On the Noordam!

canadianbear

We are currently with some roll call members in Costa Rica & have wifi...please ignore any mistakes:

Well, I'm so happy all the surprises I had for my husband this trip all went well. From upgrading to first class on the plane to upgrading to a Neptune suite from a Signature suite was all kept a secret. I found it hard to not tell him but figured he would enjoy the surprises more. We also loved our tower king room at the Hyatt Pier 66 with the cruise ship view on the 14th floor. The only hiccup as some of you know is my suitcase that took a side trip some where between Vancouver, Dallas & Ft Lauderdale. Just happy to have listened to all of you on CC who always say fly in a couple of days early-the suitcase caught up to us after our first night.

April 20:

We were at the pier early and check in was a breeze. We figured we might as well sit there and use their free wifi than at the hotel to pass the time. We started boarding promptly at 11:30 and it was quick.

The Liberty of the Seas was in front of us (which annoyed me because I couldn't see the Noordam from our hotel room earlier because of this!!). We assumed she would go first and then us around 4pm.

At 4pm it was obvious we'd be awhile before sailing because they were still loading luggage onto our ship which wasn't finished until 4:30. No idea why the delay in loading the luggage but we were informed our departure would also be delayed but no reason why at this point or how long.

Liberty of Seas looked like she was ready to go but then we saw the Fire truck & rescue vehicles coming and they took a stretcher aboard her. Not sure what happened after that but she wasn't delayed too long. Our captain did say we would be delayed.

About 5:45 the Captain announced a further delay as it was more serious than first thought and they had been in touch with Seattle and it appears to be a problem with the starboard azipod. At this point it was now raining with some lightening so we decided to head in to get ready for supper. We have any time diming and we asked to join anyone at a small table. As luck would have it we sat with another couple that was on our roll call! We didn't figure this out for about 10 minutes but imagine-of all the people in the dining room and this happened! Was very enjoyable.

At 6:15 the Captain announced it seemed to be a mooring line caught in the azipod and divers were being called in which meant at least 3 more hours in port. We were finally on our way at 10pm.

April 21: sea day/formal night

Breakfast in the Pinnacle is one of my favourite ways to start the day and my hubby joined me. (He prefers Lido breakfast so we switch back and forth). For me it's a treat but for him he just comes because I like it and to keep me company. Gabor is the host.

My husband is an awesome cook so we went to the culinary presentation to see what they were preparing.

The chef is Mani & the hostess is Samantha. This is their first time working together & meeting each other. He's very quiet & she's a chatterer & we thought they were very funny & will be great together. One of the things Chef Mani was making was Creme brûlée and it was delicious-I've never tasted it before.

Before I forget: Captain is Jeroen Van Donselaar; hotel director is Craig Oakes; Cruise director is Mark (not sure of last name), and our Neptune concierge are Glenn Olorvida and Cathy Santiago. Joanne Croker is the future cruise consultant.

While Wandering the ship we met a couple that my husband knew from when he work so the 4 of has had dinner together for formal night. I saw several men in tuxedos (and looked dashing) and others saw that men that were not wearing jackets when arriving were given one.

Delicious dinner-my husband had the lamb and I had the land & sea. Both our dinners were perfect.

We went to the Vista Lounge for the Bande Artistique show (a theatrical variety type show with only 2 performers). It's not for all but we enjoyed it & was quite funny.

Some of you that are reading this and will be getting on in San Diego will be happy to know the ship is looking spiffy. In most areas she has brand new carpet including the staterooms. I noticed right away in our room as it felt so "cushiony" when I took my shoes off. (Also May 6 is listed as formal night).

Wednesday April 22: sea day

We had an informal meet & greet in the morning and it was nice to put faces to the names on CC. We confirmed up some private excursions and then all went our own ways.

We were warned that it would be rough today & as it turned out I had to leave the Culinary presentation part way through. Never had that happen before on a ship but felt nauseous. Went to the cabin, took some gravol & just rested for most of the day. Many people were worse off. By late afternoon I was fine thankfully.

The show tonight was comedian Buzz Sutherland. He was very funny & the theatre was full. We really enjoyed his show. After that I had to try the drink of the day as I've heard about it from various CC'ers: the Sunsicle. YUM!! It's very refreshing. (Cruzan vanilla rum, with oranges, lemons, topped with splash of soda).

Thursday April 23: Cartagena, Columbia

We did a private tour with 8 others from our roll call with Dora. This port was a short stay, 08:00-13:00 with all aboard at 12:30. We had a great group and would certainly recommend Dora Tours. Our guide was Mercedes who was excellent. Our van driver was also great-I don't think any of us would ever want to drive here-pretty crazy at times.

It was way too hot for me so we hit the pool after our excursion which was nice & refreshing.

We had reservations at the Canaletto to celebrate our 32nd anniversary and invited our friends to join us. Our travel agent kindly gave us this and a dinner at Pinnacle which we've booked for later in the cruise with these friends as well. Things have changed at the Canaletto since the last time we dined there. It is suggested you share two 'small plates' (appetizers), one pasta dish to share, and one 'large' plate to share. You can still order these as one per person too if you like. All of us enjoyed our meals and the service was great. ($10 pp)

We went to the 10pm show in the Vista lounge which was "All for Love" which was the singers/dancer doing some of the world's greatest love songs. It was announced at the show that our entry to Panama was changed from 06:00 to 08:00.

Friday, April 24-Panama Canal

Our first experience going through the Canal.

It was nice having the bow decks open for the approach to the canal so we just walked to the front of ship on deck 7 since our cabin is on deck 7-nice & convenient. Weather was cloudy, then sunny, then a few minutes of showers then sunny again. Hot & humid is certainly not something we are used to. Spent a fascinating day watching this process. It really is amazing.

We then went to the MDR and sat with a couple from Australia. Turkey dinner was on the menu which 3 out of the 4 of us ordered and were very satisfied. We were too late to make the 8pm show so just wandered the ship, played some cards and then off to bed.

Saturday, April 25-sea day/formal night

A relaxing day at the pool swimming, playing cards, and visiting with people.

We booked dinner tonight early for 6pm and were seated upstairs. Our server told us if we wanted early seating this particular table was available but we prefer anytime.

After dinner we sat and listed to the first show BB King Blues Club in the Queens Club. Clocks fall back an hour so an extra hour sleep tonight!

Sunday, April 26: Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

We booked a private excursion with other roll call members with Odyssey Tours. The sunrise was beautiful this morning at 05:23.

What a wonderful report. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Remember when we met quite by accident at breakfast in Pinnacle? It was a delight sailing with you and your DH.

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Enjoy the beautiful Noordam all spruced up after her dry dock.

Thanks for the update on the Noordam. Copper has been posting pictures of some of the carpet replacements, some look very interesting. Nice to hear that the Neptune Suites have new carpet too. Still wondering who's fault it was about the mooring line getting tangeled on the azipod. Have you had a chance to catch up with Copper? I know he is leaving in SD. Wondering if there will be a big change in staff there.

OP:

You are so lucky to have Chef Mani.

We've done the Cooking Classes with him several times and they have always been the best! Samantha will talk while he cooks. He is quite shy!

Super that you have Copper10-8. I'd feel very safe!!

Thanks for the posting. Great reading!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thank you for checking in.

Glad all your surprises for your DH turned out well.

As for suitcases -- did you remember to split DH and your items between the suitcases? No matter how long the cruise is, we always take 4 suitcases and split everything among them. Thus if 1 suitcase goes astray, we have clothes. And like you we do fly in 2 or 3 days early.

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

Thank you for checking in.

Glad all your surprises for your DH turned out well.

As for suitcases -- did you remember to split DH and your items between the suitcases? No matter how long the cruise is, we always take 4 suitcases and split everything among them. Thus if 1 suitcase goes astray, we have clothes. And like you we do fly in 2 or 3 days early.

Glad you are having a wonderful time.

That's always a good packing plan.

Thanks for the update on the Noordam. Copper has been posting pictures of some of the carpet replacements, some look very interesting. Nice to hear that the Neptune Suites have new carpet too. Still wondering who's fault it was about the mooring line getting tangeled on the azipod. Have you had a chance to catch up with Copper? I know he is leaving in SD. Wondering if there will be a big change in staff there.

Could you please tell me where you found these pictures of the new carpets/ post drydock refurbs.?

Just a quick reply while in Guatemala. Am looking forward (but not too fast) to seeing everyone on board in San Diego. Apparently Cathy is getting off in San Diego (the concierge from the Neptune-darn, she's such a sweetheart!)

We have hopefully made arrangements to meet Copper for lunch since my husband is a retired police officer they will have some stories I'm sure.

The internet is not what I would call fast at all....can be down right frustrating to say the least and disconnects when you least expect it!

The cost is: $55 for 100 minutes; $100 for 250 minutes; $175 for 500 minutes; $250 for 1000 minutes; or pay as you go at 75 cents a minute.

Still loving our cruise-calm seas, beautiful sunny weather.

Just a quick reply while in Guatemala. Am looking forward (but not too fast) to seeing everyone on board in San Diego. Apparently Cathy is getting off in San Diego (the concierge from the Neptune-darn, she's such a sweetheart!)

We have hopefully made arrangements to meet Copper for lunch since my husband is a retired police officer they will have some stories I'm sure.

The internet is not what I would call fast at all....can be down right frustrating to say the least and disconnects when you least expect it!

The cost is: $55 for 100 minutes; $100 for 250 minutes; $175 for 500 minutes; $250 for 1000 minutes; or pay as you go at 75 cents a minute.

Still loving our cruise-calm seas, beautiful sunny weather.

I am so envious! I would love to meet Copper someday. Hope you all have a great lunch. :)