Beach water safe?

lovemykids2

We will be going on a Carnival cruise in May with stops in Cabo and PV. Someone suggested the beaches in Mexico were not really safe to swim in because they allow sewage to go out into their waters. Does anyone have knowledge or opinions about this?:eek:

In Cabo, there is a great beach towards the east ... haven't heard anything negative about the water there. On the other hand, you don't want to go to any of the western beaches because it is very dangerous to swim there due to the undertow.

As for PV, it's not the beach I'd be worried about. We'll be there in the fall and I don't plan on leaving the ship.

Quality of seawater is absolutely good in Vallarta. During the rainy season , between July and Ocotober it is sometimes less clear due to sand coming from the rivers into the bay.

Indeed at all times be aware it can be dangeous due to high waves or dangerous currents.

Unfortunately recently there have been a few accidents due to that

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/disney-cruise-line-cancels-puerto-vallarta-call.html

This is from a year ago but since your ship is stopping there, things have probably improved. Still, I'd be extra careful and wouldn't head off anywhere on my own.

Everything is fine. It's as safe as any large city. There is more violence against tourists in Jamaica, but ships still go there. Almost all the gang violence is not in the tourist area. A few years ago there was a panic about going to Cabo because of gang violence. It turns out the shooting was over 5 miles inland from the Marina area.

We've walked around the malecon after 10pm and didn't feel unsafe. There were many families with little kids all around. Even went to WalMart after and walked back to the ship at around midnight.

If you're worried about something that happened over a year ago, then don't sail from the L.A area. There have been shootings in Long Beach this past month (over 3 miles from the port and over 10 miles from San Pedro).:rolleyes:

Edited by Rosefloater

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/disney-cruise-line-cancels-puerto-vallarta-call.html

This is from a year ago but since your ship is stopping there, things have probably improved. Still, I'd be extra careful and wouldn't head off anywhere on my own.

If you bring this up, it might be a good idea to check what you are talking about. This is an article that is almost 1 year old. Yes there have been some incidents in the morning on May 1 last year, that was just and ONLY that day. NO persons were injured, be it locals or tourists as warnings were given before. I can tell you many tourists in Vallarta that day didnot even know about it untill they saw it on TV or in the press.

You can check the arrivals of cruiseships on many boards and you will see this winter more ships arrived then the winter before.

I just came back from a 5 months winterstay in Vallarta, as always we had some nice meetings with the many canadians and americans that do that each winter too.

Like us they shop, I drive our car in and outside Puerto Vallarta , I take the local bus sometimes, we go out at night for dinner, drinks at the beach etc for some years now, and NEVER had we any problems.

Puerto Vallarta is as safe as ever. Just do as you would do at home, donot carry lots of money around, leave your jewels at the ship, donot drink too much etc.

I know I am safer there then e.g. in Amsterdam.

Edited by Ine