Crown Drydock - 2015

jimd909

My husband spent several years on a Navy aircraft carrier. Though it wasn't a "luxury" cruiser, chipping paint was a constant maintenance thing. I've been on many cruise liners and there was always constant maintenance going on. Railings being varnished, paint being chipped and repainted. Plenty of signs around stating "wet paint or wet varnish." That didn't bother us, it showed us that they were maintaining the ship. Never saw it on the Crown. Maybe because they were going into dry dock and didn't want to bother with it because of the embarkation from hell, or the premaintenance was being done such as sanded railings, etc.

Don't really care what you think I think of the Crown, just stating our experience. We just think Princess failed on this cruise. I hope the ship gets into tip top shape for all you future cruisers. Enjoy the hotdog meatloaf. :eek:

I was on the Crown in December and she looked great to me! Not tired at all. Of course, I don't look for flaws...

I don't particularly look for flaws but I feel its due for a refurbishment, I guess Princess thinks so too...hence her trip to the dry dock.

Maybe because they were going into dry dock and didn't want to bother with it because of the embarkation from hell

Yes, I'm sure they decided what maintenance needed to be done,

based on how smootly embarcation went.

just got off the Crown today.

Workers have been doing work below the public decks for a few weeks now doing mechanical stuff.

Last night in Victoria as i wandered around up on the Sun deck I noticed the indoor outdoor carpet on one side was really cushiony like it was new, the other side was still old. I can't confirm if this was done this past week or not as I didn't spend too much time up there.

But what shocked me was when I turned to the MUTS screen and noticed all the bulbs out, it was just a shell with the spaces for the bulbs. They were removed some time during the day. Looked cool, just wish I would of had my camera with me. It had been looking bad with many black spots. I was informed that the MUTS on this ship is now 9 years old and they don't make the replacement parts for it anymore and it was always an issue when something went on it trying to make a fix work on it.

So MUTS is being replaced.

The Horizon Court is getting streamlined like many of the other ships have it with straighter lines for the table sections and a station set up outside the main area that serves desserts at night, and pastry toast in the morning.

The coffee bar in the International cafe is changing too. It will be more focussed now on coffee. Adding another espresso machine with more defined areas for service. There will be more flow from the food area in the IC to the coffee area. The IC bar will no longer have a full bar with alcohol service.

Instead Vines bar will be expanded and will have full service for all bar drinks.

So no more going to vines and being directed to IC bar for a mixed drink.

The Crew's Mess will be renovated.

And the usual stuff, carpets, upholstery, cleaning, re tiling etc.

Crew have been assigned duties during dry dock. Some of the crew I spoke with were doing things like fire watch, key runner, serving the crew/workers in dining rooms as HC is closed, moving furniture, stewards are still doing cabin cleaning and cleaning.

Most crew will still have full shifts but not as long as a normal cruise. They have told me that many are getting a full 48 hours off during the dry dock.

However they will not be allowed to leave the city boundaries due to their work permits makes them limited to where they can go. They are not allowed to travel to Vancouver.

The ship is drydocked in Esquimalt just outside Victoria. They will have a free shuttle for the crew to head into the city and back.

One big issues is although they are still paid they make most of their money from tips and they will not be collecting any during these two weeks. And a few said they know they will be spending more money off the ship too so they are budgeting.

We thought the ship looked pretty good too, sure there are areas that needed some TLC but nothing bad and certainly as good and most definately better than our four star hotel we stayed at the night prior to the cruise.

We found the cabin to be one of the areas that was needing some work. Bedding/tb/tiles in bathroom/mirror/cupboard/drawers/wall showing signs of wear and tear.

I hope Princess shows pictures of the ship.

I know they left Vancouver as soon as we were all off and had to make it to Victoria and drydock before sundown.

Hope this helps.

Vickie

Edited by vickie_bernie

Vickie,

Thanks for the updates. Glad they are replacing the MUTS screen as it was in poor shape. MUTS was introduced on the Caribbean. Wonder what's the shape her MUTS screen! The revised HC is a good change as we have had it on the Sapphire and the Grand. The best news is the modifications to the IC. I know that the IC was introduced on the Crown but it was so awkward getting coffee from the bar on the Crown and Emerald. Haven't been on the Ruby but it would have the same issue. The IC layout with dedicated coffee area next to the food is much better on the retrofitted Grand class ships such as the Grand, Golden, Star, Caribbean and Sapphire. The Layout of Vines on the Golden, Star and Caribbean is still the best in the fleet IMHO.

Edited by IECalCruiser

I know that the IC was introduced on the Crown but it was so awkward getting coffee from the bar on the Crown and Emerald.

The Emerald now has a separate section of the IC dedicated to the coffee/tea/hot chocolate beverage ordering.

The bar with sodas and alcoholic beverages is another counter near the IC.

also they are removing the mini golf and putting down flat indoor outdoor and making more a multi purpose outdoor space that can be used for a few things including bocce ball.

The old system on the Crown is similar to the Emerald. With the new system it will be very different than the current Emerald. If you want a liquor drink after the drydock you will have to go to the bar in Vines.

Similar set up as Royal and Regal where Vines' bar is more prominent and serves it all.

The Emerald now has a separate section of the IC dedicated to the coffee/tea/hot chocolate beverage ordering.

The bar with sodas and alcoholic beverages is another counter near the IC.

That must be somewhat new as we were on the Emerald two years ago. They weren't doing that on the Crown two months ago.

also they are removing the mini golf and putting down flat indoor outdoor and making more a multi purpose outdoor space that can be used for a few things including bocce ball.

:eek: OMG no more putt-putt . Might have to cancel our reservation.....just kidding :rolleyes:

:eek: OMG no more putt-putt . Might have to cancel our reservation.....just kidding :rolleyes:

As on the Emerald:

Bocce area

890416%20083%2004.16.15%20Princess%20Links%20bocce%20deck%2019%20DSC06719_zpsit4xraad.jpg

Croquet area

890416%20084%2004.16.15%20Princess%20Links%20croquet%20deck%2019%20DSC06720_zpsqgcugw9h.jpg

Golf area (about four holes on a flat surface)

890416%20086%2004.16.15%20Princess%20Links%20golf%20deck%2019%20DSC06722_zpsgiymbmls.jpg

I don't know...Bocce Balls smashing on the deck above Skywalkers fills in quite well I think. :rolleyes:

Can't be any worse than the basketball court on Sapphire Princess... :p:)

Can't be any worse than the basketball court on Sapphire Princess... :p:)

We heard that on our Sapphire cruise too. :(

Try carrying on a conversation at the PES lounge when balls are smashing down overhead for 2 hours. It was ridiculous. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

just got off the Crown today.

Workers have been doing work below the public decks for a few weeks now doing mechanical stuff.

Last night in Victoria as i wandered around up on the Sun deck I noticed the indoor outdoor carpet on one side was really cushiony like it was new, the other side was still old. I can't confirm if this was done this past week or not as I didn't spend too much time up there.

But what shocked me was when I turned to the MUTS screen and noticed all the bulbs out, it was just a shell with the spaces for the bulbs. They were removed some time during the day. Looked cool, just wish I would of had my camera with me. It had been looking bad with many black spots. I was informed that the MUTS on this ship is now 9 years old and they don't make the replacement parts for it anymore and it was always an issue when something went on it trying to make a fix work on it.

So MUTS is being replaced.

The Horizon Court is getting streamlined like many of the other ships have it with straighter lines for the table sections and a station set up outside the main area that serves desserts at night, and pastry toast in the morning.

The coffee bar in the International cafe is changing too. It will be more focussed now on coffee. Adding another espresso machine with more defined areas for service. There will be more flow from the food area in the IC to the coffee area. The IC bar will no longer have a full bar with alcohol service.

Instead Vines bar will be expanded and will have full service for all bar drinks.

So no more going to vines and being directed to IC bar for a mixed drink.

The Crew's Mess will be renovated.

And the usual stuff, carpets, upholstery, cleaning, re tiling etc.

Crew have been assigned duties during dry dock. Some of the crew I spoke with were doing things like fire watch, key runner, serving the crew/workers in dining rooms as HC is closed, moving furniture, stewards are still doing cabin cleaning and cleaning.

Most crew will still have full shifts but not as long as a normal cruise. They have told me that many are getting a full 48 hours off during the dry dock.

However they will not be allowed to leave the city boundaries due to their work permits makes them limited to where they can go. They are not allowed to travel to Vancouver.

The ship is drydocked in Esquimalt just outside Victoria. They will have a free shuttle for the crew to head into the city and back.

One big issues is although they are still paid they make most of their money from tips and they will not be collecting any during these two weeks. And a few said they know they will be spending more money off the ship too so they are budgeting.

We thought the ship looked pretty good too, sure there are areas that needed some TLC but nothing bad and certainly as good and most definately better than our four star hotel we stayed at the night prior to the cruise.

We found the cabin to be one of the areas that was needing some work. Bedding/tb/tiles in bathroom/mirror/cupboard/drawers/wall showing signs of wear and tear.

I hope Princess shows pictures of the ship.

I know they left Vancouver as soon as we were all off and had to make it to Victoria and drydock before sundown.

Hope this helps.

Vickie

Well it sounds like they already knew way in advance what needs replacing and TLC. I was feeling as though I wouldn't sail on her again due to our experience, and the areas you stated for renovation will enhance the cruising experience on her. I just booked the Island Princess today for Panama for December. :p

Well it sounds like they already knew way in advance what needs replacing and TLC. I was feeling as though I wouldn't sail on her again due to our experience, and the areas you stated for renovation will enhance the cruising experience on her. I just booked the Island Princess today for Panama for December. :p

we are sailing the Island in october for a month, I am looking forward to seeing the renos there

the movies under the stars screen will be completely replaced.

the system will be ungraded, same system as the royal and

regal have. though no movies on demand like the diamond,

contracted workers were getting on the ship as we were getting

off. they will be stayed in cabins on plaza deck. hopefully they

will replaced the old carpet that doesn't match. it looked like some

was like the diamond and sapphire that went through drydock last

year and this spring. most of the work will be required work, though.

really felt sorry for the crew, because of the pay issue, no tips, which

is a large part of there pay for two weeks.

Also off Crown Princess in Vancouver on 5/2. As said, I did not notice any huge areas where repair was needed. The carpet in my cabin needed to be replaced as it was stained but otherwise the cabin was fine. I didn't find the quality of the ship itself any different than any other Princess vessel that I've been on recently.

I'm not a fan of MUTS so I wouldn't care if they took the whole thing down.

I had no issues with embarkation, so I'm not sure what that was about. I arrived at the pier in San Pedro at about 13:00 and was on board shortly after.

I flew out of Vancouver at about 14:00 on May 2 and Crown Princess was underway to Victoria at that time.