Surf & Turf, 4x4 Terracross & Speed Boat thru Carnival-Anyone been on this excursion?

kjenn008

Looking for reviews on the Surf & Turf, 4x4 Terracross & Speed Boat excursion thru Carnival. Traveling with my boyfriend and his parents. Wondering if there is a lot of walking or if it's too much exertion for my boyfriend's father.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in a response as well...

Looking for reviews on the Surf & Turf, 4x4 Terracross & Speed Boat excursion thru Carnival. Traveling with my boyfriend and his parents. Wondering if there is a lot of walking or if it's too much exertion for my boyfriend's father.

• 5 months later...

Maybe too late to help you out but here's my 2 cents for anyone else who might find this thread.

In terms of exertion, it's a short walk from the port to the base camp where the 4x4s are. However, riding the speedboats was very bumpy - not unbearably so for myself as a 25 year old, but may be uncomfortable and exhausting for elderly.

Below is my review of the entire excursion at Cozumel (TL;DR: I like adventurous stuff, I didn't really enjoy it too much)

It's not bad in the sense that you get to try two different things (4x4 + speedboat). But it's not as fun as I would have liked.

I've done 4x4s twice before, once in Vegas and once in Dubai and this one paled in comparison.

After getting off the ship, met the tour guide, filled out paperwork, and a short walk to base camp. From there, you watch some instructional videos and they offer you GoPros for rent. Then you drive the 4x4s through town for about 10 minutes to get to the "wilderness area." This area was so disappointing, the drive through the city was almost more exciting. There was literally nothing to see but a bunch of lackluster trees and mud. No wildlife and no good views. Another ~10 minutes of driving through this wilderness and you get to the "halfway point" and the tour guides stopped us to allow a driver change (1 vehicle is shared by 4 people). We only had 8 people on the excursion and they had plenty of 4x4s available but still they made us share 2 vehicles.

We knew from the beginning that "driving responsibilities would be shared" but I assumed at least every one of the four people would get a turn. However, there's only 2 opportunities to switch drivers. Leaving base camp to the wilderness halfway point, I drove, and there were no stops. Then, my girlfriend and I let the other couple go. The other guy drove from the halfway point to the beach where we did speedboating. Then, the last opportunity to drive is from the speedboating area back to base camp through the town. Luckily for us, the other guy's girlfriend did not want to drive and they were nice enough to relinquish that last driving opportunity to let my girlfriend give it a try - even though that time should probably rightfully belong to them in terms of fair division.

After leaving the wilderness, we drove to a little secluded beach/resort area and did the speedboats (2 people per boat). Here, you can rent lockers for a small fee. I opted not to get a locker because I didn't bring anything very valuable, and the only people there are the employees, so I didn't see why I should have to pay for a locker for them not to take my stuff.

Speedboats were an interesting experience but not that fun. It was super bumpy and not that easy to control, but the view was not bad. Jet skis are definitely more fun to ride. We got back to the beach area and our tour guides pressured us about not only tipping them, but also tipping the people at the resort area. They provided us with basic nachos, chicken fajitas, and some juice. Even the "chef" who handed us our food made sure to remind us that tipping is customary and not included. At the small beach area there's a pool, a fish spa where little fish nibble at your feet (for a fee), massage (for a fee), fresh guacamole (for sale), and they have pictures taken of you throughout the excursion for sale.

We then had a bit of time to play in the beach area - but the beach itself was pretty much completely unusable: it was filled with seaweed. We ended up just laying in some hammocks until it was time to go drive back to base camp and that was the end of the excursion.

Overall, I am disappointed, but it was still ok. The best thing I took away from it was being able to say I drove a speedboat. If you haven't driven a 4x4 before, then this one might be a fun first time. Other than that, the somewhat disorganized and inconvenient structure of the tour, plus the constant upselling, and it not being that much fun - it was an average excursion.

I wish I would have tried a different excursion to better use my limited port time.

Edited by badbeatking