Neurovirus

slotl

The Maasdam just had a neurovirus attack. See attached link:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-hal-maasdam-sick-cruise-20150501-story.html

On our world cruise on the Amsterdam, we were in code red for 3 weeks because passengers did not quarantine themselves.

It is called "norovirus", is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans.

The Maasdam reported 6% of passengers and 2% of crew were affected. Sorry for the 6%, but hurray! for the 94%.

Cruise ships are just about the only place that is required to report norovirus. Chuck E. Cheese doesn't report, Disneyland doesn't report. Las Vegas doesn't report.

The news doesn't report where the Maasdam visited. I'm sure all the port towns were squeaky clean, and the local taco bars were Grade AAA+ (or better).

My advice, other than wash your hands, is stay away from the green shrimp. Sure, them little guys look all festive with their strange color and notable aroma, but it's just not worth it.

"neurovirus attack"

It happens all the time, people are always nervous before boarding, after a few days the virus will go away, because people calm down...

Cute! I was wondering if it was a new virus.

It is called "norovirus", is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans.

The Maasdam reported 6% of passengers and 2% of crew were affected. Sorry for the 6%, but hurray! for the 94%.

Cruise ships are just about the only place that is required to report norovirus. Chuck E. Cheese doesn't report, Disneyland doesn't report. Las Vegas doesn't report.

The news doesn't report where the Maasdam visited. I'm sure all the port towns were squeaky clean, and the local taco bars were Grade AAA+ (or better).

My advice, other than wash your hands, is stay away from the green shrimp. Sure, them little guys look all festive with their strange color and notable aroma, but it's just not worth it.

I couldn't help but LOL at this reply.

Thanks for the smiles on a busy Monday :) :) :)

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

Where did 'neuro-virus' come from? Bad enough gastrointestinal but hope we don't now have to worry about neurologic illness. :eek:

Mad cow disease.:rolleyes:

Already banned for life from donating blood because I "may have" been exposed to Mad Cow Disease in Germany in the 80's so that's where my brain went when I saw the thread title. It was a nanosecond of "oh no.....now cruising!" :eek::D

Even though it's not a funny subject, the last part about the shrimp made me laugh. :D

Lorie

The Maasdam just had a neurovirus attack. See attached link:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-hal-maasdam-sick-cruise-20150501-story.html

On our world cruise on the Amsterdam, we were in code red for 3 weeks because passengers did not quarantine themselves.

slotl you might try sending a message to the Moderators about the title of your thread & see if they would be willing to correct it..:) Normally they will not correct titles, but in this case they might do it for you so other posters will not be confused..

Neurovirus is a vaccine which attacks the Nervous system tissue & is not spread from patient to patient..

Norovirus attacks the gastro-intestinal system, & can be spread from patient to patient..

The URL you quoted is discussing the Norovirus which can spread very quickly on board ships, planes, daycares, schools, adult care facilities etc..

Edited by serendipity1499

those whi have bloodgroup O are most vulnerable to Noro.

People with A, B or AB much less so.

Remember to wash your hands regulary.

On the other hand, being germaphobic plays into the hands of virii and bacteria as you reduce your immunity. Our bodies NEED bacteria to "train" the immune system. No bacteria, no immunity.

On the other hand, being germaphobic plays into the hands of virii and bacteria as you reduce your immunity. Our bodies NEED bacteria to "train" the immune system. No bacteria, no immunity.

It does seem there is something to the fact so many among us use the anti-bacterials way too freely. Plain old soap and water is so preferable. Sure in a hospital setting the anti-bacterials make sense but do we need them at every sink, on every counter, in every house? Unless one has an insufficient immune system, most of us would do well to make far less use of these products.

I think the cruise ships do a disservice to insist upon their use at every food venue. It gives too many a false sense their hands have been adequately cleansed against noro like virus but that is not the case. Most (some say all) are not effective against noro virus.

Edited by sail7seas

Woo-Hoo !!! For once I'm happy to have a less common blood type! :)

It does seem there is something to the fact so many among us use the anti-bacterials way too freely. Plain old soap and water is so preferable. Sure in a hospital setting the anti-bacterials make sense but do we need them at every sink, on every counter, in every house? Unless one has an insufficient immune system, most of us would do well to make far less use of these products.

I think the cruise ships do a disservice to insist upon their use at every food venue. It gives too many a false sense their hands have been adequately cleansed against noro like virus but that is not the case. Most (some say all) are not effective against noro virus.

Amen!

I think it is the "quick fix" or "for show" thing.

Well Doctor, I think you bring up an interesting point. Perhaps you could bring that up at the next AMA meeting. At least publish a paper on how we're all getting soft from being too clean. After a peer review I bet we get down to the truth (anti bacterial conspiracy?). Until then, and as long as we are in close quarters on a cruise ship, I think we should go with what the experts have determined.

Absolutely correct. Note the CDC rarely says anything about anti-bacterial washes. Usually it is just "plain soap and water".

As someone who recently had to rewrite a hand washing policy for a health care facility I can tell you that the CDC guidelines themselves, even though they encourage regular hand washing with soap and water, acknowledge that the evidence for the efficacy of this is "very low" ( their words not mine). They recommend this because it is still considered to be important. It is especially important when the hands are visibly contaminated and during gastrointestinal outbreaks.However, effective washing is rarely performed even by health care workers, so I think the reliability of hand washing alone with the lay public is pretty poor. Also if the person touches the taps before washing they spread contamination to the next person by this means.

There is stronger evidence for alcohol based rubs ( not antibacterial ) of greater than 60% alcohol.

The World Health Organization Guidelines recommend alcohol based rubs always, with hand washing when the hands are soiled. When used properly ( so that it takes almost a minute for your hands to dry after application) they are quite effective. If you use too little , so that your hands dry too quickly, they are less effective.

If I wanted to minimize my own risk of infection I would do both for sure.

Edited by Fizzer59

As someone who recently had to rewrite a hand washing policy for a health care facility I can tell you that the CDC guidelines themselves, even though they encourage regular hand washing with soap and water, acknowledge that the evidence for the efficacy of this is "very low" ( their words not mine). They recommend this because it is still considered to be important. It is especially important when the hands are visibly contaminated and during gastrointestinal outbreaks.However, effective washing is rarely performed even by health care workers, so I think the reliability of hand washing alone with the lay public is pretty poor. Also if the person touches the taps before washing they spread contamination to the next person by this means.

There is stronger evidence for alcohol based rubs ( not antibacterial ) of greater than 60% alcohol.

The World Health Organization Guidelines recommend alcohol based rubs always, with hand washing when the hands are soiled. When used properly ( so that it takes almost a minute for your hands to dry after application) they are quite effective. If you use too little , so that your hands dry too quickly, they are less effective.

If I wanted to minimize my own risk of infection I would do both for sure.

Exactly. I do wish some posters would stop trying to discourage the use of alcohol or purell sanitizers. My feeling is at least it cannot hurt, and quite likely helps. I understand that the wipes are more effective, however.

It's the alcohol content ( and type ) that is important, as it is effective at killing many bacteria and also viruses in a way that soap and water will not. It will not work of the hands are covered in poop, grease etc., which is why washing is recommended first. In that case wipes would help. To the extent that you would not need to touch something that someone else has touched if using your own wipes then they might help.

Antibacterial soaps etc that are not alcohol based are no more effective than regular soap and water, which is where many get confused I think.