Huatulco Suggestions

RSF Cruiser

Has anyone been on the Princess Copalita Archaeological Exploration tour? I searched Huatulco on this forum, and the most recent post was from about a year ago. We'll be on a Panama Canal cruise and have never been to this port. I love ruins, so our thought was to take the ruins tour in the morning and then go to the beach. Are there any private guides you would recommend?

From what I learned on this forum, there's a beach near where the ship docks. Are there any other beaches we should consider? We like to snorkel, so a beach with some rocks near by is preferable.

• 2 months later...

DW and I really enjoyed our day in Huatulco. We exited our ship, walked off the pier, turned left (the beach is right in front of you) and were at the beach in about 5 min. We started looking for beach loungers...which are generally owned by the cafes/restaurants that line the beach. The first few places asked for $20-$40 and we simply laughed and kept walking. When we reached the area we liked. they ask for $30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. I just laughed at the man, told him we live in Puerto Vallarta (this is true about 2 months a year) and would pay nothing for the chairs. But I told him if we gave us the chairs and umbrella for no charge, we would drink and eat during the day. He then laughed and welcomed us to his cafe :).

The beach was nice, food decent, drinks good and the water warm and clean. Since it was a sandy bottom we doubt if snorkeling would have been worthwhile (we are avid snorkelers but did not have our gear). This is actually a popular port with the crew since they can quickly get to a beach to swim and play..during the short time off.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

DW and I really enjoyed our day in Huatulco. We exited our ship, walked off the pier, turned left (the beach is right in front of you) and were at the beach in about 5 min. We started looking for beach loungers...which are generally owned by the cafes/restaurants that line the beach. The first few places asked for $20-$40 and we simply laughed and kept walking. When we reached the area we liked. they ask for $30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. I just laughed at the man, told him we live in Puerto Vallarta (this is true about 2 months a year) and would pay nothing for the chairs. But I told him if we gave us the chairs and umbrella for no charge, we would drink and eat during the day. He then laughed and welcomed us to his cafe :).

The beach was nice, food decent, drinks good and the water warm and clean. Since it was a sandy bottom we doubt if snorkeling would have been worthwhile (we are avid snorkelers but did not have our gear). This is actually a popular port with the crew since they can quickly get to a beach to swim and play..during the short time off.

Hank

Thanks so much for the info. I suspect we'll do the same :D

Thanks, hlitner. You gave me just what I needed to know for the beach. Since there's so little about Huatulco on these boards, I'll report back after my trip in Dec/Jan. It will be nice to go to a port that is not over-run by cruise ships...

You can snorkel if you go to Playa la Entrega, a $5 or so cab ride (or a water taxi ride for more) from the port. You can see the beach in a cove as you approach the port. There are also chairs for rent and restaurants.

You can snorkel if you go to Playa la Entrega, a $5 or so cab ride (or a water taxi ride for more) from the port. You can see the beach in a cove as you approach the port. There are also chairs for rent and restaurants.

Perfect. Looks like we will be going to Playa la Entrega. Thanks so much for the specific information.

Hope you enjoy it. To take a taxi, just walk out past where the shops are and the smaller boats dock to a parking lot. Prices are posted and it was $5 per cab to the beach when we were last there, not sure of the cost on the water taxi. Unfortunately, sometimes ships stir up sediments as they arrive so the visibility may suffer. I've been there 3 or 4 times and the experience has varied. But, I've seen lots of fish every time, including a very large school of yellow tail surgeon fish, puffer fish, sting rays, angel fish, etc. The snorkeling area is roped off so you don't have to worry about boats.

As you are walking out toward the taxis, talk to the small boat operators. We got a great boat ride for a very good price that took us up and down the coast to several beaches and canals. Also went to the blowhole and lighthouse, and the boat operator offered to let us off to snorkel for a set amount of time and would come to get us later.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone been on the Princess Copalita Archaeological Exploration tour? I searched Huatulco on this forum, and the most recent post was from about a year ago. We'll be on a Panama Canal cruise and have never been to this port. I love ruins, so our thought was to take the ruins tour in the morning and then go to the beach. Are there any private guides you would recommend?

From what I learned on this forum, there's a beach near where the ship docks. Are there any other beaches we should consider? We like to snorkel, so a beach with some rocks near by is preferable.

I was at the Copalita site this past March. There is a nice musem on site. There are a few small structures and one larger one. All are roped off and you can't get near them. If you are expecting to see a site like Teotihuacan or Chichen Itza, you will be dissapointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hank

Hi Hank, what would you suggest to offer the restaurant to rent chairs and umbrella if we plan on having just beer and nachos, what would be fair?? Thanks

Cori

Hi Hank, what would you suggest to offer the restaurant to rent chairs and umbrella if we plan on having just beer and nachos, what would be fair?? Thanks

Cori

You put a heavy burden on me :). As one who calls Mexico home for at least 2 months a year, my answer would be offer them nothing. This is my starting point for bargaining. Just make sure to do it with a smile and stress that you will buy your drinks and snacks/food while using their chairs. If they say no, and do not offer a very good counter offer then you just say a very nice "gracias" and tell them you will look around and might be back. And then try the next place.

Before anyone calls me "cheap" or unkind....the truth is quite the contrary. DW and I love Mexico and we take good care of the Mexicans that take care of us :). So we might bargain a place down to no charge for chairs, but will make up for it later with our purchases and some generous tips. We do not mind spending the money.....but prefer to do it on our terms.

As to how successful you will be with bargaining, it does depend on a few factors such as supply and demand, weather, your friendly chatter and smile, etc. In fairness to these beachside cafes, we know they get many cruisers who want to use their chairs, but are afraid to eat or drink anything. If you are one of "those" who is afraid to eat or drink in Mexico, then give them their $20 and do your thing. For DW and I, after 10 years in Mexico, we actually go to that country to eat and drink :). That does not mean you should eat anything, anywhere. It means you need to use some common sense (and instinct). Even DW is not a big fan of street food (from stands without running water).....but she does not hesitate to eat in most cafes/restaurants.

Hank

• 1 month later...

RSF Cruiser -

I was in Huatulco last week for a long weekend. The location is absolutely gorgeous and clean. The cruise ship dock is an area with restaurants and beach front bars are right on the sand. Some shopping exists as well. A harbor with tour boats is also right by the pier to the left. We took a booked a small panga for a 3 hour tour there. It was great as it included fishing, visits to the some of the national park bays, dolphin and turtle watching, and a swim. On Saturadays - at least - a small market is in the square.

I would recommend going in to Crucecita proper. It is a 30 peso fare which these days is about $1.50 or a 20 minute walk on a dedicated path. The town has a small market, a nice square and church. I really like the decorations in the church as it is done in bright colors as is the style of Oaxaca. The ceiling fresco I likes as it is a large scale Virgin de Guadalupe painted in a way that is reminiscent of clouds. Remember, this isn't great art, but I liked it anyways. For lunch try Terra Cota, it is #1 in Trip Advisor right now with good food and service. Even though it is #1, the prices are reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 1 month later...