Anthem of the Seas - 5-night Bermuda Inaugural - LIVE-ISH Blog!

Hello all! After a recent major life change I decided to celebrate by taking a little "me" trip. And what better way than on a Royal Caribbean cruise?! Well, after hyping myself up for the Anthem in anticipation, I've decided I want to share the experience with whomever out there in CC-land wants to take part. So I will be making my first effort at what I'm calling a live-ish blog! I have no idea how this will go but I know two things: 1) I've got the Voom internet package and 2) I want to help provide more CC content for Anthem! :D As someone who likes scouring the boards for reviews of the ships I'm about to sail, I found pictorial reviews of Anthem to be lacking (JimZim's excellent review notwithstanding ). Please speak up and let me know if you are following, and any pics of the ship or questions I can answer. Here we go!

BACKGROUND:

Considering how far in advance I normally book my cruises (see my signature for proof of that :p ) this was last-minute. I wanted it to have the minimum impact in terms of hassle as well as my vacation time at work. I live in northern Virginia so that meant a northeast departure port was appealing, and something less than 7 days. Lo and behold, Anthem was making her first-ever call to Bermuda on a 5-night sailing out of Cape Liberty at the end of April. DING DING DING!

After taking advantage of a studio balcony guarantee rate back in February I really said "what the heck!" and upgraded to a spa junior suite. As far as I know, we will be the first sailing under the new "Royal Suite Class" so I'm excited to check that out too.

TIMELINE:

-Today is packing and taking the dog to mom's for the week :)

-Tomorrow my friend and I head up to Newark via the Acela Express. Staying at the Renaissance Newark Airport. Not 100% sure how we will get to Cape Liberty on Saturday morning but I'm thinking probably Uber. Our prearranged check in time at the pier is 10:30am, so hopefully we will be among the first onboard.

-Saturday: ANTHEM!!

ImageUploadedByForums1461851179.763257.jpg.dc2e4bdae5f881cce554035180843073.jpg

Edited by CapitalKyle

Thank you guys! Just testing out different ways to upload my pics. Want to have this all figured out before I leave so it's as easy as possible to inundate you with pics of the ship! :rolleyes: Bear with me...

4E5770F7-1909-48BE-AA15-2E89159B573D.png_zpszwananz9.jpeg

Edited by CapitalKyle

We just booked on 4/20/a6 and snagged the last cabin available - Aft balcony Sky loft suite so maybe our paths will cross in Coastal kitchen for breakfast. Got this last minute after being canceled on Empress of the Seas twice so we are very fortunate to be cruising at all. Didn't realize this was the inaugural to Bermuda, so thanks for posting.

Hope to see you onboard!!

Debbie

Thank you guys! Just testing out different ways to upload my pics. Want to have this all figured out before I leave so it's as easy as possible to inundate you with pics of the ship! :rolleyes: Bear with me...

4E5770F7-1909-48BE-AA15-2E89159B573D.png_zpszwananz9.jpeg

Looks good there. Can't wait for the rest!

We just booked on 4/20/a6 and snagged the last cabin available - Aft balcony Sky loft suite so maybe our paths will cross in Coastal kitchen for breakfast. Got this last minute after being canceled on Empress of the Seas twice so we are very fortunate to be cruising at all. Didn't realize this was the inaugural to Bermuda, so thanks for posting.

Hope to see you onboard!!

Debbie

Ooh congrats on snagging the last cabin!! Sorry to hear about Empress, though. Frustrating for sure but I'm happy Royal is dedicated to taking the time they need to make sure the ship is up to par before they put people on it!

If you haven't already, check out our roll call, a couple people are trying to get a cabin crawl going. I'm sure people would love to see a sky loft if you are open to letting people see it!

I didn't realize this was her first trip to Bermuda either, until a week or two after I booked. Will be paying extra close attention when we sail through the newly-widened channel, I think Anthem will be the largest cruise ship ever to call on Bermuda :eek:

We will be doing the same cruise on July 9,2016. Have a great time. Looking forward to your review. We also have a 10:30 am check in time, and anxious to hear exactly what time you get to board the Anthem. Please let us know!

Just keep in mind that the Bayonne Bridge is closed intermittently for construction. (They are raising the height of the entire bridge so taller ships can pass under it). Traffic in the area could be very congested. So make sure you allow yourself plenty of travel time from the hotel to the pier. I would hate for you to be late for such a great boarding time!! I would plan on your transportation picking you up at the hotel no later than 9 am. :)

There has been construction in the area getting off the turnpike = delays. Also we have always crawled our way to luggage drop off when we have morning boarding times. Again, need extra time.

Have a great time. Was on Anthem on the cruise in the storm in February and looking forward to returning for our trip to Bermuda in June.

We will be doing the same cruise on July 9,2016. Have a great time. Looking forward to your review. We also have a 10:30 am check in time, and anxious to hear exactly what time you get to board the Anthem. Please let us know!

Just keep in mind that the Bayonne Bridge is closed intermittently for construction. (They are raising the height of the entire bridge so taller ships can pass under it). Traffic in the area could be very congested. So make sure you allow yourself plenty of travel time from the hotel to the pier. I would hate for you to be late for such a great boarding time!! I would plan on your transportation picking you up at the hotel no later than 9 am. :)

There has been construction in the area getting off the turnpike = delays. Also we have always crawled our way to luggage drop off when we have morning boarding times. Again, need extra time.

Have a great time. Was on Anthem on the cruise in the storm in February and looking forward to returning for our trip to Bermuda in June.

Thanks for the tips, Leslie and dedosr :) Sorry I won't get to provide the inside scoop on the 10:30am time slot now... on the bright side, we've just been given an extra hour to deal with traffic problems on the way there :p

We'll be sailing with you! I'm packing right now.

I got that message, but still plan to get to the port between 10:30-11am. We are driving there from Long Island and would rather get there and wait, otherwise I will be anxious all morning.

See you onboard!

Well, there goes 10:30! Just got the following from Royal. Wonder if this is standard or something caused by an event from the current cruise?

Well, my TA just told me "The coast guard check is totally standard. Probably happens on 1 out of 10 ships I book for people." So at least there's probably nothing wrong with our beautiful ship! I'm knocking on wood as I say this...

We'll be sailing with you! I'm packing right now.

I got that message, but still plan to get to the port between 10:30-11am. We are driving there from Long Island and would rather get there and wait, otherwise I will be anxious all morning.

See you onboard!

Hi Donna!

91BDA034-AD97-4F41-8C31-DD31A53074C6_zps8lntuzjz.jpg