MS Volendam vs. Vista class ship for Alaska from Vancouver

ren0312

So how do these 2 ships compare? What are the good and bad points? The Volendam is older, but I have been on the Century and found it to be quite likable, and I do not care about entertainment choices at all or activities since I spend the days at sea watching TV, using the internet center, or hitting the buffet tables, so how good the food is plus the state of the rooms are likely to be a more important concern. I have not made up which cruise line to try yet for my planned Alaska cruise next year, since I am looking for the cruise line with the rail excursion from Skagway.

Edited by ren0312

The Vista class ships are larger. The one big thing for me is the Volendam has cabins along the 'walking deck' where the vista class don't. If I go ocean view I want one these cabins, that is my preference. Having said that generally a balcony will be a lot less expensive (because there are so many more of them) on a vista class, so if you are looking for a verandah that might help make your decision.

A Verandah on the Volendam will be much smaller than the Signature Suites on the larger ships that often go for near similar cost. Compare them. HUGE diff in comfort in my opinion. If you like being in your cabin and on your verandah, the larger ship and the Signature Suite (no need to go all the way to a Neptune Suite IMO) will serve you well.

Volendam has a mid-week departure. That has advantages and disadvantages. It's up to you to determine if the one outweighs the other, based on the way you prefer to travel.

Edited by buckirj1