Coral, docked in LA

cinnamon

Hello and Thank you for the information.

Hope they are able to get rid of the "germs" where ever they may be hiding and that the passengers who will board today are healthy and not bringing illness with them on board Coral Princess.

I also hope you were not afflicted by the noro virus.

We were fine in that area but both caught a nasty 'Coral cough' virus. John missed a lot in the last few days, not even well enough to go ashore in Cabo.

The first people were due off at 7.50. They were cleared from 8.10. Our time was 8.10 and we were off at 8.35. We then stood in line for Non-US Immigration for 55 minutes. I dread to think how long the wait was for those due off later.

At our resort in Carlsbad now. :)

I hope those of you boarding today have a great cruise.

Edited by cinnamon

That nasty "Coral cough" is influenza B - highly contagious and very dangerous if it was to be contracted by somebody frail or elderly. My husband, who is otherwise fit and well, was coughed on by somebody who had it, started feeling like he had a bad cold, felt worse and was then diagnosed with it and as it is a notifiable communicable disease, confined to cabin for a number of days. Both of us are on high level ( and expensive ) anti-viral medication just so we were able to be declared symptom free and therefore able to clear quarantine when disembarking.

The thing is, so many people were coughing and sneezing every time there were groups of people gathered together, it's impossible to know how many acTually had the flu as opposed to a cold. The doctor estimated high numbers but because people don't go to the medical centre, they just keep on passing it on. So if you have just got off the Coral and have a "cold" get your doctor to test for flu virus as you may be at risk and/ or spreading it around. It's just as serious as Noro (more so for older people.)

It took about 4 hours for us to get off the Coral and clear of customs etc. It has us saying that we will not cruise through LA if it is disembarkation port none of the other US ports seem to have the problems that LA does.

It took about 4 hours for us to get off the Coral and clear of customs etc. It has us saying that we will not cruise through LA if it is disembarkation port none of the other US ports seem to have the problems that LA does.

Every port can have its problems. Cruised through LA several times, always been one of the speedier ports. Gone through Vancouver, Seattle, and SF several times also. I would rank Seattle next, followed by Vancouver, and then SF. Granted, all of those ports have had their disastrous embarkation/disembarkation experiences.

Incidentally, since yours was a trans canal voyage, it may have been subject to additional screening. There's been issues lately with crew (and some passengers) using ships to smuggle drugs into the US. This may have caused a delay.

Edited by runnerodb83

I'm on the Coral as we dock in San Francisco. We've been on Code Red for two days. Hopeful they will lift that today while we are ashore. I haven't heard of people sick, but I'm not necessarily tied in with shipboard gossip.

Just a grumble that the coffee baristas carefully take a plastic top for your drink and impress all fingers on it, pressing down. How is this good sanitation practice?

Edited by Wehwalt

I'm on the Coral as we dock in San Francisco. We've been on Code Red for two days. Hopeful they will lift that today while we are ashore. I haven't heard of people sick, but I'm not necessarily tied in with shipboard gossip.

Just a grumble that the coffee baristas carefully take a plastic top for your drink and impress all fingers on it, pressing down. How is this good sanitation practice?

I am a bit more inclined to trust the barrista touching the lids as they are more likely to be washing their hands more frequently. I would be more concerned with those guests who attempt to separate the lids and handle several in the process. Then again, the barristas always take the coffee card and handle money as well. We're ALL doomed. :(

I am a bit more inclined to trust the barrista touching the lids as they are more likely to be washing their hands more frequently. I would be more concerned with those guests who attempt to separate the lids and handle several in the process. Then again, the barristas always take the coffee card and handle money as well. We're ALL doomed. :(

I guess ... but when you read the intricate ways people on these boards say they avoid norovirus, it's easy to overthink these things.

Still on Code Red as we leave ...

Incidentally, since yours was a trans canal voyage, it may have been subject to additional screening. There's been issues lately with crew (and some passengers) using ships to smuggle drugs into the US. This may have caused a delay.

I suspect the problem on Sunday was that 49% of the passengers on the canal transit cruise were Non-US.

Approximately 1.200 people were disembarking that day, of which there were probably way more 50% needing to go through full US Immigration process. This involves fingerprinting, (4 different ones), taking a photograph and the agent interviewing us about our plans. As I said before, we stood in line for 50-55 minutes for this process, having had an 'Early' disembarkation slot. The queue could only have got worse after us.

Once before in FLL after a transatlantic cruise it was 12 noon before we cleared the port after being given a disembarkation time of 9.30. :(

We were in port with you in Cabo San Lucas on the Ruby Princess. I was wondering which way your ship was going (back to LA or FLL).

Sorry you had trouble getting off the ship. They had 5 immigration officers for our disembarkation on Sunday the 26th and the line moved surprisingly quickly.

I've sailed into LA so many times, I can't count the number. 95% of the time, we're walking off the ship and driving away by 8am.

I suspect the problem on Sunday was that 49% of the passengers on the canal transit cruise were Non-US.

Approximately 1.200 people were disembarking that day, of which there were probably way more 50% needing to go through full US Immigration process. This involves fingerprinting, (4 different ones), taking a photograph and the agent interviewing us about our plans. As I said before, we stood in line for 50-55 minutes for this process, having had an 'Early' disembarkation slot. The queue could only have got worse after us.

Once before in FLL after a transatlantic cruise it was 12 noon before we cleared the port after being given a disembarkation time of 9.30. :(

Looking for something else saw this post. What ever your cruise and post plans hope you enjoy and of course hope John does improve and you stay healthy.

Going on the Crown were we met you in Oct.

Take care Eleanor