On Board Credit - UK Passengers

FormbyLife

Going on our first ever cruise this weekend (for our honeymoon) and were getting dismayed at the dropping exchange rate (and hence extra cost to everything for us poor Brits).

HOWEVER, we have just bought OBC at more than $1.53/£ (current tourist rate is about $1.25/£)!!!!

So any other Brits who are travelling soon, I suggest you purchase as much OBC as you'll need!

Top Tip - My credit card is now lighter to the tune of £1035, but for that I've gained $600 OBC on top of the $850 I already had and 18 bottles of the Commodores wine package for $995 at an exchange rate of 1.539636693481011 - I'm a very happy bunny as I was getting a bit worried how much my spending money was going to come to given the cable rate at the moment

Thank you very much for that - You've saved me over £200 at today's interbank rate of 1.29

Now lets see how the rate changes before we depart on 7th Oct - knowing my luck it'll be back up at $2 to the pound by then :)

It's the standard telephone number - +44(0) 8433740000

Edited by rakkor

Top Tip - My credit card is now lighter to the tune of £1035, but for that I've gained $600 OBC on top of the $850 I already had and 18 bottles of the Commodores wine package for $995 at an exchange rate of 1.539636693481011 - I'm a very happy bunny as I was getting a bit worried how much my spending money was going to come to given the cable rate at the moment

Thank you very much for that - You've saved me over £200 at today's interbank rate of 1.29

Now lets see how the rate changes before we depart on 7th Oct - knowing my luck it'll be back up at $2 to the pound by then :)

It's the standard telephone number - +44(0) 8433740000

Does this attract interest as a cash advance on your CC? Don't ever pay that!

Just been on phone to Cunard for 15 mins - they only say that if I buy OBC today with debit/credit card I'll be given today's rate offered by my card provider!!! Which is likely to be 1.23?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would assume not as the purchase I made was for both the wine packages and OBC, and I don't see how there would be a distinction between the two - Also I think this was covered in a previous thread regarding buying dollars on board

Also I'd like to re-iterate I got 1.53 for both the OBC and the wine packages, and assuming the exchange rate doesn't recover any time soon, this is a huge saving.

I know people aren't enamored by wine packages, but in our case we will have a bottle of wine with dinner and the fact that by buying the package I save the 15% gratuity, a few dollars per bottle and now about 15% on currency speculation it just makes so much sense to buy the package up front.

I'm a happy chap :)

Just been on phone to Cunard for 15 mins - they only say that if I buy OBC today with debit/credit card I'll be given today's rate offered by my card provider!!! Which is likely to be 1.23?

When I called I asked how much $100 OBC cost and she said £64.xx, if I was buying it at the current rate I'd be paying £77.63 for $100

so out with the calculator and the exchange rate is as stated - maybe you need to ask differently or they we assuming you'd be charged in dollars rather than pounds?

With the power of the internet I've just checked my credit card statement and there's a pending transaction from Cunard for 1035.96

So 1595/1035.96 =1.539634734931851

So I can confirm it's good

Whatever you buy should be charged in £.

.....and dinner reservations.

But I assume that once I am on board I can charge things like that to my account and so get the advantage there?

And don't forget that you do not get a refund of any unspent $$

Hi Caravan 37 I had the same answer yesterday, So I did not buy any.

So when you called today how did you get the good exchange rate 1.53?

Confused

Thanks Pam

When I called I asked how much $100 OBC cost and she said £64.xx, if I was buying it at the current rate I'd be paying £77.63 for $100

so out with the calculator and the exchange rate is as stated - maybe you need to ask differently or they we assuming you'd be charged in dollars rather than pounds?

I'll re-iterate my earlier reply - I specifically asked how much $100 would cost and was answered £64 - it was never suggested that I paid for the OBC in dollars when I was on the phone

Maybe you just need to hang up and try another rep if you don't get any joy with the first one

Edited by rakkor

Hi pmqua1 - I did as rakkor suggested and asked how much $100 would cost in £ - the answer was £64

Also I seemed to have someone today who knew what they were doing - not true of yesterday's 'expert' from Cunard!

Try and try again - good luck!

Well I don't know how you did it, again I have just been on to Cunard for 20 mins on 08433740000 number .I asked how much would $100 OBC and pay in £.

They told me they do not take payment in £'s.

They told me they only accept payment in $ and my Debit/Credit card will be set the exchange rate? [emoji848]

Even the rep called over and spoke to a supervisor. [emoji35]

So I have given up....and it will be what it will be and enjoy my cruise....hoping the £ will increase over the next few months[emoji51]

Thanks all for taking the time out to try and save me money x

I wonder if you cannot do this if booked through a US TA? When I phone that number I get a different option. Also when I check the VP I have to phone a US number.

I did try the UK one but gave up after 20 minutes on hold!

As to £/$ looks like the only way is down....stupid BXX#XX

On the plus side have just noticed that I have pre-paid gratuities on both of my booking confirmations so a bit of a saving I had not budgeted for.

I may well do in a few days, so frustrated at the moment BP gone through the roof [emoji51]

We have never paid in £ at the end of a cruise, they always take payment in $ and get our CC issuer to convert at the current exchange rate, also we are not charged a non sterling transaction fee on this particular CC. So that helps [emoji3]

Thanks again