Eastern Caribbean Port Trips

Welsh Advocate

Hi All, a bit late in the day I know but here goes....

We are flying to NY to board the QM2 to the Eastern Caribbean, stopping off ar St Maarten, st Kitts, Dominica, Tortola and St Thomas.

How would you rate which ports to visit in order of preference as I don't think we'll do all the excursions to be honest.

Once at the port of choice what's the best way to maximise your day? What would be your choice of excursion once there?

Thank you so much, we are a couple in early 50s with a sprightly 83 year old MIL ccompsnying us

Hi All, a bit late in the day I know but here goes....

We are flying to NY to board the QM2 to the Eastern Caribbean, stopping off ar St Maarten, st Kitts, Dominica, Tortola and St Thomas.

How would you rate which ports to visit in order of preference as I don't think we'll do all the excursions to be honest.

Once at the port of choice what's the best way to maximise your day? What would be your choice of excursion once there?

Thank you so much, we are a couple in early 50s with a sprightly 83 year old MIL ccompsnying us

I've not been to all of the ports listed but have been to St Maarten and St Thomas. In St Thomas, do take the ferry over to St John if you can manage. St John is a much prettier island, especially for beach and nature lovers. 2/3 of the island is US National Park land and it is much less developed; truly the jewel of the USVI.

St Maarten is a lot of fun but is certainly a lively island. We've only been to the Dutch side [where you'll dock as well most likely] and it is a typical day in the West Indies; sun, sand and shopping for the most part. Friendly locals and a nice time though.

Have a fabulous trip! QM2 is a stunning lady!

Edited by Bostonjetset

St. Marten is lovely....from the dock you take the water taxi to town, $8 for the day as many hop offs and on as you wish. Get off on the downtown pier and stroll the town, they have lovely shops, very clean. There is a great beach right in town where you can rent sun loungers for the day along with refreshments and food delivery to your chair. You can also take an excursion to the French side, it has a very nice market, but is more expensive. The other option is to go to any of the numerous beaches. I always go to the town there. In St. Thomas there is a tour that does a brief history tour and then goes to Magen's Bay, a really lovely beach. You can rent loungers there, the swimming is lovely. St. Thomas and St Maarten are the two best jewelry shopping places in the Caribbean as long as you are prepared to bargain. St. Kitts is a good place to do a tour, it has a nice rain forest, and some interesting history. When you get off the ship there are tour companies who do a three hour tour for twenty dollars per person, in air conditioned vans. Considerably cheaper. The sugar train, which we had considered, was quite a disappointment when we saw it and we were glad we had not booked it. I have not been to the other two ports. I have done st. Maarten and st. Thomas four times they are my favourite ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are all kinds of tour buses at the port in Tortola. You can do an island tour that takes you to some great look out points, and add a quick (or long) stop at the beach (Cane Garden Bay). I've been a few times to that beach. Its picturesque, but be careful if you want to swim. There can be some strong waves or currents there at times. The one day I was there someone was sucked out and drowned. It is a beautiful beach to sit on in terms of scenery though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums