Princess Travel Insurance--Quick reply needed!

jarand

My parents are finalizing a cruise this afternoon. He has had some serious health issues, but has the go-ahead from his doctor. They are most concerned about emergency medical travel insurance, which is really hard to find for people over 75. They are looking at Princess travel insurance. I know it's just for the cruise, but I think they may book EZ air and hotel and transfer--everything through Princess. A few questions:

Does it cover pre-existing conditions?

Does it cover emergency medical care?

The price is based on the cruise itself, correct? (No extra $ for air, hotel...)

If they book everything through Princess, will the time period of their one night pre-cruise be covered?

If they have to cancel or cut the cruise short, will it cover things like change of flights and emergency evacuation?

All refunds are in the form of future cruise credits, correct?

I'm still looking for a link to the details on Princess insurance. If anyone has it I'd appreciate it! Thank you so much for your help!

My parents are finalizing a cruise this afternoon. He has had some serious health issues, but has the go-ahead from his doctor. They are most concerned about emergency medical travel insurance, which is really hard to find for people over 75. They are looking at Princess travel insurance. I know it's just for the cruise, but I think they may book EZ air and hotel and transfer--everything through Princess. A few questions:

Does it cover pre-existing conditions?

Does it cover emergency medical care?

The price is based on the cruise itself, correct? (No extra $ for air, hotel...)

If they book everything through Princess, will the time period of their one night pre-cruise be covered?

If they have to cancel or cut the cruise short, will it cover things like change of flights and emergency evacuation?

All refunds are in the form of future cruise credits, correct?

I'm still looking for a link to the details on Princess insurance. If anyone has it I'd appreciate it! Thank you so much for your help!

Look Here:http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

My parents are finalizing a cruise this afternoon. He has had some serious health issues, but has the go-ahead from his doctor. They are most concerned about emergency medical travel insurance, which is really hard to find for people over 75. They are looking at Princess travel insurance. I know it's just for the cruise, but I think they may book EZ air and hotel and transfer--everything through

Others have answered about the Princess insurance. From what I've read here on CC many people use Medjet Assist for their emergency medical travel insurance. You may want to check them out.

https://medjetassist.com/

If your father has had serious health issues, look carefully at the pre-existing condition clause. He must not have had any issues/changes in the last 60 days or else he is not covered.

Plus, Princess insurance only covers $20,000 medical which is nothing.

Look seriously at 3rd party insurance that would cover pre-existing conditions. They have much higher coverage. Also look at Medjet Assist if they fit the age profile.

I had a parent with health issues and honestly, I would not trust Princess's coverage for her. Just not good enough and the pre-existing condition clause is so picky. Even a change in medication could cause it to be null and void.

Others have answered about the Princess insurance. From what I've read here on CC many people use Medjet Assist for their emergency medical travel insurance. You may want to check them out.

If you are 75 or over, Medjet Assist does require medical information before deciding to issue an individual a policy.

Edited by caribill

...From what I've read here on CC many people use Medjet Assist for their emergency medical travel insurance. You may want to check them out.

I advise anyone traveling far from home who can't afford to self-insure for a possible six-figure air ambulance bill to look into Medjet Assist. Princess (and most other) insurances cover evacuation only to the nearest facility that can handle the level of care you need, not necessarily one near your home.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

If you are 75 or over, Medjet Assist does require medical information before deciding to issue an individual a policy.

Also, the cost of the annual membership in MedJetAssist rises once one becomes 75, and coverage is only useable one time per year.

If they are "Booking" and depositing their cruise this afternoon.. and you are using the Princess Insurance.. PAY for the insurance when you give them your deposit .. This may insure you against pre-existing conditions.. However, some states have different rules and the insurance companies go along with the rules of the state where the passenger resides.. Washington State is an example of this policy.. Ask..

Medjet Assist does not cover medical issues where inpatient hospitalization is not necessary. If someone was Medicare-reliant, Medjet Assist would not be adequate medical coverage outside the U.S.

For example, they would not provide any assistance in the event of a detached retina, a medical emergency requiring expensive care but not hospitalization.

I had many questions before using Princess insurance and was told to call affinity insurance :

For additional information regarding the plan, call: 1-877-846-8833 or 1-516-342-2720

Office hours: 8 A.M. – 10 P.M. ET, Monday – Friday, 9 A.M. – 5 P.M. ET, Saturday

Best to talk to them directly about your specific needs.

Medjet Assist does not cover medical issues where inpatient hospitalization is not necessary. If someone was Medicare-reliant, Medjet Assist would not be adequate medical coverage outside the U.S.

For example, they would not provide any assistance in the event of a detached retina, a medical emergency requiring expensive care but not hospitalization.

Good points--Medjet, IMO, is needed in ADDITION to a good travel medical policy, not instead of one.

If they are "Booking" and depositing their cruise this afternoon.. and you are using the Princess Insurance.. PAY for the insurance when you give them your deposit .. This may insure you against pre-existing conditions.. However, some states have different rules and the insurance companies go along with the rules of the state where the passenger resides.. Washington State is an example of this policy.. Ask..

This is not true with Princess insurance. From the day you pay for insurance (either with deposit or with final payment), there is always a 60 day look back period to the past 60 days.

Other insurance have options of waiving pre-exisiting conditions when you buy at deposit. My TA has a policy that waives pre-existing conditions when bought at final payment.

As far as per-existing conditions are concerned, here is what the Princess insurance fact sheet says:

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other

condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to

your effective date for which you:

1. received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test,

examination, or medical treatment; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition

which is treated or controlled solely through the taking

of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated

or controlled without any adjustment or change in the

required prescription throughout the 60-day period

before coverage is effective under this Policy.

Also, the cost of the annual membership in MedJetAssist rises once one becomes 75, and coverage is only useable one time per year.

And they will not sell you a policy at all once you turn 85. If you purchase at 84, they will cover you for one year after purchase date, though, even if that takes you past your 85th birthday.

And they will not sell you a policy at all once you turn 85. If you purchase at 84, they will cover you for one year after purchase date, though, even if that takes you past your 85th birthday.

Check out post #10. I know someone who has this and is over 85.

Check out post #10. I know someone who has this and is over 85.

I was referring to Medjet, not the other company you mentioned, just to avoid any confusion :). I will have to look into EA+, since I have a family member over 85 who still cruises.

I was referring to Medjet, not the other company you mentioned, just to avoid any confusion :). I will have to look into EA+, since I have a family member over 85 who still cruises.

Yes, I knew you were. We opted for EA over Medjet a few years ago because of price. Fortunately we never had to use it.