Y'all are right about the MATTRESS!

I was in a GS on Serenade and the bed was hard as a rock!!

I asked my steward to please put on an egg crate topper. He put on THREE!

Yay!

So much better!

I can't believe they have Flintstone beds on these ships. :eek:

We were in a GS on Liberty in March, 2015, and that bed was like sleeping on a wooden board with a thin piece of padding. Flinstone bed is about right! It didn't even feel like a mattress. Not exaggerating either. Of course this was pre-dry dock, so maybe they've improved by now, but we couldn't believe how uncomfortable that bed was.

We were in a GS on Liberty in March, 2015, and that bed was like sleeping on a wooden board with a thin piece of padding. Flinstone bed is about right! It didn't even feel like a mattress. Not exaggerating either. Of course this was pre-dry dock, so maybe they've improved by now, but we couldn't believe how uncomfortable that bed was.

Oddly, it sounds like the newer beds are some of the worst.

I'm pretty certain at this point that I will be buying a cheap memory foam topper to bring on the ship. I'm wondering if it's best to just stick a luggage tag on it and check it or if I would be better just carrying it on with me and dropping in the cabin when we get on the ship. I really don't care if I looks silly as long as I sleep good .

That's a good plan. I only paid $15 on ebay for an extra-long twin mattress pad for my daughter's college dorm. It was super-comfy, and my youngest is now using it. $15 well spent.

One hint: DO NOT unroll that thing until you're on the ship. You'll never get it back in the package again.

We were on Liberty in March, our group had four cabins, all had a 2 inch memory foam topper on their beds without asking. Quite comfortable, Royal must of gotten the message from the many complaints.

I must say the older beds were one of the most comfortable beds I had slept on. Not sure why they changed them to begin with or at least not with the same brand.

Having read the hard mattress threads previously, I decided to do something about it.

We will be on Navigator Of The Seas for 51 nights coming up quickly, so I ordered from Walmart a 4" Broyhill memory foam topper to be picked up at the Walmart nearest our hotel in Fort Lauderdale. My plan is to tape a luggage tag to it, but DH said he may carry it on instead. When we leave Navigator at the end of our cruises I will just leave it.

We were on Vision Of The Seas for 38 nights last October, and that was the worst mattress I had ever tried to sleep on. In this case it was totally worn out.

I have fibromyalgia so I don't need anything else to cause more pain. I am hoping this mattress pad will alleviate the problem.

On our last Allure, Oasis, and Liberty, I felt like I was sleeping on a concrete counter top. I woke up in the morning have trouble walking because my back hurt so bad (no I normally do not have any back issues). I'm not sure if they simply order the hardest, most firmest mattress but I think they are horrible. My husband also says he is most uncomfortable. They weren't like this 3-5 years ago. I think I even wrote this on my last 2 surveys'. :o

Glad to hear that Liberty of the Seas got mattress toppers after my 3-13-16 sailing. We had very hard beds for the the first time in 12 cruises. The hotel director said he knew there were some issues with the mattress and they were working on it. They folded an extra comforter under the sheets to make it better.

Ugh! I completely forgot how horribly uncomfortable the mattress was on my last cruise. I'm booked on a B2B this year & 13 night repositioning next year. Not sure I can handle that with my bad back. Anyone been on Adventure recently that can comment on the mattresses?

Please help. I am very concerned with reading through all these posts. Has anyone found ANYTHING that has worked to soften the bed so far? We leave in 3 weeks so need to act soon.

The stateroom attendant put a folded over comforter on top of the mattress pad and that helped.

Just off an eleven day Southern Caribbean cruise on Serenade. Always enjoyed the bed and bedding on RC ships, not this time. I'm the one with the bad back but wife woke up each day with a back ache. Asked Stateroom attendant for an egg crate however she had said she had no more left but put an extra comforter under the sheet. Why would RC get rid of such comfortable beds for ones that are obviously sub par?

• 4 months later...
Any updates on the mattress comfort in the past few months. Someone posted that RCCL was working on this ... say it is true!! Please! :confused:

Our bed was super comfy on Liberty of the Seas in August. We were in a grand suite so I am not sure if the mattresses are different or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates on the mattress comfort in the past few months. Someone posted that RCCL was working on this ... say it is true!! Please! :confused:

Mattress on bed on Anthem was hard as a rock and pillow was as flat as a pancake. Oasis wasn't much better, mattress was a little better, pillow, not good.

Time to pack less clothing so I can bring my own pillow!

What dept would you contact to request a eggshell pad on the bed. Our last 2 RCCL cruises the beds have been horrible.

Don't know if they still have the eggshells, but you can give Special Needs a try: [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

Don't know if they still have the eggshells, but you can give Special Needs a try: [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

I emailed special needs concerning a form topper for my bed, and received a prompt reply that it would be put on my bed for embarkation. I have since received info from another FOS cruiser that foam toppers were no longer available. I've emailed special needs again and am waiting on a reply. However, I'm going with Plan B to ensure I'm comfortable.

I will definitely pack my own pillow just to be on the safe side. I did request an egg crate topper and was told my request was put in. I hope so ... I have not read good things about the beds on RCCL and it scares me a bit.

Just recently off a Princess ship and the bed was ok and the pillows were fantastic!!

I emailed special needs concerning a form topper for my bed, and received a prompt reply that it would be put on my bed for embarkation. I have since received info from another FOS cruiser that foam toppers were no longer available. I've emailed special needs again and am waiting on a reply. However, I'm going with Plan B to ensure I'm comfortable.

We had a hard bed one cruise and mentioned it to the stateroom attedant. He put on two comforters under the sheet, which did help.