The luck of the draw - all staterooms are not the same

fantasy51

I have just returned from a cruise on QE. I booked it at the last minute (delayed because of a friend's ill-health) and ended up with a BB balcony. I thought that sounded rather good. Well, perhaps it is a good room on other levels but not on deck 5!

I was in room 5057. The first thing I found was that I could see the big orange lifeboat from the balcony and from that side of my room. Being Winter and not balcony weather, that did not worry me too much. However, I was surprised that the second top category of balcony had such an obtrusive sight.

Worse was whatever was on the other side of the corridor. I was only told that it was some machinery. Every so often we would hear a series of 'Ker-plunk' noises that would go on for 10 minutes or so. I had initially thought that people were banging their doors very late at night but then realised it was the machinery. I seemed to wake up every morning at 5am and assumed it was my sleeping tablet wearing off. Then I realised that the noises were going at that time, and whenever I'd start to drop off to sleep there would be another 'ker-plunk'. I'm sure it was no problem at all for people who sleep well, but for someone like me with a sleeping problem it meant the difference between energy and lethargy all during the cruise.

I was surprised at how much noise I could hear through the stateroom doors. My last two cruises have been on Celebrity and I now realise my rooms there were quieter than the Cunard ones.

It's still not enough to make me forsake Cunard but it shows me more rooms to avoid when booking in future.

I'm sorry that your experience was marred by such a crappy cabin location. I think the key here is late booking. Every ship has cabins that nobody wants for one reason for another: Noise, problematic plumbing, location, etc. TAs won't book them nor will knowledgeable passengers. Late bookers get these "leftovers". I hope you at least had some consolation in getting a lower price by having to wait.

The best you can do now is to write a review for this cabin as a service to future passengers. Hope you do much better in the future.

We have been on QE twice this year and both times have obstructed views but we know this as we book a a guaranteed cabin with obstructed view. We do this because we get a good price you pays your money and takes your chance.

Thank you for your kind words, Blue Riband. The price was okay but not great.

Is there a place here where we can review staterooms? On the Celebrity boards, someone curates a spreadsheet where people can post comments about every room. It is very interesting when booking specific rooms.

Diane

Yes, go to the top of this page "Reviews" > "Cabin Reviews". I think this is part of the overall sailing review where one is asked to rate and remark on their cabin. Not a whole lot of Cunard reviews - but then those who have a bad experience are more inclined to vent than those who enjoyed their voyage.

Looking at a deck plan, it appears that the lifeboats block Deck 4 cabins but Deck 5 cabins should be above the lifeboats.

How far up does the top of the lifeboat extend? You say you could "see" the lifeboat but from your displeasure it sounds like they obstructed your view at least somewhat. Could you see the horizon while seated? While standing?

I have just returned from a cruise on QE. I booked it at the last minute (delayed because of a friend's ill-health) and ended up with a BB balcony. I thought that sounded rather good. Well, perhaps it is a good room on other levels but not on deck 5!

I was in room 5057. The first thing I found was that I could see the big orange lifeboat from the balcony and from that side of my room. Being Winter and not balcony weather, that did not worry me too much. However, I was surprised that the second top category of balcony had such an obtrusive sight.

5057 is not advertised as an obstructed view and if you check out the Cunard website you can see the top of the lifeboat concerned from the window of 4057 below so I am surprised at the level of disappointment - after all the Queens Grill Q5's on the QM2 are in a similar position in relation to the lifeboats.

Here's a photo taken from my balcony. It's impossible to look out of the window without seeing the lifeboat. One adjusts; it just struck me as strange that this was considered to be a premium balcony! As someone who enjoys looking at the sea and the waves, I was aware that I could not look straight down to see them.

Actually, it was the machinery noise that was more of a problem!

1690616696_balconyview.jpg.31aa3c286930f6aad94922bcc8b4b15f.jpg

Edited by fantasy51
To get photo correct way up!

But any stateroom above the promenade deck precludes being able to look straight down and see the waves. That's one reason I like a sheltered balcony (decks 4/5/6, below promenade deck 7) on QM2, because you can see the waves straight down unlike any of the more premium staterooms above Deck 8.

Edited by Underwatr

They are premium because of their midship location.

If you want to be able to look straight down to the waves you need to choose fore or aft.

I always use ear plugs in a hotel or onboard ship. Deck 8 on QE was the noisiest location we have ever had.

5057 is not advertised as an obstructed view and if you check out the Cunard website you can see the top of the lifeboat concerned from the window of 4057 below so I am surprised at the level of disappointment - after all the Queens Grill Q5's on the QM2 are in a similar position in relation to the lifeboats.

I am sorry but I disagree. Common sense tells me that the very moment I do not have a clear sight to the sea, the view is obstructed, no matter whether it's a lifeboat, machinery, spare parts or anything else that reduces the sight.

It is funny that in-hull cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6 on QM2 are now marked to have obstructed views :confused:. No matter what they are called, I prefer them.

I am sorry but I disagree. Common sense tells me that the very moment I do not have a clear sight to the sea, the view is obstructed, no matter whether it's a lifeboat, machinery, spare parts or anything else that reduces the sight.

It is funny that in-hull cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6 on QM2 are now marked to have obstructed views :confused:. No matter what they are called, I prefer them.

Sorry too, (on your "common sense" basis the majority of Queens Grill suites on QM2 (deck 9) are obstructed view!!??) - but which in hull/sheltered Britannia cabins are designated obstructed view?. I thought all obstructed view on QM2 were on deck 8.

Sorry too, (on your "common sense" basis the majority of Queens Grill suites on QM2 (deck 9) are obstructed view!!??) - but which in hull/sheltered Britannia cabins are designated obstructed view?. I thought all obstructed view on QM2 were on deck 8.

I do not know the QG suites on deck 9 of QM2; I am very happy with the in-hull cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6 and always take them. It is only since 1 or 2 years that Cunard describes them as being obstructed.

I do not know the QG suites on deck 9 of QM2; I am very happy with the in-hull cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6 and always take them. It is only since 1 or 2 years that Cunard describes them as being obstructed.

I have not seen these balcony cabins described as obstructed just as sheltered.

The obstructed views on QM2 are on Deck 8, photographs are shown on the Cunard website.

Edited by Host Hattie

I have not seen these balcony cabins described as obstructed just as sheltered.

The obstructed views on QM2 are on Deck 8, photographs are shown on the Cunard website.

Two collaborators of my TA have given this information in a booking confirmation. The latest one even sent me a photo of the sheltered balcony, because I was surprised as well, and described it as being obstructed.

I am sorry but I disagree. Common sense tells me that the very moment I do not have a clear sight to the sea, the view is obstructed, no matter wh ether it's a lifeboat, machinery, spare parts or anything else that reduces the sight.

a) I can see the horizon in your photo. I think that's a key factor in defining obstruction.

b) By your criteria, any higher deck would suffer the same "obstruction" as you experienced on Deck 5

Please help me see where Cunard defines an in-hull sheltered balcony as obstructed.

Please help me see where Cunard defines an in-hull sheltered balcony as obstructed.

I would love to help you, but the quotes (flash sales) and a confirmation, which I think it was in 2015, have all expired, so they are not visible anymore. You just have to trust my words.

a) I can see the horizon in your photo. I think that's a key factor in defining obstruction.

b) By your criteria, any higher deck would suffer the same "obstruction" as you experienced on Deck 5

This message is not for me :confused:.

Two collaborators of my TA have given this information in a booking confirmation. The latest one even sent me a photo of the sheltered balcony, because I was surprised as well, and described it as being obstructed.

I think this might have been a mistake by your TA, Cunard don't describe these as obstructed cabins.

Thank you for your kind words, Blue Riband. The price was okay but not great.

Is there a place here where we can review staterooms? On the Celebrity boards, someone curates a spreadsheet where people can post comments about every room. It is very interesting when booking specific rooms.

Diane

If somebody wants to set up the spreadsheet and keep it updated I am happy to make it a sticky if it would help.

I think this might have been a mistake by your TA, Cunard don't describe these as obstructed cabins.

I think so, too, but both of the agents, independently from one another (one had already left) referred to Cunard in 2015 and 2016. Must be a mistake of the owner. Apart from that, I have always been very pleased with their service.

Obstructed or not, I like the in-hull cabins! :)

Cunard doesn't list QE 5057 as an obstructed view as listed here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/qe_obs

Some on deck 5 are described as showing safety equipment "through the balcony glass." If one clicks on the stateroom number it popups an image of the respective view.

The image posted by the OP shows the lifeboat below the cabin. Yes, it can be seen but unless it's horizontal with the deck they won't call it obstructed. But if the OP booked a late guarantee, it's a moot point because he didn't get a choice in the matter anyway.

Edited by BlueRiband

The OP could have paid the full Cunard Fare (which is always available to book) and actually chosen room 5057 not knowing about the lifeboats.

But I agree with others that it is not considered a restricted view cabin.