Royal Dishonest Advertising Continues

ee1999

I like Royal, but they have to stop their dishonest advertising. Last weekend they offered 20% off of ultimate and premium drink packages. We are interested in the premium so we checked and instead of 20% off it was actually a little more than a dollar a day more (the price was $61 a day including service charge).

Like many I called Royal and they said it was a glitch, but they would have it fixed within a day. I could book with customer service at full price and when it was fixed I could cancel and rebook at the correct rate. I saw no advantage to that and decided to wait.

Today the rate online changed to $51 and some change and changed the total amount in my cart. The problem was my total went up $2. Turns out the new rate didn't include service charge until it was in your cart raising the daily charge to $61.26. I'm thinking I should by now before they give me 30% off and I can't afford it anymore.

I know many will sound off about what's the big deal, but it boils down to treating the customer with respect. I will still cruise and probably on Royal. I just think with the degradation of all they are doing to C&A, service, and overall quality at some point they need to reinvest and recommit if they want to keep people "Loyal to Royal."

I totally agree and have been calling them since last week. Every time it was a system glitch and I could check back in 24 hours. They guaranteed me there was a 20% off sale and prices would be fixed.

The last time I called they finally told me the price showing was correct and it reflected the on board price which is higher. On all my past cruises the on board price was exactly the same as the online price. A friend of mine sailed last week and she confirmed its still the same on board. I'm not sure what the truth is at this point. I did buy just in case there is a price increase coming.

The way I see it, it's either artificially increased pricing for the sale or they're increasing prices on board sailings without notice. Either way I would rather they just be honest about it.

What is up with these guys....are people to dumb to see that there sales are mostly a scam....Last week they had a no tax sale, I was looking at a cruise just before the sale and once the sale started the price jumped the amount of the taxes....hence no savings at all....as soon as the sale is over the price was dropped to the original price before the sale.....is there no law to prevent this...seems a bit slimy for a BILLION DOLLAR company.:rolleyes:

I remember a time not that long ago that we would be so exited to get onboard to see what new things and perks we had...remember when you used to get a gift on your bed as a diamond member....anyways lately it's hmmm wonder what they have taken away this cruise....

Maybe we cruise too much....but I just don't fell the love anymore....it's a bit disappointing..:confused:

The discounts are even more convoluted for high speed internet. Buy one get one 50% off for surf and stream is $190.61 for 7 days. VOOM surf and stream is 30% off for a total of $189.56 for the same cruise.

It truly is criminal and no cruise line is as bad as Royal when it comes to these shenanigans.

As long as people demand a luxury vacation at the cheapest price possible ALL cruise lines, hotels and resorts will resort to this type of advertising.

Royal has never really been the cheapest price....in fact last year we did not sail even 1 day on Royal because every cruise we looked at was cheaper on Princess....Currently the cheapest prices seem to be with NCL....although I have never traveled with them...yet.

I like Royal, but they have to stop their dishonest advertising. Last weekend they offered 20% off of ultimate and premium drink packages. We are interested in the premium so we checked and instead of 20% off it was actually a little more than a dollar a day more (the price was $61 a day including service charge).

Like many I called Royal and they said it was a glitch, but they would have it fixed within a day. I could book with customer service at full price and when it was fixed I could cancel and rebook at the correct rate. I saw no advantage to that and decided to wait.

Today the rate online changed to $51 and some change and changed the total amount in my cart. The problem was my total went up $2. Turns out the new rate didn't include service charge until it was in your cart raising the daily charge to $61.26. I'm thinking I should by now before they give me 30% off and I can't afford it anymore.

I know many will sound off about what's the big deal, but it boils down to treating the customer with respect. I will still cruise and probably on Royal. I just think with the degradation of all they are doing to C&A, service, and overall quality at some point they need to reinvest and recommit if they want to keep people "Loyal to Royal."

Now that will tell them:rolleyes:

Tell me why they should stop Degradation if People still continue to cruise with them?

Royal has never really been the cheapest price....in fact last year we did not sail even 1 day on Royal because every cruise we looked at was cheaper on Princess....Currently the cheapest prices seem to be with NCL....although I have never traveled with them...yet.

If you had traveled with them you´d know why it´s the cheapest price;)

Only when dealing with dishonesty and rip-offs.

But why do you Keep cruising with them?

While I don´t share your Sentiments towards RCI, I do accept your Feelings towards them. I just dont get why you Keep giving them your business:confused:

Whenever I had such Feelings towards a Business I stopped giving them my Business. No moaning, no whining, just Walking away and be done with it.

It's all MARKETING. I still haven't heard anyone say why it matter whether something is called a "sale" or not.

The "Tax free" sale, the "Going Going Gone" sale, the "BOGOHO" sale... if all three are the same price, why does it matter what it's called?

Advertise drink packages for a cost including tip. Then cut the price 20%, but also cut the tip. When you put the 18% tip back on, it's a wash. Why does it matter that it's a "sale"? Does anyone not just simply look at the total cost and decide if something is worth it or not?

I totally agree and have been calling them since last week. Every time it was a system glitch and I could check back in 24 hours. They guaranteed me there was a 20% off sale and prices would be fixed.

The last time I called they finally told me the price showing was correct and it reflected the on board price which is higher. On all my past cruises the on board price was exactly the same as the online price. A friend of mine sailed last week and she confirmed its still the same on board. I'm not sure what the truth is at this point. I did buy just in case there is a price increase coming.

The way I see it, it's either artificially increased pricing for the sale or they're increasing prices on board sailings without notice. Either way I would rather they just be honest about it.

Same thing happened to me last week. Drink package prices went up so I called and finally got someone to get me a supervisor spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone and STILL no one knew whether it was a glitch or a price change.

She told me to call back, I said no but I'll pay the current price with you now and you can give me an OBC for the difference for both packages.

And she did so now I have OBC for over $100.00 but I worked for it, let me tell ya.:rolleyes:

And to those of you that feel you must put in your 2 cents with snarky comments (I won't name names Biker19), they aren't necessary and add nothing to the conversation for those who have a legitimate gripe and concern about RC jerking us around.

RC reads these forums and we hope they'll get the message that we're on to their shenanigans and we can easily take our money elsewhere.

I sympathize with those complaining, but when someone says, 'I will still cruise with Royal', it defeats the purpose. If it is that bad, the only thing that they really understand is when you don't spend your money with them. You can complain all day long, and if you still book your cruise with them, it means nothing.

And you don't have to necessarily stop cruising altogether: if you don't like the VOOM offers, don't purchase VOOM. If you don't like the drink packages, don't purchase them. If you don't like the overall cruise price, don't buy it. If you don't like how tips are charged, do it your own way. There are still options to make your opinion known. Vote with your wallet.

It's all MARKETING. I still haven't heard anyone say why it matter whether something is called a "sale" or not.

The "Tax free" sale, the "Going Going Gone" sale, the "BOGOHO" sale... if all three are the same price, why does it matter what it's called?

Advertise drink packages for a cost including tip. Then cut the price 20%, but also cut the tip. When you put the 18% tip back on, it's a wash. Why does it matter that it's a "sale"? Does anyone not just simply look at the total cost and decide if something is worth it or not?

I see where you're coming from on the actual cruise fare sales, but the drink and Internet packages have standard set prices, where as fare prices will always vary. So, if a sale is advertised on something like a premium drink package that is normally $49/day but only shows $47/day at 20% off this is when I would say it's not a properly advertised sale. It doesn't really matter if I think $47/day is worth it or not, it's the fact that they took 4% off and called it 20%. In this instance the gratuity added doesn't matter, it's still not a 20% off sale. They have the right to artificially increase package prices at anytime, I think people are just saying its a dishonest practice.

Edited by Mcolema7

RC reads these forums and we hope they'll get the message that we're on to their shenanigans and we can easily take our money elsewhere.

The only message they get is if you Pony up and actually take your Money elsewhere.

They don´t Need any threads on CC to know that you can take your Money elsewhere. They won´t care about it until it actually happens.

I would suggest people write to their Florida Attorney General if something seems deceptive, but she will helpfullly re-route your letter directly back to Royal for them to address. btdt

Your only real option is to simply not make that purchase. If enough people did that, they would have to re-assess their methods.

Edited by marci22

But why do you Keep cruising with them?

While I don´t share your Sentiments towards RCI, I do accept your Feelings towards them. I just dont get why you Keep giving them your business:confused:

Whenever I had such Feelings towards a Business I stopped giving them my Business. No moaning, no whining, just Walking away and be done with it.

I also enjoy much of what Royal offers. Sometimes good businesses will change a practice if enough of their customer base speaks up. I am within 60 days of sailing, would you walk away from 50% of your cruise cost?

I disagree with a lot of what companies do to consumers these days. Luckily, boards like cruise critic give the consumers the ability to let the cruise lines know their opinions. These boards are monitored by many lines. Public discussions here can be as or more effective than me as a single consumer going off the deep end and saying I will never cruise Royal again. When a single consumer doesn't moan, or whine, or whatever other derogatory adjective you'd like to insert just walks away, do you think that changes anything?

I will voice my complaint. If the company changes, great I will do business with them. If they don't, I will weigh wether it is worth me taking my business elsewhere. I believe that is reasonable.

It's all MARKETING. Does anyone not just simply look at the total cost and decide if something is worth it or not?

Of course not, otherwise we wouldn't have endless threads complaining about it.:cool: