Reporting in from a slow boat to Vancouver...

shrimp56

We boarded ms Volendam in Kobe yesterday after spending 12 splendid days in Japan. Report will be sporadic depending on ship's internet and other factors... But I did want to check in as we steam slowly to Tokyo for our first port.

Volendam looks great! There are some odd rug choices and the flower paintings are gone from the dining room, but other than the totally trashed Explorer's Lounge all is well. Elevators are a lovely silvery gray and there are new days of the week rugs. Neptunes have new rug, sofa, chairs and bathroom fixtures.

I will post a picture of the Explorer's Lounge damage next post. The good news is that A LOT of upper level staff on Volendam have made their views know to various upper levels of HAL etc... I wouldn't give a time table on it, but my sense is that it will eventually be made right.

YAY!!! Great!!!!! I love this cruise!!

Thanks for starting this thread. Will look forward to your posts. You sure know how to get the suspense going from day 1.

Please say Hi to Ruth C from SilvertoGold and thank the Rev for the twitter photos.

We boarded ms Volendam in Kobe yesterday after spending 12 splendid days in Japan. Report will be sporadic depending on ship's internet and other factors... But I did want to check in as we steam slowly to Tokyo for our first port.

Volendam looks great! There are some odd rug choices and the flower paintings are gone from the dining room, but other than the totally trashed Explorer's Lounge all is well. Elevators are a lovely silvery gray and there are new days of the week rugs. Neptunes have new rug, sofa, chairs and bathroom fixtures.

I will post a picture of the Explorer's Lounge damage next post. The good news is that A LOT of upper level staff on Volendam have made their views know to various upper levels of HAL etc... I wouldn't give a time table on it, but my sense is that it will eventually be made right.

do you have unlimited internet?

Thank you for reporting form the Volendam.

Would really appreciate if you are able to post a photo of the new look Neptune Suites, as well as the down grading of the Explorers Lounge.

Wishing you a marvellous cruise to Vancouver.

Internet is not unlimited.

Here's the picture of the damage.

image.jpg1_zpst8lef3da.jpg

Neptune pics soon. We had a good M&G. Looked like about 50 noisey, happy sailors. We were in conflict with a Neptune reception, but a number of officers dropped by, including the Captain. Apparently we are following Princess around the Pacific. RuthC and RevNeal were there and it was such a pleasure to meet them both. CD is Carlos. Very personable and energetic.

Well, I'll X out the Volendam for cruises in the future...what they did to the Explorers' Lounge is dreadful: cheap, unappetizing, definitely not a place to relax in during the day (nor at night!). One of my favorite lounges...no longer. Thanks for the report.

I'm speechless at the Explorer's Lounge photo. That used to be such a lovely area. So comfortable and welcoming. What were they thinking???!!!

Thank you so much for checking in with us. Hope your time in Japan was wonderful.

Have a great cruise and if you have the opportunity, kindly pass along my best to Ruth and Rev.

Safe sailing.....

Thanks KK for keeping me straight. Apparently I was so excited about the showers, I didn't notice what they had done to the Explorer Lounge.

:D Don't feel bad, Melodie. I also missed whatever photos were previously posted. :shrug:

Oh my, the Explorer's Lounge looks more like a quick stop coffee shop, rather than a place you can spend time relaxing and enjoying some music and a drink. Let's hope it's a 1 time thing and not fleet-wide.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am horrified. Firstly the Volendam was one of my favourite ships along with Rotterdam and now I do not want to go back. Glad our recent cruise in Australia was immediately before refit.

I cannot imagine our comfortable evenings listening to the duo after dinner in there, so I guess I will not be going back.

aaaargh, I almost burst into tears when I saw that photo of Explorers' Lounge.

I'll be on Volendam out of Vancouver in August and really looking forward to more of your reports and photos. Enjoy your cruise!

Standing in line at Miraikan Museum Tokyo to see Floating Flower Garden. 55 min wait. Harumi Port is so convenient.

That is a long wait. My legs and back couldn't handle that.

Don't write Volendam off yet. My bet is that it will be rectified in the next 6 months. She's still a honey of a ship with a great crew.

Hope they do over the Explorer's Lounge.

Don't like the new Explorers Lounge, I also hope that this is not something HAL is doing to it`s ships when they go into dry dock. We also liked to go and sit & listen but the chairs do not look very comfortable. makes one wonder who came up with this idea.

Allan