PV - questions about the Malecon

jjow

We get in to Puerto Vallarta at noon and are doing the 6 pm Rhythms of the Night excursion, so we'll have a few hours to explore. We think we'll take a taxi to the Malecon and enjoy some sunshine and lunch. From looking at pictures, I can see the boardwalk next to the beach, but we were wondering how accessible the beach is from the boardwalk. Is the water swimmable or are the currents too strong? Also, is there anywhere to rent umbrellas or chairs (and if so, anyone know how much they'll run you?)?

We also like some good authentic local food. Any recommendations for places like that on the Malecon? I've read there's a big night life there but I wasn't sure what our options during the day will be.

Thanks for any info you have!

I don't recall seeing a lot of swimmers off the Malecon until you get near the south end by the new pier, and based on what you are looking for, this is where you want to go. Lot's of beach-side restaurant's have chairs and umbrellas on the beach for their customers to use. So find an area you like (look for happy people), sit down and order up a couple of drinks and something to munch on. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back, you don't want to miss ROTN.

We like La Maquina at the beginning of the Malecon (it's next to Burro) and Malecon (across from McDonald's at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is no swimming along the Malecon, but a little more south on Playa Los Muertos. Plenty of restaurants right on the beach there, indeed close to the pier.

Taxi to the Malecon will be about Pesos 100,- to Playa los Muertos probably Pesos 120,- Always make your price with the driver before boarding.

It takes a little longer, but a busride is fun too, for just Pesos 7.50 per person. Take any blue/white bus Centro (not Tunel), the bus will follow the street next to the Malecon and join Malecon shortly after the famous Church. Or get off a few stops later at Plaza Lazaro Cardenas, you will be very close to Playa los Muertos.

Good maps here:http://vallartainfo.com/

Not too far from the cruise terminal there is public access to the beach, in case you just want to have a swim.

The ocean has been pretty wild for a while, swimming was forbidden and too dangerous. At the moment it is quite again, but always check the condition of the waves and currents.

We also like some good authentic local food. Any recommendations for places like that on the Malecon? I've read there's a big night life there but I wasn't sure what our options during the day will be.

Thanks for any info you have!

Not on the Malecon, but for authentic Mexican food where you are likely to be the only non-Mexicans, go to the mercado just past WalMart. When you cross the street to go to WalMart, keep going up the street to the light. The mercado is across the street on the right side. There are about 6 places to eat inside and 2 outside. I have eaten 2x at a place outside only makes Huaraches. They look like oblong tostadas.

We are going to be overnight in PV. We have the first day planned, but were thinking about the beach and a bite to eat for a couple of hours on day #2.

If we grab a taxi at the cruise terminal and tell them to "take us to Playa Los Muertos", we should be good? Should we have a specific restaurant name in mind, or just show up in the area and see what appeals to us?

Thanks. :)

We are going to be overnight in PV. We have the first day planned, but were thinking about the beach and a bite to eat for a couple of hours on day #2.

If we grab a taxi at the cruise terminal and tell them to "take us to Playa Los Muertos", we should be good? Should we have a specific restaurant name in mind, or just show up in the area and see what appeals to us?

Try Cafe de Olla in Old Town (Romanic Zone) it has been a Favorite for years!!! Check it out on Tripadvisor. Very Authentic with good food and Prices. Open for Lunch and Dinner. Lots of Good Restaurants in Old Town!!! Mark

Yes the cabdriver will know. Check the rate before boarding. Right on the beach are a.o. La Palapa and Si Senor, not the cheapest but very good food and service as is Blue Shrimp. Other more populair priced are Cuates y Cuetes, right next to the pier and Langostines.

I am not such a big fan of Cafe de Olla.

Grab a taxi at the gas station on the street. It should be about $8 to the old town area. If you get a cab at the port, it is $6/person.

Below is the rate chart for the taxis at the port. It is current as of beginning of Februay. Zone 1: beginning of Malecon; Zone 2: Cathedral area; Zone 3: Old Town (Romantic Zone); Zone 4: Mismaloya.

PV%20pier%20taxi%20rates_zps5hgr7rsd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Yes the cabdriver will know. Check the rate before boarding. Right on the beach are a.o. La Palapa and Si Senor, not the cheapest but very good food and service as is Blue Shrimp. Other more populair priced are Cuates y Cuetes, right next to the pier and Langostines.

I am not such a big fan of Cafe de Olla.

Ine - thank you for all your great information -

could you please tell me, if we decided to start out our evening at Cuates e Cuates, how long would it take by taxi to then go to somewhere in the old town?

thanks in advance

Ine - thank you for all your great information -

could you please tell me, if we decided to start out our evening at Cuates e Cuates, how long would it take by taxi to then go to somewhere in the old town?

thanks in advance

Cuates y Cuetes isnot only next to the new pier, but also right in old town.

Cabride will be around 15 minutes.

Do you know they have a nice webcam, showing the realtime view from their place? http://www.cuatesycuetes.com/

I highly recommend the food and atmosphere at both Coco Tropical and Daquiri Dick's for either lunch or dinner. They are right on Los Muertos Beach and in the centre of Romantic Zone. Lots of stores and markets nearby.

Wendy