Cunard coach service from london to southampton

Jaddy

We will be on the 9/20 QM2 crossing. First time on Cunard or in London. Cunard has a coach service from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. $50pp. The catch is that Cunard says we need to be at VCS between 10 and 11am, but that the coach doesn't leave until 12:30pm (unless there are sufficient passengers to run multiple buses). The problem is that we don't fancy hanging around the station for a minimum one and half hours. Should we pass up the Cunard transfer and take the train from Waterloo Station? We will be staying near Westminster Abby and it looks like VCS is a lot closer than Waterloo Station. And yes, we understand that we will need to take a cab to either starting location.

What do you recommend?

Thank you for your help. This message board has been of great help to us with our planning. It is a great resource.

We will be on the 9/20 QM2 crossing. First time on Cunard or in London. Cunard has a coach service from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton. $50pp. The catch is that Cunard says we need to be at VCS between 10 and 11am, but that the coach doesn't leave until 12:30pm (unless there are sufficient passengers to run multiple buses). The problem is that we don't fancy hanging around the station for a minimum one and half hours. Should we pass up the Cunard transfer and take the train from Waterloo Station? We will be staying near Westminster Abby and it looks like VCS is a lot closer than Waterloo Station. And yes, we understand that we will need to take a cab to either starting location.

What do you recommend?

Thank you for your help. This message board has been of great help to us with our planning. It is a great resource.

Westminster Abbey to Victoria Coach Station is 1.4 miles

Westminster Abbey to Waterloo Railway Station is 0.9 miles

Coach from Victoria is about £10 per person to Southampton Coach Station Journey Time being 2hrs 10min

Train London Waterloo South West Trains to Southampton Central journey time 1hr 24mins cost around £39.40 per person.

Using the Cunard coach, should it break down then the ship should wait ! No cab needed to get to ship.

Cab to Berth 46 from Railway or Coach Station will be the same.

Edited by Pennbank

While there are cheaper ways and faster ways to get from London to the ship, for a first timer I would highly recommend taking the Cunard coach service from Victoria Coach Station. It is always best to be able to board the ship relaxed rather than risk being in panic mode if everything doesn't go according to schedule.

If you take the train from Waterloo to Southampton, you have to manage your own luggage on and off the train and you still have to take a taxi to get to the ship. Once on the train, there may be or may not be a place to stow your luggage. We took the train from Southampton Central to Waterloo station last year (since our Westminster hotel was within a reasonable walking distance). Even though the train was faster than the Cunard coach, I doubt if we will do it that wayin the future.

Bob

I was looking at alternatives for our crossing in May, and it looks like we can hire a car for less than the Cunard fare. I'm hoping to add a stop in Salisbury and Stonehenge on the way (I can pre-purchase visitor center passes online myself if needed).

While anecdotal reports indicated this could be very economical and much more convenient, Smiths and Blackberry (to name 2 car services I'm familiar with) are unwilling to quote prices more than six months out.

I'm hoping this will work for us (We're willing to sacrifice some pre-work and risk for a much more convenient, and possibly cheaper alternative)

It certainly might be something for you to consider.

Advice from others who have hired a car would be helpful as well.

What do you recommend?

We are on the same crossing as you and are also first-timers on the QM2 [although I've been to London several times]!! We looked at both the National Express coach and the train and decided to go with National Express as it was about 1/4 of the price and only around 30-45 min longer. We are on the 9.30am departure from Victoria to get to So'ton at 11.45 but I believe they run just about every hour. We figured it would be best to get an early coach just in case something happens and we can find something to do in Southampton if we cannot check in right away.

Enjoy your first time in London. It's such a fabulous city. We are only spending 4 days pre-crossing there but one could easily spend a couple weeks and not be bored. See you on Mary!

We have taken the train from Waterloo to Southampton for several crossings. In our opinion, it is easy, economical and timely.

There are two kinds of trains running--the "commuter" which makes more stops and the other, which is quicker.

Information about the train departure times is readily available. The station is easy to maneuver.

As long as you can pull a wheeled suitcase through the station, I can't think of any reason not to take the train.

Taxi from Southampton depot to the cruise terminal is about 10 pounds. Taxi drivers in UK are wonderfully helpful and communicate cheerfully. We have met other pre-crossing people on the train (seeing each other's luggage tags) and shared a taxi for 1/2 the cost.

We purchased a Megatrain ticket online before our last (2014) crossing, which was about 20 pounds for the two of us <!!!!> but we had to take a specific train and sit (I believe) in a specific car. This involved printing our own ticket (which DH had trouble believing was valid, but the conductor accepted without question). (I think cheap-cheap fares might need to be purchased well in advance???)

Whatever mode of transport you end up choosing, have a wonderful crossing!

Jimmybean

Edited by jimmybean

• 3 months later...
We have taken the train from Waterloo to Southampton for several crossings. In our opinion, it is easy, economical and timely.

There are two kinds of trains running--the "commuter" which makes more stops and the other, which is quicker.

Information about the train departure times is readily available. The station is easy to maneuver.

As long as you can pull a wheeled suitcase through the station, I can't think of any reason not to take the train.

Taxi from Southampton depot to the cruise terminal is about 10 pounds. Taxi drivers in UK are wonderfully helpful and communicate cheerfully. We have met other pre-crossing people on the train (seeing each other's luggage tags) and shared a taxi for 1/2 the cost.

We purchased a Megatrain ticket online before our last (2014) crossing, which was about 20 pounds for the two of us <!!!!> but we had to take a specific train and sit (I believe) in a specific car. This involved printing our own ticket (which DH had trouble believing was valid, but the conductor accepted without question). (I think cheap-cheap fares might need to be purchased well in advance???)

Whatever mode of transport you end up choosing, have a wonderful crossing!

Jimmybean

Thanks for all the really helpful info.

In our case, my husband has trouble walking distances AND we'll have "cruise luggage" - in our case, likely 3 large wheeled bags, a roll-aboard carryon and hand stuff. (computer etc) So each link requiring walking (and rolling) presents difficulties. So for us, door-to-door (with luggage handled) is best.

UPDATE - I thought this I was replying to a post on the roll-call so i also mistakenly thought an earlier post by me was visible. We were also interested in including a Stonehenge visit on the way. The punch line...

We decided on using a tour from International Friends which got consistently excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. (I believe they also have the same tour available under "TravelToolkit" and Viator.)

http://www.internationalfriends.co.u...tonehenge.html

Edited by MarkBearSF

A big influence on this decision is the amount of luggage you have.

The Cunard coach service is geared up for mega luggage - they need time to gather and load the luggage - a bit of waiting around but you get a door to door service.

The National Express service goes from the same station (and sometimes the same stop within the coach station). A much cheaper option. You will carry your luggage to the coach for the driver to load, they limit the amount you can take on (see website) and you'll need a cab at the other end. Cabs will be waiting at the coach station as they track the coach's progress so know when it will arrive. The cab fare is not much. You'll need to retrieve your bags and get them to the taxi point. (Obviously...) Its a short hop to the terminal. You can get a good deal if you book in advance (I think that we are paying £7 each)

Train from Waterloo. A more attractive waiting option to the coach station. Carriages can be busy on busy port days with people's luggage - pays to get on at Waterloo rather than subsequent stops. I don't think that first class is worth the money (some may disagree). Arriving in plenty of time is a good option to bag a spot next to a bit of luggage room. You might not be first off but don't stress, there'll be plenty of cabs for all. If you book in advance via megabus (yes, it DOES do trains as well as buses) you can get a good deal - though not normally on a Sunday. A short cab ride needed in Southampton

Its not far from Westminster to either Waterloo or Victoria (I work between the two). A bus or a cab is an easy option - again choice is influenced by luggage load. There is even a good bus between the two train stations (the 507).

Note - traffic will be heavy on busy port days no matter which mode of transport you use. Don't stress.

Which hotel are you staying at near Westminster?

Advice from others who have hired a car would be helpful as well.

If the most important thing is cheap prices, then the bus wins.

If you'd prefer a little comfort, then take a limo.

We have used http://www.tmr-executive-cars.co.uk/ at least 10 times.

They run Merc S Class limos and the cost is £150 from Central London to to the docks, and the same on the return. That actually works out cheaper than 2 x 1st Class rail tickets & taxis at each end, with no need to haul luggage around. Very comfortable and relaxing.

Stewart

Do they still have the Orient Express train from Victoria to Southampton?

Okay, when I took it, it was not cheap! However, one heck of a ride, and a great lunch!

Sadly, I believe not. I think the Boat Train Pullman hasn't run for around a decade now.

There is still rail access to alongside the QEII Terminal (but not direct to the Ocean Terminal); the platform is still there (the track alongside is a little cluttered, but could be cleared), but no passenger trains as far as I know.

(If I'm mistaken about any of this, I apologise now).

Edited by pepperrn

Sadly, I believe not. I think the Boat Train Pullman hasn't run for around a decade now.

There is still rail access to alongside the QEII Terminal (but not direct to the Ocean Terminal); the platform is still there (the track alongside is a little cluttered, but could be cleared), but no passenger trains as far as I know.

(If I'm mistaken about any of this, I apologise now).

A southern based TA ran chartered trains a few years go. I think, 2009 & 2010.

From all reports, it was a shambles. It started in Glasgow and Edinburgh and made various stops en route. They used old rolling stock, pulled by diesel engines at a slow speed, making the journey, end to end, almost 12 hours.

On more than one occasion the engines broke down. One time they had to hold back the QV as the train was running 4 hours late and there was over 400 pax on board.

As you state, it doesn't run now.

Stewart

I usually only have a large roller case and a shoulder bag so I prefer the 10:35 fast train from Waterloo which gets me to Southampton very quickly and comfortably. The rear carriages are the closest to the exit and the taxi rank.

But with all the baggage you will have I’d take the Cunard transfer. Once your luggage goes on the coach you don’t deal with it again until it’s in you stateroom.

Given your situation I’d do that.:)

• Like 1

Southern railways runs the slower cheaper trains but not direct on Sundays (not sure about Saturdays). We have done it on fast trains (Waterloo), slow trains (Victoria) and by National Express. VCS is not the sort of place you would want to hang about in. Busy and crowded. There are small eateries and seats. People moving around all the time. We have usually only spent 30 minutes there. For me I would go with the National Express coach rather than Cunard coach. When you get off the coach, after reclaiming your bags which the driver lifts off, it is only a short few steps to where taxis pull up and the possibility of a share makes it cheaper. If you are less mobile Cunard coach might be better option. Tickets bought in advance (online) are often cheaper. Good luck.

Late to the party here, Jeddy, but for travel from London to Southampton to board a Cunard ship, especially for the first time, let me vote for the Cunard Connection. I've done it three times in the past twelve months, wouldn't have it any other way unless being taken down by private car.

Up-thread some focus seems on economy. Yes, you can "save" by going to Southampton on a local or express train or bus/coach but at either end you must wrestle with taxis, luggage, proper ticketing and crowds. Why the bother? On holiday I don't like to work hard and the Connection is so easy to do. At VCS you just sit and relax, boarding will begin near 11 am. I don't think your question was about economy, but about time. Not to worry. You really aren't in the bus station a long time.. Enjoy a breakfast, take an easy taxi ride from near Westminster Abbey to VCS, do it circa 9:30 am.

As with any "program" organization is key. Cunard's is that X-number of people book the Connection, so at 10 am the morning of departure at Victoria Coach Station, most always Gate One, two Cunard ladies appear and begin to process the trip. They check off your name when present, check that baggage is properly tagged, and if not, make it so They issue color-coded boarding cards . The ladies are quite attentive; luggage is taken and boarded and the next time you see it is in your stateroom on board! The trip down takes two hours. Boarding will begin at 11 am, bus one will be off by 11:30 and you'll be at Ocean Terminal by 1:30. Each coach has a bathroom and is boarded under-capacity to afford extra room for carry-ons and customer comfort. Multiple busses run as needed.

Some passengers will go to the station early hoping to be on the first bus out. Your call. But nothing begins until 10 am. Arriving VCS you will see other luggage with Cunard tags, people recognizing one another from other trips. It can be quite convivial and all is done for you without hassle. Arriving Ocean Terminal in Southampton, there's that exciting moment when you first glimpse the ship … off the coach, no luggage hassles, up the escalator, and your adventure begins!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

All good advice.

I have a question if anyone can help me. We are staying in London (our hotel is near Westminster Abbey) for a couple of days prior to our upcoming TA. Our plane lands at Heathrow at 7:30am. Since it will be rush hour, I was thinking it might be more efficient to take the Heathrow express from Heathrow to Paddington station and then take a taxi, versus just taking a taxi the whole way. Would that make sense or not?

All good advice.

I have a question if anyone can help me. We are staying in London (our hotel is near Westminster Abbey) for a couple of days prior to our upcoming TA. Our plane lands at Heathrow at 7:30am. Since it will be rush hour, I was thinking it might be more efficient to take the Heathrow express from Heathrow to Paddington station and then take a taxi, versus just taking a taxi the whole way. Would that make sense or not?

You could just take the underground from Heathrow to Westminster station? Avoids all traffic -- and the taxi ride would be short, fast and cheap to your hotel. Just a thought.....

You could just take the underground from Heathrow to Westminster station? Avoids all traffic -- and the taxi ride would be short, fast and cheap to your hotel. Just a thought.....

It depends how much luggage you have, the Heathrow Express is easy to negotiate with luggage, the underground more difficult.

I would stick to the Heathrow Express followed by taxi plan.

To expand on the tube option take the Piccadilly line Heathrow to Hammersmith then the District line to Westminster. It's just a cross platform change at Hammersmith and from memory there is step free access to the street level at Westminster.

While HEX to Paddington would be much quicker, around 15mins, the taxi queue at Paddington can be a challenge on a weekday. You could take HEX to Paddington and if the taxi queue is awful the alternative would be the Circle line from Paddington to Westminster via Victoria.

M-AR

I can echo what Ab Ovo has said about the Cunard bus to Southampton.

We have used the Cunard bus from Victoria Bus Station to the Southampton for 2 westbound crossings.

Very efficient.

We go early so we can be on the first bus out.

The bus is comfortable and luggage is taken care of for you.

You pull right into the cruise terminal in Southampton and begin your process of checking in to the ship.

Best part you do not have to worry about missing the ship if something happens with the traffic, bus, etc or having to give directions where the cab is to take you in Southampton.

Once we are on the bus, we just relax because our Queen Mary 2 adventure has begun.