temperature in Antarctica and south America

One word: layers.

Lots and lots of layers.

Where are you embarking? If in Buenos Aires it is mid-summer and could be 90F. But even before heading south of Cape Horn the weather is often blustery and damp-to-the-bone in Ushuaia or Punta Arenas.

And are you on a cruise just "sailing by" Antarctica, or offering expeditions on landing craft? Big difference in what you will need to pack for either.

And don't forget that beyond winter clothes you will still need to pack attire for evenings and sea days on the ship. So a little more info as to what ship you are on, and the embark/disembark ports, will net you more specific advice. And welcome to Cruise Critic.

I was there Dec/Jan (a few years ago) so it'll have been supposedly colder than Jan/Feb.

What you need also depends on where you live at the moment, so what temperatures you are used to. I live in the UK, so Ushuaia seemed fairly warm (I think it was around 10 degrees C) and so did Falklands and S Georgia. Even Antarctica was okay in the main (it was warmer on the Antarctic peninsula than it was back home at the time in the UK!!!).

It also depends whether you are also going down to the Antarctic mainland, or only going as far south as the top of the Peninsula. I really needed my warm padded boots and down jacket for the zodiac rides off that Antarctic mainland, through all the bergy bits. That was when it was the coldest.

If you're from a part of the world that doesn't have frosts and ice, then you'll feel that cold far more than I did...

If you're taking zodiac rides off Antarctica, take

Layers

Warm waterproof socks

Warm boots

Down jacket

Warm gloves with a waterproof outer shell

Etc...

I was on the Akademik Ioffe and most boats in that are very casual on board, so no smart clothes need be taken. If you're on a big ship with just cruise by, the just take winter clothes and normal cruise wear.

Hope this helps

The further north you are (Buenos Aires and Valparaiso) the warmer it is as it is summer there. It could be very hot or moderately hot.

As you sail farther south it becomes cooler and can be quite windy and it is the wind chill which makes it seem even colder. You might even have snow in one or two ports.

You do need two types of clothing.

Layering is key.

Water Proof Jacket with hood.

Low cut hiking boots.

Gloves.

Hat.

Fleece and/or sweater/sweatshirt.

Heavy Socks

Sun Glasses

Waterproof Pants

Depending on what excursions you do where it is very chilly possibly hand warmers.

Keith

Warm and sunny in Santiago at the end of January. Layers needed to head south. We were on a HAL cruise to the peninsula. 0 degrees C and a little bit of snow in Antarctica. And very windy. Buenos Aires, mid February was very hot and VERY humid.