruise., but HAL gave us this generous OBC as a "gesture of goodwill".

We thought this was a nice touch..

We've done several trans-atlantics & have never been bored, as we so enjoy being out on the sea! On the Prinsendam they have computer classes, cooking classes, interesting lectures, board games, the latest books & the entertainment staff tries to keep every one engaged & happy..

Edited by serendipity1499

I did this cruise last November, and had a fantastic time. There was so much to do on the sea days, that it was sometimes hard to choose. There were movies, lectures, dance classes, so there was no time to be bored. The evening entertainment was also very good, although the stage is smaller than on the other, larger ships. Enjoy your cruise.

I did this cruise in 2013 and enjoyed every minute. We had good weather so I enjoyed lots of time outside, read a ton, went to lectures. Met a lot of nice people...being on a small ship really is conducive to meeting people. Food was fine, service good too. We've since jumped ship to Oceania, but I wouldn't turn down a trip on the P'dam.

We have been on three Transatlantic cruise the last one just last fall. Loved them all. There is as much or as little to do as you want, guest speakers, Digital Workshop, library etc. We're sure you'll enjoy it. Join the roll call & you'll meet lots of new friends & get involved in shore activities.

Allan & Marlane

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCParky View Post

We have a Prinsendam roll call started for the Nov 9 Transatlantic. Please visit it and join those of us who have had NOTHING but GREAT experiences on Prinsendam. Honest to gosh, I think there are some people on this website who thrive so much on negativity that they can't enjoy anything at all without complaining about it. Prinsendam is a unique ship and you'll enjoy every moment aboard if you give her the chance.

I don't think that commenting on some aspects of our cruise can possibly be seen as 'thriving on negativity'. The original poster asked for opinions - not 'positive only' opinions. I think that generally HAL is pretty good but I am not blind to its faults. Our cruise on Prisendam was blighted by several issues. It is hard not to enjoy a cruise but that does not automatically mean that everything is 100% all of the time.

Yes, come join our rollcall. You might want to read through some of the previous rollcalls for the Nov. sailings. I am one of her biggest fans. Yes, she is getting scruffy...not the public rooms, but the cabins aren't in perfect shape. I can't say I've smelled anything. As far as noise, we've heard noise in cabins on most every cruise line we've sailed, so I can't blame P. I think we had a marble in the ceiling on Regent! This will be our 5th cruise on her. I'm not concerned about the sea days because I've read there is lots to do. I hope you like her. When people hate her, they REALLY hate her...probably because she is pretty expensive so people expect a lot. The TA's are a good deal!

DW just reminded me that when we were on the Prinsendam for 62 days (including 2 TA crossings) one of the most popular activities onboard was "animal toss" (this is true). That being said, on our long Prinsendam cruises we always felt it was a very happy ship (both crew and passengers).

Hank

we were on a sixteen night TA last November. we loved it. we had to skip the azores and went to madeira instead. much better stop but added two days to the crossing giving us 8 in a row. wanted to take her from rome to Amsterdam on may 6th but couldn't work it out with our travel friends.

When people hate her, they REALLY hate her...probably because she is pretty expensive so people expect a lot.
I don't "hate" her but I got tired of the CD beating the "Elegant Explorer" drum when the only place I saw that I thought was any more elegant than the HAL S-class ships was the Oak Room.

We sailed the Prinsendam last September, and although it was a port intensive itinerary, I would not hesitate to book her again for any itinerary. We are walkers and loved the Promenade deck for walking. There is a nice quiet pool at the back of the ship where I enjoyed sitting and reading. The entertainment, including the production show cast and the Adagio duo were some of the best we have seen on a cruise. We thought our cabin was spacious and clean, and we appreciated the free launderette.

I don't "hate" her but I got tired of the CD beating the "Elegant Explorer" drum when the only place I saw that I thought was any more elegant than the HAL S-class ships was the Oak Room.

I am not a fan but hate is too strong a word. I found the EE tag line laughable, the dominant ship and wall decor seemed to be port plaques, given to a ship whenever it sails to a new port. These plaques were all over the place and kind of tacky. Very little artwork, the decor was monochrome and blah. Im not sure what the Oak room is. Musty odors and rotten woodwork. Broken down chaise lounges on the promenade deck. No padded loungers at either pool deck. Some people probably like the formal decor in the fixed dining room, to me it was flowery and old fashioned. I love cruise ships and have loved all but a couple. Did not like the Prinsendam.

Edited by sammiedawg

Im not sure what the Oak room is. Musty odors and rotten woodwork.
It's the small room between the Explorations Cafe and the Java Bar & Cafe. Some call it the Library while others say the Explorations Cafe is the Library, as it is on most HAL ships. I don't have a very keen sense of smell, so I wasn't bothered by musty smells.

3_oak_room2.jpg

Edited by jtl513

Had to smile about Sammiedawg's comment regarding "Old Fashioned." That is exactly correct. The Prinsendam is a throw-back to an era when cruise ships were ships as opposed to floating resorts. It is certainly a love it or dislike/hate it vessel. We think that since many HAL cruisers are also "Old Fashioned" (including moi) this is why we are attracted to the vessel. The last time we cruised on the P'Dam the Captain (recently retired Halle Gundersen) told us that the P'Dam had the highest percentage of "repeaters" of all the ships of the fleet.

Hank

It is certainly a love it or dislike/hate it vessel.
Not for me. I neither love it nor dislike it, just in between and more toward the like side. I liken it to a 2/3 sized Maasdam for much more money. I would sail her again only for a special itinerary.

Edited by jtl513

Had to smile about Sammiedawg's comment regarding "Old Fashioned." That is exactly correct. The Prinsendam is a throw-back to an era when cruise ships were ships as opposed to floating resorts. It is certainly a love it or dislike/hate it vessel. We think that since many HAL cruisers are also "Old Fashioned" (including moi) this is why we are attracted to the vessel. The last time we cruised on the P'Dam the Captain (recently retired Halle Gundersen) told us that the P'Dam had the highest percentage of "repeaters" of all the ships of the fleet.

Hank

I like an "old fashioned" ship as well. Norway was one of our favorites. We got the deal of the century on her....$300 for air/cabin from Detroit. But...they put us in a cabin so small (with bunk beds) one had to sit on the bed, while the other dressed because of lack of room. We still had a wonderful time! We also liked the original Noordam. That was also an old ship, but we still loved it!

Everyone likes something different. Our friends weren't impressed....they like big and new. I was accused of calling people "clods" for not liking P'dam. That was not true. I just don't believe it when people criticize the food and the service. That isn't an issue, or she wouldn't have the highest HAL repeater rate.