Alcohol Policy Enforcement

foxylady47

We are trying to plan a cruise with out European friends who has an 18 year old son. Legal drinking age in his country is 18. Princess policy does not allow 18 year old to drink regardless of Embarkation Port or being in international waters. We were wondering how strictly they enforce the rule. Would there be a problem if his parents purchased and gave it to

him?

Princess has many rules (eg, saving pool chairs) that they do

Not enforce. Assume they would not allow the young man to purchase with his card but wondered if an adult purchased how closely they would monitor.

While enforcement may vary by the waiter and officer involved, the official policy is no alcohol for anyone under 21. Violators can be put off the ship at the next port. So, no, you could not buy him a drink

As people have mentioned it is against the rules and he will not be able to buy. If his parent buy and let him drink and are discrete (for example not in the dining room where it would be very visible) it probably won't be caught.

However, if he should get intoxicated and there be any kind of an issue (doing something improper, visibly intoxicated, gets injured, etc.) they will probably find themselves off of the ship at the next port.

So as with other cases of violating the rules, especially rules listed in the cruise contract, do they really want/need to take the risk.

Edited by RDC1

Assume they would not allow the young man to purchase with his card but wondered if an adult purchased how closely they would monitor.
They may not catch it but why risk the server being fired and/or the boy and his parents being disembarked at the next port?

Princess follows U.S. alcohol laws whether docked or at sea. While some states have an 18 yo drinking age, as long as one state has 21, that's the law that's followed. Princess must follow the laws or risk severe fines so they don't take it lightly. It's nothing like the chair hog, dress code, etc. Alcohol drinking age is based on U.S. laws that are enforced, not Princess requests. Besides, what sort of message is being given to the boy? "If you don't like the law, just ignore it and if someone gets fired as a result, it's of no consequence."

FYI, round-trip cruises out of Southampton have a drinking age of 21.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thank you to everyone who responded. I do not believe it is a US law that comes into play here. Other cruise lines, Crystal for example, allow 18 year olds to purchase alcohol if in international waters at least 3 miles off the US shore line. Others, allow it if the ship embarks from a country where legal drinking age is 18. The policy between cruise lines varies greatly. I appreciate the feeling that 18 year olds are not old enough to drink. This person is quite mature and would be traveling with quite responsible parents. In any case, I will pass it along to his parents and they can decide whether they want to risk it or not. Thanks again!

His cruise card will indicate that he is not yet 21 years old, so no server will take an alcohol order from him.

And if waitstaff observes he is drinking alcohol his parents gave him, they will report this violation of the rules.

Only place his parents can give him an alcoholic drink is in their cabin.

Thank you to everyone who responded. I do not believe it is a US law that comes into play here. Other cruise lines, Crystal for example, allow 18 year olds to purchase alcohol if in international waters at least 3 miles off the US shore line. Others, allow it if the ship embarks from a country where legal drinking age is 18. The policy between cruise lines varies greatly. I appreciate the feeling that 18 year olds are not old enough to drink. This person is quite mature and would be traveling with quite responsible parents. In any case, I will pass it along to his parents and they can decide whether they want to risk it or not. Thanks again!

As you said it is not a legal issue except when the ship is in or near port. Then the local rules would come into play.

Beyond that it is up to each cruise line to set and enforce any limits.

I'm sorry but 18 yr olds no matter the state or country are not mature enough to deal with alcohol , some adults can't :rolleyes: parents need to put restraints on these teenagers and in my opinion the world would be a better place. Ok I'm off my soapbox have a great weekend!

In Australia we recognise 18 yr old's as being Adults with all the responsibilities it involves. ;)

Princess Cruises has a different alcohol policy for their cruise ships from Australia, 18 yr old's are allowed to partake. :cool:

Quote from http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"Guests must be 21 years of age or older to purchase and drink alcohol or gamble on board Princess ships at all times, (except onboard Sea Princess, Sun Princess or Dawn Princess, when they are travelling outside of U.S. waters, guests must be 18 years or older)."

In Australia we recognise 18 yr old's as being Adults with all the responsibilities it involves. ;)

Princess Cruises has a different alcohol policy for their cruise ships from Australia, 18 yr old's are allowed to partake. :cool:

Quote from http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"Guests must be 21 years of age or older to purchase and drink alcohol or gamble on board Princess ships at all times, (except onboard Sea Princess, Sun Princess or Dawn Princess, when they are travelling outside of U.S. waters, guests must be 18 years or older)."

and on select cruises departing Southampton.

So most say a blanket NO way.

But in some parts of the world Princess actually apply an age of 18 for drinking, guarantee it.

I sail almost exclusively, now, from Australia and here it is 18, [yes even on Princess].

So in spite of what many are saying the actual answer is t will depend where you are sailing from.

If his parents want to serve him alcohol, they know they can face consequences if his behavior gets a little off.

But...I would tell the parents just to be sure he isn't hanging around with older kids or others that are going into rooms to party. Very dangerous. Guidelines are needed.

The OP wasn't asking how we felt about 18 year olds drinking in general. It was a cruise ship specific question re policy.

Edited by eandj

Whether or not the culture influences drinking behavior or how old one should be to start are irrelevant to the OP's question. Princess must observe the laws of countries it does business with. End of story.

Whether or not the culture influences drinking behavior or how old one should be to start are irrelevant to the OP's question. Princess must observe the laws of countries it does business with. End of story.

I agree, I was responding to a post trying to justify a flawed (IMHO) premise regarding drinking ages and attitudes.

So that would be the same with every other cruise line too then?

The only time the cruise lines MUST observe alcohol restrictions of a particular country are when they are in inside territorial waters of that country (further complicated in USA where individual states enact alcohol laws, so state territorial waters boundaries would probably apply - not federal boundaries).

2 examples of alcohol policies for comparative purposes:

Cunards policy:

Passengers who are under 18 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume acholhol on board.

However, whilst in U.S. waters, Cunard enforces and abides by the U.S. legal dringing age of 21 years.

Proof of age may be required.

NCL policy:

Guests under 18 years of age are not allowed to purchase or consume alcohol aboard our fleet. With parental consent, guests aged 18 to 20 can purchase beer or wine for their personal consumption when the ship is sailing in international waters (except Alaska and Hawai’i sailings, where guests must be 21 years or older to purchase and consume alcohol of any kind). Parental consent for alcohol consumption can only be given on board, with the accompanying parent or legal guardian present to fill out the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form at the Guest Services Desk. Notarized parental consent or any other document filled out prior to the cruise will not be accepted. Guests 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages when sailing on round-trip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Cunard's policy is what any cruise line COULD do also.

NCL allows 18-20 to purchase and consume alcohol under a waiver system if on a USA based cruise whilst in International Waters (excludes Alaska and Hawaii cruises). Note also the 18-20 waiver system is not required if the cruise is European based.

So outside any territorial waters, each Cruise Line can set their own standards. You would need to look at each line's individual policiy.

To OP. Princess chooses to set the alcohol age at 21+. Their ships, their rules. You want to break rules, be prepared for the consequences if caught.

p.s. Australian based Princess cruises has a 18+. Japan based Princess cruises has a 20+

I wonder how many Continental Europeans, where it is quite normal for younger family members to have a small - and often watered down - glass of wine with their meal, inadvertently contravene this policy.

They may not catch it but why risk the server being fired and/or the boy and his parents being disembarked at the next port?

Princess follows U.S. alcohol laws whether docked or at sea. While some states have an 18 yo drinking age, as long as one state has 21, that's the law that's followed. Princess must follow the laws or risk severe fines so they don't take it lightly. It's nothing like the chair hog, dress code, etc. Alcohol drinking age is based on U.S. laws that are enforced, not Princess requests. Besides, what sort of message is being given to the boy? "If you don't like the law, just ignore it and if someone gets fired as a result, it's of no consequence."

How do US Laws (which vary from state to state for drinking) come into effect on a vessel operating from the UK which is registered in the Bahamas (a British protectorate) and which sails under the ensign of the British Merchantile Marine ?

Is it not simply a Princess policy - and a stupid one at that in my view.

An 18-20 year old could serve in the US military (correct me if wrong) on active service in a hostile theatre of operations - but not be entitled to a beer on a Princess ship during a period of leave ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Last year it was 18 on the Emerald, they put a sticker over the age on the advisory sign.

According to the Princess brochure, Mediterranean and Northern Europe 2016 - Age Limits. "Due to US custom and practice, passengers must be 21 years of age or over to purchase or drink alcohol or gamble (18 years or over on Emerald Princess cruises departing from Southampton)."

These rules are in this brochure and would necessarily form part of the contract with the company.

So is this cruise ex Southampton on Emerald Princess? Additionally you may have to be wary about ports where local laws are relevant and cruise line rules are not.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Our waiter on the Coral said they cannot sell wine to under 21 but the parents could give them it. That takes the selling of alchohol away from Princess. On other lines parents sign a waiver.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do US Laws (which vary from state to state for drinking) come into effect .....

Minimum legal drinking age in all states is 21 and has been so for a number of years. It used to vary, but a law passed by Congress said states that did not move the minimum age to 21 would lose many millions of $$$ in highway funding, so the states that had under 21 laws changed them.

An 18-20 year old could serve in the US military (correct me if wrong) on active service in a hostile theatre of operations - but not be entitled to a beer on a Princess ship during a period of leave ? They also cannot have a beer on a military base.

see comments above

Our waiter on the Coral said they cannot sell wine to under 21 but the parents could give them it. That takes the selling of alchohol away from Princess. On other lines parents sign a waiver.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a personal decision by the waiter contrary to Princess policy.

It doesn't matter what is "right" or what "should be" nor does it matter what the local laws are. Princess makes the rules. Period. They have the few ships that sail out of a specific region where they say the limit is 18 years of age. On most of their ships they say the limit is 21 years of age.

Violate the rules at your own risk. If one violates the rules and is booted off of the ship at the next port of call there will be nobody to blame but themselves. It's really very simple.

My eldest daughter was 19 on our last cruise out of Southampton and was allowed to drink.

However as others have said it is easy to find yourself breaking rules without intending to. Much to our embarrassment we were stopped from allowing our younger daughter, aged 16, to drink a glass of wine with our family dinner. This is perfectly legal in the UK and indeed on Carnivals British cruise line P&O.

Obviously our fault for assuming all UK licensing rules were being applied but something other families may wish to be aware of.