A Different Travel Agent Question

richwmn

Today on Yahoo finance you will find an article about jobs that are in a decline. The second one listed is Travel Agents. The article concludes with "Job prospects should be best for travel agents who specialize in specific destinations or groups with special interests or agents for corporate travelers."

It was not that long ago that the Travel Agent provided a service. When you went to one it was very likely that someone in the office had visited your destination and could give you information about it. While this may still be true now, it seems that most entities that are billed as Travel Agencies are essentially booking agents that want to book your cruise and have little or no responsibility after the fact.

So the question becomes "Is there still a place for Travel Agents?" or should the Cruise Lines follow the example of the Airlines and drop the commission to them and allow those who want or need the services of a full service agency to pay that agency separately?

There are still people who like to use a travel agent, but with so much information available on the internet, I can see where the demise of agencies is in the not too distant future. We've made our own arrangements - air, hotels, transfers, cruises, for the past 10 years or more, and can't think of a reason why we would use an agent.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I believe there is still a place for travel agents. More folks than we think either have no computer or are not technologically savvy enough to book their own travel. TAs have become similar to doctors and attorneys in that they specialize to be more effective and provide a greater added value quotient.

I think there is still a role for travel agents. I was one in the 1980s when commissions were great from airlines and cruise lines but I fear if cruise lines no longer give commissions to TAs, that will be the end for them. Some people prefer the assistance that agents provide and I think it is important for those travelers to have someone to go to.

Until I joined Cruise Critic, I thought Travel Agents were a thing of the past. Something people needed before internet, before travel became so common. You just don't see that many around here. But to each their own, I can understand how some people may not feel up to handling these things on their own.

I have never felt the need to use one, as I like to handle everything myself. The once or twice we have used one, we were very disappointed.

That article paints a rosier picture for travel agents than I predict. The number of agents dropped 30% in just four years from 2008 to 2012, yet the Bureau of Labor Statistics thinks it will drop just 12% more in 2022.

I do not know what distinguishes a travel agent from an order taker. In the old days I dealt with storefront travel agents who had no clue about the places I wanted to go, but were able to book airfare to get me there.

We see two different issues. We book all of our cruises (and we have been on an awful lot of cruises to 6 continents) through "Cruise/Travel Agencies" who always give us deals that save 7-10% over the cost of booking the same cruise directly from the cruise line.

But, as far as using a travel agent because of their so-called "expertise" we are not generally impressed and find no need. When we take extended land trips (often combined with one or more cruises) to places like Europe or New Zealand we simply spend some time online doing our own "homework" and bookings.

Hank

There are still people who like to use a travel agent, but with so much information available on the internet, I can see where the demise of agencies is in the not too distant future. We've made our own arrangements - air, hotels, transfers, cruises, for the past 10 years or more, and can't think of a reason why we would use an agent.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Totally agree. Over my 20-year cruising history I've certainly seen the reduction of TAs. Looking back I'd say the "perfect storm" happened or really got going in the early to mid 90's and really got going after 9/11. We had the pretty significant drop off in personal travel that hurt just about every aspect from air to cruising to resorts. These were the bread and butter of TAs. Simultaneously we had an immense growth in computers, the Internet, and the amount of information available at your finger tips exploded. Follow that with, and not in any particular order or degree of impact or completeness, a long and sustained conflict, drug wars in Central and South America, rising operational costs for vacation providers, and a sustained and long lasting recession.

This is not to say there will be a day when there are no TAs but I certainly don't see it as a growth industry. I can name or think of more brick and mortar agencies I've known of that simply don't exist today and they haven't been replaced.

I believe there is still a place for travel agents. More folks than we think either have no computer or are not technologically savvy enough to book their own travel. TAs have become similar to doctors and attorneys in that they specialize to be more effective and provide a greater added value quotient.

Jim,

I'm with you 100% on this issue, especially on specialization.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “A person who represents himself has a fool for a client." and I would add, "and a fool for a lawyer." IMO this also applies to people who do their own travel arrangements in order to save a buck or two. While there are many aspects of travel on which I am reasonably competent, there are many, many others on which I need help and am not too proud to ask for it. So I'm grateful to have a really great TA and will gladly pay any premium for her services.

Smooth sailing,

Rod.

I see no good reason to use an agent. I know what I want and I book it. I don't need my hand held. The TA's in the past have been mediocre to just plain lazy.

I agree!

Once 15 yrs. ago I had an extraordinary TA. She gave me what I call "The Nordstrom Experience" IMO. She retired and since then I research decide,educate myself, and then book with HAL. Actually now with my PCC whom I just received through HAL after this last trip in March, I knew what I wanted for the Med cruise called her knew what room I wanted, and she went ahead and booked for me.

I prefer going through HAL either by myself booking, or now with PCC since I can call and discuss my booking and not have to call a TA who has to call HAL on my behalf!

Denise

We generally use discount TA companies, the big so called Internet cruise and vacation agencies to secure fairly sizable discounts. They are not full service agencies but do a competent job with the reservation. We are independent travelers and enjoy the planning process. On a few occasions I used a full service Oceania expert TA to teach me the ins and outs of Oceania and to handle a more exotic cruise itinerary requiring visas. Discount agents may not have exotic travel experience or understand visas. We've also booked a few Oceania cruises with discount agencies and had no problems.

HAL and Princess bookings are pretty straight forward and Internet agents do fine with them.

We've started booking Disney vacations which is a different animal altogether. I'm working with the agency affiliated with Disney. Disney has relationships with a handful of agencies that may provide a small onboard credit not available elsewhere.

We've got a TA who's a real jewel, very knowledgeable and I think that makes a difference. We book all of our transportation needs with her. She doesn't charge for any of her services and we get the same prices or a bit less than we could if we booked ourselves.

We certainly don't need someone to hold our hand but is IS nice to know someone has your back when you're away traveling. As I said in another thread, we started using a TA when we did our extended touring in Great Britain, Amsterdam, and Paris. She took care of ticketing all of the planes, trains and ships we used. It was comforting to know that if something went wrong with the transportation she had our back.

For Cruises - She takes care of the booking and final payment, advises on Trip insurance, requests adjustments for price reduction, orders DH's wheelchair assistance and when we had to cancel because of DH's medical problem she took care of getting the insurance forms for us, filling out a great deal of the information and filing it.

I'm sure we could function without her ... but life is simply easier with her :)

Jim,

I'm with you 100% on this issue, especially on specialization.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “A person who represents himself has a fool for a client." and I would add, "and a fool for a lawyer." IMO this also applies to people who do their own travel arrangements in order to save a buck or two. While there are many aspects of travel on which I am reasonably competent, there are many, many others on which I need help and am not too proud to ask for it. So I'm grateful to have a really great TA and will gladly pay any premium for her services.

Smooth sailing,

Rod.

I'd love to hear how you save a buck or two booking your own. None of the TAs I've ever used charged anything for booking.

We have spent 5 of the last 10 months travelling. Europe for 2, SE Asia, Australia, NZ, Hawaii for three months.

Lots of air segments, hotels, ferrys, trains, car rentals, a bus, and 3 cruises. We had no issue making all the arrangements on our own. We simply did not need a travel agent. The web allows us to shop and do it much easier and faster than dealing with a TA. The only time we used a TA was to book preselected cruises and obtain our TA OBC's.

A few years ago we ended up at a vineyard B&B high up in the Duoro Valley. It was magic. The other 8 guests (from all over the world) also found their way to this out of the way place. Put it down to the power of the web. No TA for any of these guests...most of whom were retirees.

We did use a South African TA for part of our tour to Africa three years ago. Tried a 'specialized' local agent where we live but were not overly impressed with the information or the pricing. Then got in touch with a recommended TA resident in South Africa. She was very, very good. We communicated by email and Skype. No different that if she had been down the street.

We do a lot of independent travel. Now our approach will be to try and get a good TA within the country that we need assistance which in our case will probably be somewhere in South America next.

As people become more net savvy I have no doubt that the number of TA's will decrease even further. We also believe in the 80/20 rule of sales. 80 percent of the TA commissions will be realized by the 20 percent of TA's who are specialized, are subject matter experts, and provide outstanding service. I do not think that these people will have to be local to their clients. The days of insisting on B&M agents are quickly disappearing now that many of the bottom feeders have left the industry.

Edited by iancal

We have spent 5 of the last 10 months travelling. Europe for 2, SE Asia, Australia, NZ, Hawaii for three months.

Lots of air segments, hotels, ferrys, trains, car rentals, a bus, and 3 cruises. We had no issue making all the arrangements on our own. We simply did not need a travel agent. The web allows us to shop and do it much easier and faster than dealing with a TA.

A few years ago we ended up at a vineyard B&B high up in the Duoro Valley. It was magic. The other 8 guests (from all over the world) also found their way to this out of the way place. Put it down to the power of the web. No TA for any of these guests...most of whom were retirees.

We did use a South African TA for part of our tour to Africa three years ago. Tried a 'specialized' local agent where we live but were not overly impressed with the information or the pricing. Then got in touch with a recommended TA resident in South Africa. She was very, very good. We communicated by email and Skype. No different that if she had been down the street.

We do a lot of independent travel. Now our approach will be to try and get a good TA within the country that we need assistance which in our case will probably be somewhere in South America next.

I love being able to find your own info. When I think back to the days you had to trust a ta for everything I'm so happy those days are over. I'm amazed at some of the untruths that I hear on this board that come from TAs.

I stopped trusting travel agents in 1993 when one blatantly lied to us to get a booking. For a few years after that, I did book flights through them but once I got on the net, that was the end of that. I do all my own arrangements and there have been a lot with our upcoming 6 weeks holiday.

We've been using a local TA for 12 years and will continue to do so as long as he is in business. I decide on all the details of a cruise and send them to him for booking. I give a general idea of what flights we want and leave it to him to find good prices and connections. He often gives us some discounts, OBC, or gifts of a PG dinner or similar.

However, the main reason we go to him is to have help in case of any problems, and the convenience of him handling any changes. If I see a price drop, I send an email to have him negotiate with HAL for either OBC or a free upgrade. If a flight gets changed to something iffy I leave it up to him to straighten it out. Once he called with a special deal before I heard about it on CC. Once when we had to cancel a trip (non-cruise) I just sent him an email to take care of cancelling everything, and getting my insurance refund.

In other words, he is my "headache" insurance.

Edited by jtl513

Since the advent of internet it is so easy to just book everything yourself. However, while I still do that, I use a TA to get a better price and/or OBC for my cruises. I have been known to shop my booking around TA's until I found one who offered the best perks. Sometimes they come in handy, too, especially if you are onboard and have an issue which you cannot get resolved - an email to your TA to contact Seattle is very handy.;)

We have never used a TA. I do remember my parents TA as she became a family friend. She not only arranged my parents travel but often with her husband traveled with my parents. Different times but always thought that was pretty cool.

I always prided myself as being an astute traveler who did well booking my own hotel, air, rental car, cruises, etc. until I met "Angela," a local travel agent whose office just happened to be next to a store I frequented. I went in, told her we were looking at a cruise, and from then on for over 5 years had an outstanding relationship with her. She had access to flight schedules that I didn't know about (no, Kayak, etc. doesn't have them all) and was able to let me know the best locations on the ships, itineraries, etc. One day she called and said "I know the answer, but I legally have to ask you...Do you want to upgrade to Business Class for $x (can't remember the cost...under $200) on your trip to Auckland? I need your answer now since I'm on the phone with the airlines." She always booked the seats we preferred, was able to get lower prices on almost all cruises, air, hotels than I ever found...and she always kept me in the loop and informed...and reminded about things. On several cruises she obtained excellent upsells for us. Alas, she retired and her replacement is not going to keep my business, so we are trying another TA company that comes highly recommended here...but I don't think we'll ever find another "Angela."

I'd love to hear how you save a buck or two booking your own. None of the TAs I've ever used charged anything for booking.

I was puzzled about this too. :confused:

If anything, people use TAs to save a buck (extra perks), not the other way around. :confused:

Just not for me. Half the fun for me is the planning and researching. We have never had a problem doing this and certainly don't feel like "fools"!

I was puzzled about this too. :confused:

If anything, people use TAs to save a buck (extra perks), not the other way around. :confused:

Just not for me. Half the fun for me is the planning and researching. We have never had a problem doing this and certainly don't feel like "fools"!

My definition of booking on my own is using an Internet TA that rebates me a portion of their commission either in the form of cash or substantial OBC. We've typically saved 10-12% over the published fare so I'm not talking a "buck or two" for our typical booked category and longer cruises. We have absolutely no problem, and actually enjoy, researching and planning our own cruises, flights, and hotels. i have yet to find, and I've tested it a number of times, a TA that could do as well much less better than we can do.

Agree.

Imagine this.

-cruise lines drop their prices by 20 percent to those cruisers who book on their web sites with no interpersonal interfaces

-cruise lines offer a price protection option for 15 percent of the fare that would protect you for price decreases up to 14 days prior to departure.

-cruise lines charge those people who want a PCC the extra 20 percent or specific fees for specific services.

-cruise lines charge those who have booked on the web a fee every time they call a CSR and request booking related actions-whether it be change of cabin, re-price, or some sort of excursion or change in dining reservation

-TA's have an upcharge for booking a cruise - 15-20 percent based upon service provided OR a sliding scale based on services rendered. Something approximating the decrease in cruise fare.

I believe that you would see an amazing number of people migrating from TA's and PCCs to do it yourself web booking.

But, knowing the cruise lines, prices would quickly creep back up to the original levels and we would still have to pay for the add on service over and above do it yourself web booking.