Decline Complimentary cabin upgrade

lita24

I had MC category forward on Regal which I choose on my own, I just got a Complimentary cabin upgrade and moved to MB category right below the Sky view bar, it has an overhang from the bottom of the bar. I called my TA and requested to be moved back to my original cabin, but was told that this request will be sent to Princess and it will take 48 hours to see if my room is still available. How to have a deal with this? If I selected a cabin and paid for this and then I am moved to a higher category, but something that I did not select or do not like?

Edited by lita24

You should've had your TA mark your booking as "will not accept a complimentary upgrade". There are 3 choices:

will accept any upgrade

will accept an upgrade to the next category type (i.e. - balcony to mini suite - called a Meta upgrade)

will not accept any upgrade

When we have particularly chosen certain cabins, we are also sure to indicate that we do not want any upgrade of any sort. In 25 cruises, have never had a problem.

I had MC category forward on Regal which I choose on my own, I just got a Complimentary cabin upgrade and moved to MB category right below the Sky view bar, it has an overhang from the bottom of the bar. I called my TA and requested to be moved back to my original cabin, but was told that this request will be sent to Princess and it will take 48 hours to see if my room is still available. How to have a deal with this? If I selected a cabin and paid for this and then I am moved to a higher category, but something that I did not select or do not like?

I've read that it does sometimes take time for them to sort this out. Once it's taken care of and in the future, you need to have them mark your booking "no upgrade". You can try to call Princess directly and see if they will speak with you on the subject. Often, if you have a TA, they will direct you to the TA. Sometimes, if it's simple, they will take the info and handle it. Others may have more direct information on handing this. I always make sure that my booking is marked "no upgrade" or that I'll take a meta upgrade to the next category (like mini to full suite).

Thank you everybody. I did not mark my booking with "no upgrade", they upgraded me to a next category within same room type mini suite, but not to the next cabin type

Thank you everybody. I did not mark my booking with "no upgrade", they upgraded me to a next category within same room type mini suite, but not to the next cabin type

In case your TA didn't explain this, you can ask to be moved to another available cabin in your upgraded category if one is open that you like better.

If you cannot move to your previous cabin, look on line for a better

cabin in the new category, and ask to be moved there.

Princess won't speak to you directly about this if you booked with a TA, and the department that handles these is only in Mon through Fri, so you're probably going to have to wait to next week for this to be resolved.

I agree the TA needs to address this.

I learned from Princess that they sent an offer for an upgrade to my TA to contact me, my TA never contacted me with the offer and after 72 hours with no response from my TA, Princess upgraded me moving out of my cabin. So, my TA failed to provide me with the service and as the result I lost my original cabin that I selected and paid for. Now I am trying to resolve this with TA and Princess, but this is TA fault and not Princess. Going forward I cannot trust this TA and never ever have a business with them again.

I learned from Princess that they sent an offer for an upgrade to my TA to contact me, my TA never contacted me with the offer and after 72 hours with no response from my TA, Princess upgraded me moving out of my cabin. So, my TA failed to provide me with the service and as the result I lost my original cabin that I selected and paid for. Now I am trying to resolve this with TA and Princess, but this is TA fault and not Princess. Going forward I cannot trust this TA and never ever have a business with them again.

Princess might be able to move the new occupant(s) of your original cabin to the cabin you were upgraded to, if the other party is willing. I hope it works out okay for you.

This sort of thing is one of the reasons I now book directly, after many years of using a TA who no longer discounts. I haven't looked too hard to replace her, as I am enjoying the peace of mind that comes with booking directly, and not worrying that the TA overlooked or forgot to mention something.

More updates on this - my TA is saying because I did not select "no upgrades" option in my reservation, they do not call to ask customers if they want the upgrade once TA receive the upgrade from Princess. I am not buying this.

More updates on this - my TA is saying because I did not select "no upgrades" option in my reservation, they do not call to ask customers if they want the upgrade once TA receive the upgrade from Princess. I am not buying this.

It is true that if you do not select "no upgrades" that they will not call you if you are using a TA.

However, your TA should have called you once notified by Princess.

If you were booked directly with Princess, you would have received the E-mail notice directly and may have had a chance to reverse the upgrade.

When you booked the cruise, your TA should have asked you if you would accept an upgrade. If your TA did not ask this, you need a new TA.

TA is saying because I booked online using their web rate I do not have personal cruise consultant, they do not call once get notified by Princess. I do not understand the difference if I called TA to book over the phone or online, should not be any difference.

TA is saying because I booked online using their web rate I do not have personal cruise consultant, they do not call once get notified by Princess. I do not understand the difference if I called TA to book over the phone or online, should not be any difference.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for. These online companies don't do anyone any favors. Bare bones service. :(

You booked with an online TA and effectively handled your own booking without personal advice or guidance. You are now expecting the TA to unravel your own preventable problem because they're supposed to babysit your actions?

I bet you saved a few bucks in the beginning with that online TA offer but now you are paying the price. Not such a sweet deal, is it?

When your booking is with a TA, then the TA is paid by Princess (via commission) to handle all the details about your booking. Thus, your TA should (a) have given you the option of "will not accept upgrade" when you booked and (b) notified you about any upgrade you were given.

Not all TAs are the best, and if your TA let you down by not telling you the upgrade options when you booked and not letting you know in a timely manner that you received an upgrade, then your TA is not one of the best.

Since Princess is paying your TA to handle the details, they should also not have to staff up to work with those who use TAs.

Ok let me get this straight....

I just booked my 1st princess cruise.

Cruise consultant asked me if I wanted upgrade.

I told her no automatic upgrade but if one is available to

Contact me and I will decide.

She said ok they send emails and if I don't respond

I think 72 hrs I don't get the upgrade.

Did I understand this correctly?

Thanks

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

You have learned a good lesson here, unfortunately. This is why I still use a real TA and do not book online.

At this point, I would try work with the TA and find a compromise of some sort. Is there another cabin available in the same category that is more desirable? If so, ask the agent if they can move you to the other cabin.

Ok let me get this straight....

I just booked my 1st princess cruise.

Cruise consultant asked me if I wanted upgrade.

I told her no automatic upgrade but if one is available to

Contact me and I will decide.

She said ok they send emails and if I don't respond

I think 72 hrs I don't get the upgrade.

Did I understand this correctly?

Thanks

Kerri

They didn't describe it very well. If your booking is open to upgrades, Princess will never ask first if it's okay to move you. They'll move you, and send you a notification that it happened. The notification should tell you that if you want to decline the upgrade, you can call Princess within 48 hours and they will "attempt" to get your cabin back. It's not guaranteed, but if you call within the 2 days they can usually make it happen.