Boarding time @ Southampton?

jcl410

Hi -

I'm on the Dec. 15th QM2 voyage that leaves from Southampton's Ocean Terminal.

Our E-tickets list our boarding time as 1330. Is it possible to board earlier than then? What about just checking in, and having a seat in the terminal till it's time to board?

I love trains, so I will be taking the train from Waterloo to Southampton Central. There are arrivals at 1122,1149,1222, 1248, and 1322. (I only listed the trains with the shorter travel time.)

Which arrival makes the most sense, depending on the answer to first question.

Aloha,

John

When we arrived to board the QE at the end of September, we had a boarding time of 12.30. We actually arrived at 11.20, and booked in and were on board in a few minutes. We were in a PG and had preferential boarding, but neither my wife or I can remember anybody sitting in the lounge waiting to board.

If you do have to wait, there are usually refreshments and magazine available to keep yourself amused! In our early days of cruising, check in did not open until 12 midday, and boarding started at 2 pm, Its a lot slicker these days!

I would go for the 1122 as well!

Having had serious delays of several hours on a couple of trains of late, I would also opt for the earlier train. I'd rather wait in the terminal than spend my time panicking about being late.

Have a great time - we're on the same 26 nights next year.

We have a boarding time of 14.30 but Ned to be out of the hotel by 12. Will have 2 over excited kids and 4 big suitcases so will just have to sit and wait.

Would it be wrong to open a bottle in the holding area?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You can ask the hotel reception about holding the luggage till a convenient time for you to get a taxi for boarding. This way you can see a bit of the town before boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would it be wrong to open a bottle in the holding area?������
I always board with a half consumed 500ml bottle of Pepsi Max on my person. Never had a problem. Don't go for the full 2 litre bottle of White Lightning 8.4% cider though, there is limited access to toilets in the security area.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

If you are spending the night in Southampton, be sure to have the hotel arrange your transport the evening prior to boarding. There are a limited number of taxi's and cars. They do a good job, but it's best to have one arranged that can carry all of your baggage. The terminals are nice, heated and comfortable. People watch while you are waiting. It's entertaining.

I often arrive quite early and like to watch the comings and goings at the port. I was quite disappointed on QE in November, we arrived at 11.40am and were onboard before 12pm. I think we had 12.30 on our tickets which was checked before we were sent to the Priority (we are platinum level) lane. No waiting or queuing, a non stop embarkation. Cabins were not ready and I never heard an announcement. We went to our cabin at 12.30 just as our last suitcase was being delivered and of course the cabin was ready. Set the tone for a very good cruise.

Disembarkation was less good. Luggage had to be out by 11pm so before the end of the show. No platinum lounge (there was for Diamond). We sat in the Lido with a coffee and self disembarked at 9.40 when they made the last call for departing passengers. Taxi were available so we were soon away.

I boarded Pullmantur Sovereign in Barcelona in the summer. Queue in the rain (only drizzle) outside for luggage labels, Queue to drop off your luggage. Enter the terminal. Queue to check in. Queue for security, Queue to board. I loved it all. Something I have not experienced from the UK. Over 2400 very pleasant Spanish passengers too. Luckily all the terminal staff and ships crew spoke very good English.

I think the Cruise lines seem to have improved how they handle embarkation at U.K. Ports. I think getting the early arrivers early stops queues building up before the majority of people arrive. The price we pay is not having our cabins at embarkation and getting up earlier on the last morning.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

Would it be wrong to open a bottle in the holding area?😂😂😂

Not at all. We like to travel with our ice bucket and champagne glasses. We get ice from the hotel before we leave. However, some Southampton terminals are better than others. There is one where there didn't seem to be seats in the waiting area, sorry I can't remember which one, but the others worked well. Bon voyage!

Disembarkation was less good. Luggage had to be out by 11pm so before the end of the show. No platinum lounge (there was for Diamond). We sat in the Lido with a coffee and self disembarked at 9.40 when they made the last call for departing passengers.

For some reason, they keep changing their minds about priority for platinum passengers. On most occasions, we have been able to wait in either Todd English (QM2) or the Commodore Club (QV/QE) been given coffee and sometimes pastries while waiting to disembark (also given an hour earlier than given to disembark).

This year, we got to wait in Todd English (now Verandah) on QM2 but not on the QE in October.