Food can it get any more boring?

Msail

I love princess cruises but not the food . The chefs on board have years of experience and I know they can put food out that has some love in it. Is this a ploy so they do not compete with the premium restaurants?

I thought the food was good on the Star. Dont do the specialty restaurants because they are not any better than the dining room.

Some things I liked were the duck, surf and turf,clam spaghetti, salads, veal scaloppini, filet of sole,cod,and most deserts.

The pastas were mostly a disappointment as they mistly came with different ingredients than described and very little meat. Only a few years ago the pastas were a highlight. They seem to use that tired red sauce over and over again

I never find the food on Princess boring because there are so many options, whether it's the dining room, buffet, grill, pizza, IC, crab shack, specialty restaurants. One person's "Yuck" is another's "Yum."

I love princess cruises but not the food . The chefs on board have years of experience and I know they can put food out that has some love in it. Is this a ploy so they do not compete with the premium restaurants?

Kind of agree with you. The food is definitely mass market food. As has been mentioned the pasta use to be great now not so much. Unless of course they make a batch in the dining room which is usually better. The food reminds me of the shows. If you cruise more then once every few years the menus are pretty much the same to the point you can almost memorize them. We have had some pretty good items and some that were a disappointment. Way too much salt. And we have found the quality to be different from ship to ship. Have never gone hungry and always gain weight. We like cruising and Princess is a perfect fit for us. :)

Been cruising with Princess for 23 years and I have seen a definite decrease in quality and variety of food. I think the so called specialty restaurants have been a large contributor to the downward trend. Having said all that Princess is still our go to brand for cruising.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

Also, sailing on one line exclusively, I'm sure it can get repetitive, however, there are so many options available that it would take me at least another 30 cruises with Princess to get bored.

What's the solution for the OP? Try other cruise lines, see what's out there...

I find the food better than average. Remember in a Michelin star restaurant each and every meal is constructed and then scrutinized by the head chef before it goes out. Princess has to make 2 to 3 thousand dinners a night! Rarely am I not satisfied and when I was my waiter simply brought me something else;) or another portion:D

Sorry but I have to disagree.......we have sailed with Princess for many years. Yes as mentioned there are cutbacks but we love the new menu's. We first saw them on our Regal cruise was really good every night.

I don't know what ploy you are talking about or a premium restaurant?

If you are referring to the specialty restaurants we don't view them as premium. The Crown Grill may have been premium at its inception but since removing the live Maine lobster and the large 12oz tails its not quite premium in our opinion.

As stated food is subjective. We still enjoy our meals onboard Princess. :)

It is impossible to pay Princess' prices and get Oceania's or Crystal's food. It simply cannot be done. No matter how gifted the galley staff, if meals are being churned out 500 at a time, you cannot get four star dining. One either accepts this fact, or pays more to dine on ships with smaller passenger loads. As compared to similarly priced mass market cruise lines, I think Princess is doing pretty well.

The dining room Princess food is better than Carnival by far. Yes, it's not gourmet, but you're not paying those prices either. :)

Agree!! The prices we pay aren't for gourmet food and that's ok with us! We are very satisfied with Princess food. We will never starve to death that's for sure!!

Kind of agree with you. The food is definitely mass market food. As has been mentioned the pasta use to be great now not so much. Unless of course they make a batch in the dining room which is usually better. The food reminds me of the shows. If you cruise more then once every few years the menus are pretty much the same to the point you can almost memorize them. We have had some pretty good items and some that were a disappointment. Way too much salt. And we have found the quality to be different from ship to ship. Have never gone hungry and always gain weight. We like cruising and Princess is a perfect fit for us. :)

you can ask for less salt or even salt free.

I noticed in the buffet they had a whole section labeled "salt free"

Food is good. But I get tired of rich gourmet meals. Sometimes I just want some down home southern cooking. The bread is awful. Hard rolls that are cold. Some hot bread would be nice. Desserts are too rich. I just want a good ole Apple Pie sometimes.

There are so many choices in the assortment of venues, we don't get bored. I look at mdr food as a step above convention food. Tough to get too gourmet and exciting feeding the numbers the ships need to.

Our best meals were on Oceania and Seabourn. But the passenger count is much lower and cost is higher. So, we can live easily with food options on Princess and Celebrity. We have found Celebrity's specialties clearly surpass Princess.

I'm just curious to where you eat when at home? We eat out occasionally (not expensive restaurants by any means) and compared to what we usually eat it's usually much better. I will add that there desserts until this last year were getting a little monotonous.

you can ask for less salt or even salt free.

I noticed in the buffet they had a whole section labeled "salt free"

Karen what ship was this? Was it one of the new ones? I've been on 29 Princess cruises and don't remember seeing anything in the buffet that said salt free.

Thanks

Prior to the acquisition of Sitma in 1988, Princess food was on par with Ryan's, Golden Corral, and similar bloateries. The early 90s were a renaissance in the galleys of Princess, and since the quality of the food has steadily increased year-after-year. There are some dishes that may not please all palates, but the chefs are some of the best in the industry. Perhaps you just picked a string of bad choices, such as the Vegetable Pâté, Shrimp Newburg, Crawfish Etouffee, or Gamberi alla Fra Diavalo. When in doubt - go with the All-Time Favorite of Rome!

Edited by smellycruzer