cinque terre...

eyeu

Visiting Cingue Terre later this month. Seems like the Oceania excursions are a bit lacking. Only a 4 hour tour of this very beautiful area. How is that tour?

Would you suggest a private tour?

thanks..

rick

I don't know where your ship will be docked at or how long you will have at the port location but 4 hours does not seem like enough time. We just returned from a cruise that docked in La Spezia, which was super easy to get to the train station and get a whole day pass for E32 for both husband and I. We did hike the trail from Monterosso to Vernazza, which in itself took 1.5 - 2 hours and I would only recommend for the able bodied and adventurous. That said, I would give yourself at least 6 hours to spend in that area, more if possible. When you train between the little towns you have to check the schedule to see when the train comes and give yourself time to browse/stroll in each town and perhaps enjoy lunch while there.

When you wrote "later this month" I'm thinking you mean October. I actually looked at the shore excursions Oceania offers for Cinque Terre. It is difficult to imagine seeing much in only 4 hours since there are 5 villages. But as we all cruise we realize it is diffcult to really experience the culture and beautty of the ports we visit in the allotted time.

We'll be in Cinque Terre near the end of October staying at a BnB in Vernazza for 5 days. We're taking the train from Civi to LaSpezia after a cruise. We plan to walk between some of the villages, take the train between other villages, and also use the ferry to see the coastline if it is still operating that late in the season.

Will you be able to see a lot in 4 hours...proababky not. BUT soak up everything that you can of this beautiful area. Safe travels! ~~Judy

If you are in La Spezia with the Riviera on Oct 31, it looks like you will be in port from 8am to 9:00 pm..which is plenty of time to take the train. Riviera is also the only ship in port, it's the end of the season so it won't be crowded.

Personally, if I chose the included excursions on O life, I would save one for a more difficult port. As everyone has mentioned, it is very easy to do one your own and you are not under enormous time constraints. And, a guided tour really doesn't get you anything...the whole area is just about ambiance.

To take the train take the port shuttle to the terminal. From the terminal exit go to the taxi's and get one to the train station. From the La Spezia train station it's a very short train ride to the first village.

Edited by buggins0402

I guess I am confused as to why O offers like 13 tours from that port but only has one to Cinque Terre..one of the most beautiful places by most travelers!

Will check out they DIY route with the train...thanks all..

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Rick

I guess I am confused as to why O offers like 13 tours from that port but only has one to Cinque Terre..one of the most beautiful places by most travelers!

Will check out they DIY route with the train...thanks all..

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Rick

Well, my guess, of those that choose to use La Spezia as an included excursion port, most will opt for Cinque Terre. We ran into them in Vernazza. The O included tours are usually half day, unless they are transportation type tours (such as a transportation only/on your own to Florence). Vernazza is the crown jewel for most (not us)....so that's where they go with the allotted time.

On our cruise, some did it as an included and then went back to another town or two on the train.

Here's a link to a website that I found very helpful if you do decide to DIY

https://www.incinqueterre.com/en/cinque-terre-in-one-day

Edited by buggins0402

Since we have a number of included excursions, will take the Cinque Terre tour and then spend of the rest of the time on our own...

I cannot find the train schedule for the towns of Cinque Terre...appreciate any help for finding the schedules...thanks

Rick

Done it twice. First time came in on delayed train arriving Vernazza 1AM. Innkeeper was at station to meet me,very surprised. Second time for several nights prior to cruise, it had rained all prior month and all trails closed.But took train to all the towns. Love Cinque Terre. Take ship excursion. Local trains very undependable and often full.

Edited by zoncom

Since we have a number of included excursions, will take the Cinque Terre tour and then spend of the rest of the time on our own...

I cannot find the train schedule for the towns of Cinque Terre...appreciate any help for finding the schedules...thanks

Rick

Looking at the late October schedule they run about 20 minutes apart (some only 15 minutes...a few 35 minutes). Riomaggiore is only a 7 minute train ride. Manarolo is only a few minutes past that.

Perhaps on your excursion you'll meet a like minded couple who also wants to go back for more. You could then share a taxi back to the train station from the port. Or perhaps, tell the tour guide you'll take the train back on your own and visit another town. If you do the latter, make sure the trains aren't striking that day, because the ferry will be very iffy that time of year (if it's even scheduled). Note: train strikes are usually well advertised well in advance, so your tour provider should also be aware and let you know of any problems.

Perhaps O is just reflecting that many passengers will simply handle Cinque Terre on their own. It is quite easy (if ported in La Spezia) and one can simply use the train, ferries, and hiking trails (if that is your wish) to visit several of the 5 villages. Personally, we do not recommend trying to do all 5 villages in a single day...but it can be done.

Hank

Cinque Terre is easily self done by train from La Spezia Centrale station .

With the CT you buy a Daily CT Pass at CT Tourist Office on main platform at La Spezia station. That gives you unlimited train travel for the day between La Spezia, the 5 villages of the CT . Also admission to walking paths of CT, and use of CT shuttle bus between Corniglia station and Corniglia high above avoiding 350 stairs ! From La Spezia by train it is 10 minutes to the nearest village in Riomaggiore and 25 to the furthest in Monterosso .

Trains run at a minimum 30 minute frequency, but not all trains stop at all CT stations.

From La Spezia the order of villages is Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso el Mare .

If pressed for time skip Monterosso and/or Corniglia .

All villages except Corniglia are also serviced by ferry departing from Portovenere . From La Spezia take Bus P from Stop P in Via Garabaldi near Corso Cavour at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour to reach Portovenere (30 minute trip). Bus tickets from Tobacco kiosk at La Spezia station .

Ferry times here : www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/en

With the villages :

Riomaggiore has two halves . The waterfront half is accessed by walking through a pedestrian tunnel parallel to the rail line on the inland side back towards La Spezia. At the end of the tunnel go down the steps under the railway to reach the waterfront . Corniglia is high up on a hill. Either climb 350 zig zag stairs at the Vernazza end of the station or take the shuttle bus . Monterosso has two halves linked by a shared use pedestrian / road tunnel . Old Monterosso is the more interesting . Ferries arrive in old Monterosso, the train station and a spectacular swimming beach are in New Monterosso .

l