Best Way to Caye Caulker

MsMistiS

My fiancé and I are cruising the Carnival Dream next month and decided to spend our Belize day on Caye Caulker. I checked the water taxi website and it's only $25 round trip. Is this the best way to get there or are there alternatives? We do not want to take any type of tour. Just want to get to the Caye and decide what to do when we get there. Also any info you might have about this area would be great.

We were in the same boat. We wanted to just spend the day at CC and decided, after reading a lot of reviews and looking at all the options, to go with CoralBreeze Tours. They take you out there with the group doing the shark snorkel, but take everyone who wants to go to the caye first, drops you off then heads out on the tour. They come back about 4 hrs later to pick you up.

I had considered flying, but the price was too high. The only thing that we did not like was the bumpy ride out to the Caye. It took about 50 minutes and the boat we had was very uncomfortable, but I hear they have different boats and we did not luck out. The ride back was nice, easy and smooth!

What was EXTRA nice was we told them we wanted two golf carts before we even left Belize City and Star made some calls and had them there when we arrived in CC. They were awesome, ran well, had plenty of juice and we used them the full four hours, making short stops around the island. It was one of our most favorite days on a cruise excursion and there is no question we will be back on that little island for a land stay!!

I agree with mrsfuzzmo, pay the extra for the tour. The companies who run the water taxis are also contracted to do the tendering for the cruise lines. if there's more than one ship in port during your visit they'll pull taxis off their regular schedules to use as tenders. Pay the extra amount to have a dedicated ride back.

Thank you both for the advice. I wasn't sure how reliable the water taxi times were. Mrsfuzzmo did you try any of the Rum Punch they offer on the CoralBreeze tour? And did they have any snacks on the boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm doing the Coral Breeze tour next month just as transport to Caye Caulker and back... I was going to do the shark ray ally snorkel also, but have heard so many good things about CC that I've decided to just spend the day there exploring... (Plus, I've done shark ray alley on a prior cruise. It is an awesome experience)

Thank you both for the advice. I wasn't sure how reliable the water taxi times were. Mrsfuzzmo did you try any of the Rum Punch they offer on the CoralBreeze tour? And did they have any snacks on the boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately I did not. I was hoping to embibe, but those out snorkeling cleaned them out by the time we got onto the boat for the return back to port. The jugs were empty! LOL

It's OK, though, we had plenty to drink on CC. The prices were great and we had some awesome drinks and fresh food. I highly recommend getting a golf cart to buzz around. It was not expensive and we were able to see the entire island, AND make a lot of stops along the way. Super Fun day!!