recommedations for european cruise with a child under 12months

stevenanto

Good morning everyone,

I have been reading on this board for a quite a while and I am absolutely amazed by the amount of information there is on here. There are a few thing I wanted to ask to everyone, im not even sure if i am posting in the right area.

My wife will be giving birth this august (2016) and she will be off of work for one year and she wanted to go to Europe for a cruise in 2017 whenever the prices are cheapest, when is that by the way? So I did some research and i think (correct me if im wrong) that celebrity cruises are the way to go. I was looking at the eastern Mediterranean, we were more interested in Italy and Greece but dont mind some other regions as well.

Are there additional fees for children under 12 months?

I have read that the best time to book is actually as soon as they release the cruise and you will have the price protection. Is there other theories out there?

Are there any other cruise lines that others may recommend?

Is it best to fly in a few days before we live port?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help

Edited by stevenanto

Hello, stevenanto...and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Although we have never cruised on Celebrity, I know it is a very good cruise line. We have done all of our Med cruises and transatlantics on Princess and I would highly recommend you check them and others out as well. FYI, Princess ships have self-service laundries...Celebrity does not. Something to consider with an infant.

I would agree that the best time to book is as early as possible. You'll be able to book the type of cabin and best location for you. Keep an eye on pricing so you can take advantage of any price drops.

We always fly in a few days to a few weeks prior to embarkation. It'll give you an opportunity to acclimate yourselves to the new time zone and enjoy a few days in your departure city before you embark. Consider staying a few days after disembarkation, especially if it's a different city.

Enjoy your cruise...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Good morning everyone,

I have been reading on this board for a quite a while and I am absolutely amazed by the amount of information there is on here. There are a few thing I wanted to ask to everyone, im not even sure if i am posting in the right area.

My wife will be giving birth this august (2016) and she will be off of work for one year and she wanted to go to Europe for a cruise in 2017 whenever the prices are cheapest, when is that by the way? So I did some research and i think (correct me if im wrong) that celebrity cruises are the way to go. I was looking at the eastern Mediterranean, we were more interested in Italy and Greece but dont mind some other regions as well.

In regard to European cruise fares, you generally will find better deals during the shoulder (off-peak) season. Look to late April through early May and mid-October through November for the best deals. Of course, that also means you may have somewhat cooler weather -- not a bad thing if you plan to mainly sightsee, but less desirable if you are beach people.

Are there additional fees for children under 12 months?

I think most lines charge for a 3rd passenger in a cabin even if it is an infant. Some lines offer better deals than others; a few will occasionally offer deals where the 3rd (and 4th) passengers sail free. Be sure to also look at the minimum allowed age for that particular line.

I have read that the best time to book is actually as soon as they release the cruise and you will have the price protection. Is there other theories out there?

There's no 100% guaranteed way to get the best fares -- if there was, everyone would use it. Some lines start with higher fares and gradually reduce them if the cabins aren't selling. Some offer "fire sales" after final payment is due -- but cabin selection is limited, if that is important to you, and also you may find that higher airfare costs will eat into any savings.

It's true that many lines will price adjust if there are drops. Just make sure that your fare is adjustable -- sometimes when people book through special promotions (such as an included drinks package), you cannot claim the price drop without losing the package perks.

Are there any other cruise lines that others may recommend?

Itinerary is more important than ship in Europe. I'd look at itineraries first, then if you come up with several different ships, I'd ask for specific recommendations on those.

Is it best to fly in a few days before we live port?

If it's at all possible, you should definitely fly in several days in advance. It's the best way to get over your jet lag, ensure you can overcome any snafus, and usually it's the only chance you'll have to see anything of the city from which you depart.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help

See my answers and suggestions above. Have fun with your planning!

Oh wow thanks for all the useful tips! Some of you seem to have lots of experience cruising. Pi have looked at the princess cruises, they are a little pricier than celebrity but now that I just found out the child has to be 12 months I don't think the celebrity is an option, dang.

I was thinking maybe a transatlantic cruise then another in Europe as I will be getting five weeks off. I have definately noticed that April and may are best. We don't neccessarily need the hot hot weather.

Thanks again for your advice

I was thinking maybe a transatlantic cruise then another in Europe as I will be getting five weeks off. I have definately noticed that April and may are best. We don't neccessarily need the hot hot weather.

When considering a spring TA, know that you will be losing an hour six times during your cruise. Also, west to east TAs are port intensive at the end.

With east to west TAs in the fall, they're port intensive at the beginning, but offer many relaxing sea days on the crossing...you'll also gain hours. A fall cruise will also allow you to bring your child who will be more than 12 months old.

Take a look at MSC cruises (https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Homepage.aspx), they do allow children under 12 months but may require a physician's letter saying the child is healthy enough to travel (see their terms & conditions section). They also offer a "kids sail free" deal.

I would look carefully at the ports and lean toward ports that don't require long car, bus, or train rides to get to the main attractions.

When considering a spring TA, know that you will be losing an hour six times during your cruise. Also, west to east TAs are port intensive at the end.

With east to west TAs in the fall, they're port intensive at the beginning, but offer many relaxing sea days on the crossing...you'll also gain hours. A fall cruise will also allow you to bring your child who will be more than 12 months old.

I know the baby will be more than twelve months but it because my work will be giving me five weeks off during the first twelve months so we are mostly looking at the spring right now. i cant believe how some would charge for 12 month old, they barely eat anything and they dont drink (neither do we) lol

i cant believe how some would charge for 12 month old, they barely eat anything and they dont drink (neither do we) lol

Just so you are aware, most drinks are not included in the cruise fare, so it makes little difference if the infant drinks or not. Also, food is a small portion of the total per diem cruise cost.

Ships can only carry a finite number of passengers per voyage. Unless you find a special deal, you will have to pay something for him/her -- for the transportation cost and a place to sleep, if for nothing else. (Not to mention that infants can sometimes cause messes that require extra cleaning in cabins or dining rooms...!)

Just so you are aware, most drinks are not included in the cruise fare, so it makes little difference if the infant drinks or not. Also, food is a small portion of the total per diem cruise cost.

Ships can only carry a finite number of passengers per voyage. Unless you find a special deal, you will have to pay something for him/her -- for the transportation cost and a place to sleep, if for nothing else. (Not to mention that infants can sometimes cause messes that require extra cleaning in cabins or dining rooms...!)

yeah i get all that, it actually good that my wife and i dont drink lol.

I'm answering this as a frequent cruiser and as someone who cared for kids for 35 years. Find a nice beach resort in the Caribbean or Hawaii. You will enjoy it more, so will your wife and most of all so will the baby. A 9-10 mo will really like crawling around in the sand more than the ruins or museums of Europe.

I'm answering this as a frequent cruiser and as someone who cared for kids for 35 years. Find a nice beach resort in the Caribbean or Hawaii. You will enjoy it more, so will your wife and most of all so will the baby. A 9-10 mo will really like crawling around in the sand more than the ruins or museums of Europe.

Another voice of reason emerges!

My brother went on a cruise with babies and had a nanny and they still hated it.

Recommendation?

Leave your child home.

I actually agree with this and I say it from experience. When our son was four months old we took him to the UK. He was an angel baby and it was no trouble doing the transatlantic flight with him. Slept through the whole thing! He was a great little traveler. Now when his sister arrived, that was a horse of a different color. She was a horrible traveler who hated disruptions in her schedule. When we went to Belgium she was 18 months old and we left her and her brother in the care of loving grandparents. I cried all the way to the airport at the thoughts of leaving the little ones behind but it turned out to be for the best. She was happy with Grandma and Grandpa and we got a lovely vacation. I say do the European cruise without your baby. There's plenty of time as your child grows older to take her/him on a cruise with you!

Another thing to note--if you've never been on a cruise before, you'll have no idea about whether or not you're prone to seasickness. I was sick as a dog (much to my shocked surprise) on my first cruise. My husband and the kids? Doesn't bother them at all. I don't know if babies are affected by seasickness like adults but I'd be afraid to take such a young baby as yours would be. I wouldn't risk it. That would be one miserable vacation.

I guess I am a firm believer to only take a child on a vacation far from home when they have an idea of what's going on and can enjoy it. If you have to travel yes a resort on a beach when younger works best I feel. How can one enjoy a cruise when he/she/both have to watch an infant 24 hours a day.

I don't care what anyone does. I just don't want to see a family have a terrible time on a cruise so far away from home. Bringing infants on the cruise like the one the OP mentions is a bad idea and the parents WILL regret it. This is coming from knowing many who have done it. Take the kid when older.

I don't want people to start causing fights because of this topic, like it was mentioned before, people have different viewpoints, and if they regret their trip or decision then it's tough on them.

The way I see it is that no matter where we are with a child, whether it's a road trip, airplane, resort, ship, at home or the park you still have to care for your child. The only thing that I would feel bad is if the child cries on the plane ride, I don't like to disturb others.

Once your child is born and you learn his/her temperament, you will better know whether this is a viable plan. Some kids can sleep anywhere and have no problems adapting. Some children will not sleep unless they are in their usual environment. That doesn't even address food issues. Some kids at 12 months eat everything, some are still working their way into table good. It is easy to think ",I will make sure my child is adaptable, easy going, a good eater", but they are who they are.

Enjoy your new journey of parenting! I am sure whatever you choose to do before you return to work will be fun and memorable for you!

Yes agreed. No fighting here and no one knows their child better than parents. I just don't like people's vacations ruined or at least below expectations. A Euro cruise is very port intensive and many ports are not close to the cities visited.

If you have to concentrate on an infant that is not faring well then the parents can miss out on a lot.

I understand why you want to take the cruise -- because you and your wife will have lots of time off. If you and your wife understand the limitations a baby would bring, then it's only your business.

You mentioned TA, which might be a good idea because you only have one flight during the entire trip. Investigate a Trans Atlantic and then do the cruise immediately following it. It can be done you need to do your research.