Amex Platinum Card - OBC Help needed!

OceanMonarch

There is a great deal of conflicting information concerning this benefit from Amex.

Does anyone have a very recent experience using their Amex platinum card?

I called Amex this morning (1 800-492 3344 member benefits) and asked if I could use my Optima platinum or my business platinum to book my cruise through my online travel agent. I was told 4 times (because I asked the same question 4 times) that I could use my Optima card to obtain the $300 OBC but not my business platinum. Great! I thought. What do I do next?

I contacted my online agent and apparently 'they don't work with the credit card companies or handle any programs they may offer.'

I thought that this OBC came via a 'tracking number' issued by Amex when you paid your voyage with the Amex card. It has nothing to do with any travel agent/cruise line OBC?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

If you didn't do the actual booking through Amex that would be the problem. Found this on the US Amex site:

"Valid for new bookings of voyages of at least five nights made through (their own branded travel agency).. May not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Blackout dates, category and fare restrictions may apply. Payment must be made with an American Express Card in U.S. Platinum Card Member or Centurion® Member's name. Card Member must travel on itinerary booked. Benefits listed require double occupancy and are non-transferable... Card Members receive $300 USD shipboard credit for all staterooms category C or higher on Cunard Line."

Did you see a deal on the online site you normally use and also want the OBC? That might be "combining offers".

Do the math before booking. The $300 OBC at the prices the card company's agency offers might not cancel out the promotion that you see on another site.

Edited by BlueRiband

Not true, your agent needs to call AMEX for a tracking number based on your platinum product, then that tracking number is placed on your booking and you get all the benefits assuming they are combinable with your fare. My agent has been doing this for me for years and did the same for my upcoming QM2 sailing

If you didn't do the actual booking through Amex that would be the problem. Found this on the US Amex site:

"Valid for new bookings of voyages of at least five nights made through (their own branded travel agency).. May not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Blackout dates, category and fare restrictions may apply. Payment must be made with an American Express Card in U.S. Platinum Card Member or Centurion® Member's name. Card Member must travel on itinerary booked. Benefits listed require double occupancy and are non-transferable... Card Members receive $300 USD shipboard credit for all staterooms category C or higher on Cunard Line."

Did you see a deal on the online site you normally use and also want the OBC? That might be "combining offers".

Do the math before booking. The $300 OBC at the prices the card company's agency offers might not cancel out the promotion that you see on another site.

Yes, that has also been my experience.

...plus if you see a fare lower then Am Ex should be able to match the fare. In fact if the fare goes down you simple call them... The one catch today is that some fares are not combinable with certain promotions so then you and your agent have to see what is best or most competitive.

Today Am Ex offers the OBC and double points. The amount when first booked and then once you return you get the second set of points.

~Steve

Avalon posting herein is correct.

My agent also obtains a tracking number for my Amex Platinum card and applies it to the booking.

I have been receiving the $300 OBC, even when traveling solo, and almost always in combination with other OBC and amenities.

Thank you everyone for your input.

It seems that a knowledgeable travel agent is the way to go!

It appears that you do not have to book with Amex Travel to obatin this OBC - agencies have a system to log in into to obtain this 'tracking number from Amex 'http://www.americanexpress.com/ASDOnline.

Perhaps some travel agencies do not participate in this program, although I am surprised this particular agency does not. They are a very large online company based in Texas.

A final question to those who have obtained this benefit? Did any of you use your Optima card? Having spoken to Amex, even they are confused over which cards can be used. This is a quote from an earlier thread.

I received the $300 SBC plus Wine plus free first night dinner in Pinnacle and I used a Amex Platinum Optima Card. Annual Fee: $0.

Will book today if I can get this sorted out.:)

I'm not sure you are correct... I know with the Centurian Card you must book through American Express. You currently get a $300.00 OBC along with whatever Cunard is giving, Exclusive embarkation, Bottle of fine wine and double membership rewards.

I believe you get similar through Platinum Travel but not with a branded Am Ex Card.

The above is for Cunard, Clebrity is not part of the program and Crystal Cruises you get a $500.00 OBC, $200 Shore Excursion Credit and the Double Membership rewards.

Your Travel Agent may be able to get a OBC through their travel netwrok but it is not part of the AM Ex if you circumvent booking through them.

~Steve

Ive received AMEX platinum benefits on Cunard, Celebrity and Crystal on over 30 voyages over the past 10 years. I've never booked through AMEX platinum travel, but there is a system that your agent needs to obtain a tracking number through AMEX travel. You agent needs to be set up in this system

My Crystal cruise in October was $250 single occupancy OBC (masked as shorex credit) and on my upcoming QM2 crossing I have $300 OBC single combinable with group OBC and my book on board OBC.

On Celebrity is not fully combinable, but pieces are (ie: bottle of wine, etc), if you are getting OBC from other means

I have a standard personal Platinum Card. If you have a good agent, there is no problem getting your AMEX benefits. If you are on a group fare, as example, it might not be combinable, but should always try

A final question to those who have obtained this benefit? Did any of you use your Optima card? Having spoken to Amex, even they are confused over which cards can be used. This is a quote from an earlier thread.

I received the $300 SBC plus Wine plus free first night dinner in Pinnacle and I used a Amex Platinum Optima Card. Annual Fee: $0.

You cannot use the Optima card, you need to use the Platinum Card. Annual Fee $450. The quote you found must have been for some other promotion.

https://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/cpp

The Optima Platinum card, confusingly, isn't the American Express Platinum Card.

This is the list of Optima benefits: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/view-all/optima-legacy

This is the list of American Express Platinum benefits:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/view-all/platinum

You will see "Cruise Privileges Program" listed in the 2nd link, but not in the first.

However, you are correct that some travel agents are willing to interact with the American Express systems necessary, in order to get you the benefits even if you don't book though PTS. My travel agent does this for me frequently. Some cruise lines are more strict on combining promotions. I've had much success with having CPP applied on Cunard, but I've run into issues when trying to use it with discounted fare codes on Royal Caribbean.

Thank you, Karl nj for confirming that the Optima Platinum card can not be used.

I did call Amex again during the week and they apologized for giving incorrect information on my earlier call. Oh well...

American Express caused all of this confusion themselves by putting "Platinum" in the name of several of their no fee Credit Cards. It sounds like even their call center employees are unclear on what cards offer what services. It's not limited to the Cruise Privileges Program, I've heard of people trying to use American Express Cards that say "Platinum" on them to get into Airline Lounges, and they run into the same issue.

Then to make things more confusing, all of the credit card companies sometimes have various limited time programs. Every so often Carnival has some bonus if you use a Mastercard. Amex currently has a deal with NCL where you can use *any* Amex card, including the Optima: http://www.ncl.com/promo/amx-promo However NCL is apparently now also getting involved in the Amex Cruise Privileges Program, because they bought Oceania. I'm sure this is going to cause a great deal of confusion.

However, you aren't missing too much. I've had success in the past with using Amex CPP with Cunard, but whenever I try to use it for any other cruise line, my travel agent can usually find a better deal that doesn't qualify for CPP. I'd rather save $600, then pay $600 more to get $300 OBC.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if the AMEX PLAT benefit can be added after final payment?

Have a hold that expires tomorrow for a cruise that needs to be paid in full since it is in january. however the AMEX office that needs to give me a tracking number is not open until monday