Native Choice

angeleyes27

We were thinking of taking a Native Choice tour in Costa Maya to the ruins instead of the ship tour. I see great reviews. However, I tried contacting them twice and they never replied back so that causes me doubt. Are they far from the ship dock? Do they drop you off back at the port? I remember from years ago that you couldn't have salad (anything rinsed in water) or drink water in Mexico or else you would get Montezuma's revenge. Is that still true today? I remember that our group didn't follow that advice in Jamaica and all of us got sick. This goes back 25 years though.

How long age did you try contacting them? Sometimes internet/wifi traffic is spotting, especially if there's been a storm through the area. Also look in your spam folder, sometimes outside of US emails get redirected automatically and you'll never see them unless you look.

Re water. Things has changed significantly in 25 years. To be safe drink bottled water, but most restaurants and food providers for tour groups use filtered water in washing veggies and food prep.

I contacted them almost 2 weeks ago and then again about 8-9 days ago. Nothing in the spam folder. They have a meal in a Mayan village with dirt floors. I would not think they used filtered water there yet I have not heard of people getting sick. I contacted them through their website area that has a place to send emails

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I contacted them through a different email server, not through the contact us area on their website and heard back from them this time. For those who have walked the 4 blocks to the office, did you feel safe when you were walking? Thanks.

I contacted them through a different email server, not through the contact us area on their website and heard back from them this time. For those who have walked the 4 blocks to the office, did you feel safe when you were walking? Thanks.

The only things along the street to their office are shops and unfinished building for more shops. Street is wide. There's a median strip walking area, but it might not start until the statue/maya tower at the traffic circle. Anyone you see on the street will most likely be other cruisers.

I have done this excursion -- they absolutely use filtered/bottled water -- for everything from washing veggies to mixed to drinks. All families who are involved have received food safety training (according to our guide).

Not sure why you're not getting a response -- I didn't have any trouble.

739542574_Picture073.jpg.170f24c7645bc4bbe32c783dc12966f5.jpg

The walk to their office is easy and you will feel safe. As an alternative to the tour that visits a Mayan village, you might also consider the Chacchoben Extreme tour. There is really nothing very "extreme" at all about this tour, except perhaps 15 minutes of riding along a slightly bumpy dirt road to get to the resort after visiting the ruins. The resort is new, the eating area is very clean (as are the washrooms and changing rooms), and the lunch is a bit boring but adequate - all vegetables are cooked. After lunch you can relax in comfy lounge chairs at the edge of a lagoon (or you can swim or kayak if you prefer). We thoroughly enjoyed this tour. A few photos attached will give you an idea.

https://www.thenativechoice.com/tours/chacchoben-extreme-tour

29371362765_19d9e633a7_c.jpg[/url]Native Choice tour - lunch by

29084019060_76343e9240_c.jpgBacalar Lagoon Resort by

29337633026_8bbaf1e52d_c.jpgBacalar Lagoon by

29083998370_7eb48d7ab8_c.jpgBacalar Lagoon by

I heard back from them and they recommended that I do the ruins only tour so that is what we booked. I am very sensitive to spices and sauces and can end up with hives, cramping, severe heartburn, and much worse that can last for hours, even days. I once ended up in the ER. So they felt it best to not chance it although I would have liked to visit the village. The directions on their reservation form seemed very thorough.

Hi - I am researching a Baltic cruise with added on Norway and I came across your posts about doing the same thing in 2013. Can I ask you how it worked out? What did you end up doing in Norway and would you recommend that? If you want you can reply to me by email at crimlaw@ecentral.com. I didn't mean to interrupt this thread but do not know another way to reach you. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

We booked with Native Choice (and will ONLY use them when revisiting) for their CHACCHOBEN MAYA RUINS TOUR: Being a private tour company, they have been removed from the port by the cruise companies (SHAME on all you cruise companies) and requires you to walk to their office about 4 blocks away. Walk was okay and the two of us felt safe. They were allowed to drop us at the port on our return. The girls at the office welcomed you with smiles and very helpful with getting you set to go. We were divided into small groups (we were 8 or 9) with two guides. "Al", a beautiful young woman who was always ready to take pictures when asked. Our driver (can't remember his name) was very nice, always extending a hand to help you get in and out of their comfortable up to date van and handing us cool water. We were with Ivan Cohuo, one of the tour directors. I had corresponded with him before booking and he was prompt to reply to my emails. This excursion was the high light of our cruise and mainly due to our guide, Ivan Cohuo. We learned so much about the Mayan people, their culture, Mexico and the ruins from him. No matter what the question was he would spend the time to answer you. What was so incredible besides having a small group (felt just for you) was that Ivan's father founded the ruins of Chacchoben, lived there and Ivan was born and grew up at the ruins! You can't get any more personal and factual than this! He showed us a building where his mothers out door kitchen and his home was and explained the fun he had growing up and playing there on the ruins. He explained each ruin, found pieces of pottery to point out to us, spider monkeys, trees and fruit to make gum - the wealth of information was fascinating! Ivan is so passionate about his heritage and gets everyone so excited. We volunteered to return and assist when excavation continues!!! PLEASE use Native Choice tours as your excursion choice at Costa Maya, you will not find a more passionate source to give you the most in depth and personal time NOT to mention far less expensive!! Thank you Ivan and Native Choice, you at beyond A+++++!!!

Hope you follow through using them, you will not be disappointed, but as another viewer mentioned, wifi there is not up to the standard in the US and slow.

Hope you don't mind if I ask a related question in your thread...

Has anyone ever paid the full amount in advance? I'm already wary of carrying around so much cash with us, and if we pay in full in advance that's a lot less money we have to bring with us, but I'm hesitant. Any thoughts?

We were concerned as well as this was our first cruise and time out of the country experience. We paid the deposit of $30.00 ($15.00pp) with a credit card from the Native Choice site. Through emails with Ivan (Tour Director) he said we could pay the balance with the credit card when we arrived or in US dollars. We did bring cash in case, but used the credit card and it was fine and experienced no problems. I noticed on the reservation sheet when checking in most paid in full already, but you don't have to.

Being the experience we had with them I will not hesitate to pay in full from their site.

Hope you have a great time and hope you get Ivan as your guide!! Enjoy !!!:)

Edited by paty2k

• 5 months later...

We booked the Chacchoben Ruins tour directly with Native Choice. I read many reviews that were all very favorable. I emailed Ivan a tour director and he promptly replied to my questions. It wasn't a very long walk to their office from and ship and I completed payment at their office with credit card. Everyone was great! Vans were comfortable and fairly new, water was given to each person. There was a second guide with us besides Ivan for our small group of 8.

I would highly recommend Native Choice and if possible, request to have Ivan Cohuo as your guide. Ivan's father found the ruins, he grew up there and played on the temples. Nothing so personal as having first hand information. He was also very informative about his country and answered any questions.

You will not go wrong and I doubt you will get a better tour than going with Native Choice.

We were also dropped off right at the port and had plenty of time to shop and visit the port as their tours were first thing in the morning.

PS we booked Tulum with NCL and the sight was great but the tour guide... Wish Native Choice was in all ports!!

Edited by paty2k
forgot important note to add

• 4 weeks later...

Did tour to Dzibanche last week with Lorenzo of The Native Choice. Incredibly great experience. The only people we saw in the 4 block walk were taxi drivers trying to get business. The streets were otherwise very empty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We are interested in the ability to climb the ruins. Dzibanche looks like the only option but we would love to combine this with authentic food not the box lunch. Do you know if there is time to grab some local food during the break stops and or at Bacalar Town stop?

• 6 months later...