Wifi calling app?

rkkunk

Some of you have posted about an app that you use to call friends and family back home when you have Voom. What was the name of that app? I forgot and then couldn't find it in any of the posts that I checked. Any help is appreciated!

Some of you have posted about an app that you use to call friends and family back home when you have Voom. What was the name of that app? I forgot and then couldn't find it in any of the posts that I checked. Any help is appreciated!

Whatsapp and Google Hangouts are both popular.

If you have an iPhone 5C or later with iOS 9 or later, you already have WiFi calling (if your carrier allows it). AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint have all enabled WiFi calling.

Basic information is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Turn off cellular, turn on WiFi, and enable WiFi calling. The phone will behave just as though it's on a cellular network at home.

Android may have something similar, but this was a pretty big change for iPhone.

Sorry - I'm pretty phone illiterate - does the person on the receiving end have to have an app (and if so, the same app) to receive the calls free of charge?

I don't want to use the app to make a call from the ship or from Jamaica and have it free on my end only to find out the recipient is being charged for receiving an international call. TIA

Sorry - I'm pretty phone illiterate - does the person on the receiving end have to have an app (and if so, the same app) to receive the calls free of charge?

I don't want to use the app to make a call from the ship or from Jamaica and have it free on my end only to find out the recipient is being charged for receiving an international call. TIA

No, only you need the app to make a phone call to a US land line or cellular phone. Depending on the app, it'll appear as your phone number, or another US phone number.

No, only you need the app to make a phone call to a US land line or cellular phone. Depending on the app, it'll appear as your phone number, or another US phone number.

Thank you for your quick reply! I've been enjoying your Liberty review btw! We leave on her Sunday on the same itinerary! "We" = me & DD. It's DH's turn to stay home with the dog. :p I thought he might like an update during the week but we don't need to spend $70 on VOOM (which might not even be VOOM this soon on Liberty).

Edited by YadaYadaJodi

Thank you for your quick reply! I've been enjoying your Liberty review btw! We leave on her Sunday on the same itinerary! "We" = me & DD. It's DH's turn to stay home with the dog. :p I thought he might like an update during the week but we don't need to spend $70 on VOOM (which might not even be VOOM this soon on Liberty).

You are quite welcome! The review is moving a bit slowly, life keeps getting in the way. We chose to not get Internet on Liberty as it is quite slow in its current configuration. We called the kids and did Facebook updates on the three port days (our phones automatically roam in Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Mexico). I did use my phone 24/7 for photos, which was nice having the embedded GPS coordinates embedded in each photo - even on the sea photos!

Have a great cruise next week!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Markeb, our phones are iPhone 6 and we have AT&T. So once we turn off cellular and enable wifi calling, we can call each other on the ship and make and receive calls from home without any additional fees from anyone?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Markeb, our phones are iPhone 6 and we have AT&T. So once we turn off cellular and enable wifi calling, we can call each other on the ship and make and receive calls from home without any additional fees from anyone?

I have Verizon, but I believe that's the same. The calling over WiFi essentially makes your phone a VOIP device. Doublecheck with AT&T, but there shouldn't be a charge beyond the internet, AND it will ring your phone number and you'll answer it in the phone app. You can test it on WiFi at home to be sure it works.

Xfinity has had an app for awhile that did the same thing. It emulated your home Xfinity phone number. I used that a couple of years ago in Manilla to call the US.

Isnt there 2 tiers of Voom? Voom Basic and Voom + Stream?

If so do you need Voom + Stream for Wifi Calling to work?

We don't know for sure yet, because there have been no reports of the performance of the tiered services yet. However, unless the ship actively blocks it, the lower tier should have enough bandwidth for voice.

On my iPhone, it I simply put it on airplane mode with wifi on and wifi calling enabled, will I be able to make and take calls??? What about Facebook Messenger calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On my iPhone, it I simply put it on airplane mode with wifi on and wifi calling enabled, will I be able to make and take calls??? What about Facebook Messenger calls?

Yes, if your phone and carrier support WiFi calling, then you should have full service in airplane mode with a WiFi connection to the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You should be able to do both. Again, try it on your home router; if it works, it'll work on the ship.

T-Mobile was promoting this for close to a year for people outside of urban areas before they finally expanded their LTE network. Apple has simply made it easier.