Queensferry, Scotland

bigeck

As Royal Princess will soon be in Uk. I thought I would post a few pics of Queensferry.

We go over almost every a ship in in town. Good to see Royal this year.

This is the Forth Rail Bridge where it will dock for tender

16642655773_6d091b0993_z.jpg

This is the way out. The Hawes will face you. Get back early for a quick beer or 2. If you want to go into Edinburgh by train, turn left as you get out and at the side of the hotel there is stairs leading to the station. It is signposted.

17261101622_4fbb240fc7_z.jpg

And the view approaching the bridge.

8922003243_f8daf6fba1_z.jpg

Caribbean Princess from last year

8922610128_b358dc8f73_z.jpg

Safe travels and I hope you all enjoy your visit to Scotland

Edited by bigeck

Thanks for posting the picture. Was on the original Royal Princess and she could sail under the bridge. Sailing out was a treat as there was some totting of horns between the ship and a train on the bridge. Brings back wonder memories of a fantastic cruise around the British Iles. :)

Spectacular pictures--hoping we're that lucky with our weather when we're there in July. Love Edinburgh and look forward for touring with my granddaughter. It will be my first time to visit from a cruise ship and tender under the beautiful Forth Bridge. After reading the various options to get into Edinburgh, we're going to try the train as it seems to offer the most flexibility in timing/location to get into the Center City. If those of you with experience have other suggestions that would be better, we'd love to hear from you. We have advance tickets purchased for Edinburgh Castle and want to be there when it opens at 9:30. So, is the train the best option or should we take the shuttle to Charlotte Square and pick up the HOHO to get to the Castle?

Very interesting and helpful photos as we will be there this summer. I am curious if weather is ever an issue for tendering?

Only once has a ship failed to tender and that was due to fog. That was a Msc ship. Just hope it's sunny and not too windy as there is sometimes a chill with it.

Spectacular pictures--hoping we're that lucky with our weather when we're there in July. Love Edinburgh and look forward for touring with my granddaughter. It will be my first time to visit from a cruise ship and tender under the beautiful Forth Bridge. After reading the various options to get into Edinburgh, we're going to try the train as it seems to offer the most flexibility in timing/location to get into the Center City. If those of you with experience have other suggestions that would be better, we'd love to hear from you. We have advance tickets purchased for Edinburgh Castle and want to be there when it opens at 9:30. So, is the train the best option or should we take the shuttle to Charlotte Square and pick up the HOHO to get to the Castle?

I think you have it pretty well sorted. The steps are a bit of a climb but nothing too bad. Certainly a lot easier coming back after a tiring day in the city

Only once has a ship failed to tender and that was due to fog. That was a Msc ship. Just hope it's sunny and not too windy as there is sometimes a chill with it.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.:)

Last tender every visit.

When the line clears and they start packing up time to down the pint and walk down the pier.

Some good deals on the Royal for those looking for a late trip round Britain.

We will be sitting at the Hawes. The pub along the road called The Rail Bridge is also good. It's getting busier here with ships and there is plans for a new terminal at Granton nearer the town. Have to wait and see how that goes

Taking the train worked out very well for us. I was a bit apprehensive about the stairs but took it slowly and it was fine. Be aware that the walk from the station to the castle is also uphill - a flight of steps upon leaving the station and then up the Royal Mile. The station is convenient and the trains are frequent in both directons. As as another poster noted, the walk back to the ship is all downhill!

Very interesting and helpful photos as we will be there this summer. I am curious if weather is ever an issue for tendering?

We were there on the Caribbean Princess in 2012 and were not able to tender. Missed the port completely. I don't remember if it was wind or fog or something else that prevented us from tendering.

Re your query on transport into Edinburgh city centre, we took this cruise on the Caribbean Princess in August 2013 and a local coach operator was running a mix of minibus and coach shuttle service to Charlotte Square for about, if I remember, £10.00 return. Very popular with us and other passengers and operating yards from the dock!

Kind regards.

Re your query on transport into Edinburgh city centre, we took this cruise on the Caribbean Princess in August 2013 and a local coach operator was running a mix of minibus and coach shuttle service to Charlotte Square for about, if I remember, £10.00 return. Very popular with us and other passengers and operating yards from the dock!

Kind regards.

Thanks, this is just the information I need. Princess offers a shuttle to Edinburgh, but it leaves at a set time. We like the flexibility to leave when we're ready as time permits. We'll be looking for the local shuttle service.

Bigeck, thank YOU for posting the pics where we'll tender for Edinburgh ~ Wonderful to see and get the info....... ka7370

Thanks. Feel free to ask anything. If we don't know, we will find out for you

We went into Queensberry also, on a different cruise line. I was a bit annoyed to learn that's where we were assigned, but it turned out to be a nice place. Ended up getting a ride but saw the stairs and the shuttle and the cabs.