PG versus QG dining post refit

RevCo0219

I'm reading different things about post refit dining.

I've historically preferred PG dining room to QG (less tables, just about same menu) but now am reading PG menu downgrade?

The left side always available rack of lamb, chateau etc not there any more?

If not, is there a bigger difference to QG now?

I'm booked PG 11/19 but would upgrade if menu inPG is closer to Brittania now.

Help! (Honeymoon so important!)

I posted the new PG a la carte menus from July and August 2016 here earlier, so you have to judge for yourself. For all I know the menu may have changed again. As of August, they were hastily restoring some of the items they removed owing to presumably unfavorable reception of the menu changes (deletions). To me it seemed like a case of Cunard seeing what they could get away with removing from the menu; the excuse being offered that PG Grill needed a much lighter and refreshed menu but "light" meaning less choices on the a la carte side. So best to get an update from someone who has been in PG this month and see if they can photograph and upload the a la carte menu with their smart phone.

There are less items on the a la Carte PG menu than there used to be. However, there is 1 fish dish, 1 fillet steak dish and one chicken dish plus 2 dishes that can be ordered in advance for two or three people - chateaubriand or duck a l'orange. I was told that rack of lamb was also being reinstated to the a la Carte menu when the ship was recently in Southampton.

There were a couple of starters also listed on the a la carte but I can't find my photo and I can't remember what they were but I'm fairly certain one of them involved prawns.

The thing we did notice was that items that were previously on the a la carte menu sometimes came up on the normal menu. For example, chateaubriand was on the normal menu right at the start of the cruise and again at the end. This was for one person and obviously did not have to be ordered in advance. The 'menu' version arrived, cooked to your liking, plated. The a la Carte version was served by the Maitre d', table side. Otherwise, they were identical. The same thing happened with the rack of lamb. We ordered it (off menu because at that point it wasn't on), and it was served table side, but it appeared on the normal menu a few days later. Dover sole used to be on the a la Carte but now appears on the normal menu, poached but not grilled.

There's no doubt that the extensive a la Carte menu of old has disappeared. There are no longer 10 starters and there were no a la Carte desserts at all but you could order crepes suzette and it was prepared by the Maitre d'. We also saw the Maitre d' preparing a fancy banana dish, flambéd which we were told has never been on any menu. So asking for items 'off menu' is obviously still being accommodated.

We were advised to use our voyage questionnaire to comment about the menus as so far, several items had been reinstated following the radical changes.

Perhaps someone who has recently travelled in QG can enlighten you about the new menus in there to give you a comparison.

Appreciate the information - thank you both.

Sounds like what you said, they tried to take it down a level and were met with immediate resistance and quickly brought it back. Not a good look to be touting a refit to have it in reality be a downgrading of the dining room that's at the heart of the experience for many.

I'm going to stay with PG for now and hope I'll be able to have the rack at least twice during the week. I'm also hoping they'll do a crumble at least twice in the week too for a sweet, but we'll see.

Thanks, again.

:)

Just want to mention: don't expect any miracles in Queens Grill -- in QG, the change is also substantial. On a 2-week QE cruise in August, we had a much reduced a la carte menu with no desserts. Vegetable choices NEVER appeared on any menu. No QG staff encouraged us to order off menu. Menu items were repeated frequently, sometimes on consecutive days. And many times, the food quality or preparation was mediocre at best. Even the little after-dinner sweets were fewer and boring (a lot of mini-madeline cookies). It was a radically different experience than we enjoyed in QG on a QE cruise in Nov. 2014. In fact, it was completely different than any of the previous dozen QG voyages we have taken.

I double-checked . . . we received no fare reduction to compensate for the change in food service. I think it's time to reconsider our 2017 reservation . . .

Just want to mention: don't expect any miracles in Queens Grill -- in QG, the change is also substantial. On a 2-week QE cruise in August, we had a much reduced a la carte menu with no desserts. Vegetable choices NEVER appeared on any menu. No QG staff encouraged us to order off menu. Menu items were repeated frequently, sometimes on consecutive days. And many times, the food quality or preparation was mediocre at best. Even the little after-dinner sweets were fewer and boring (a lot of mini-madeline cookies). It was a radically different experience than we enjoyed in QG on a QE cruise in Nov. 2014. In fact, it was completely different than any of the previous dozen QG voyages we have taken.

I double-checked . . . we received no fare reduction to compensate for the change in food service. I think it's time to reconsider our 2017 reservation . . .

That's depressing to hear just as l've committed to a QE cruise later this year, venturing away from my preferred QM2.

What I can say from a post remastering crossing is that the a la carte menu is greatly reduced on QM2 but the effect of that was more than compensated for by their willingness to prepare off menu items for us. A lot of effort went into pleasing us which was hugely appreciated so it will be a big disappointment if that is not replicated on QE. I expect the tone will be set by the Maître D' and head waiters so here's hoping they are pliable.

Food is very subjective l know but l was consistently happy with what was placed in front of me morning, noon and night.

M-AR

We were in Princess immediately after the re-fit, our first time in PG. We were quite happy with the food quality and variety and found it quite a step above Britannia or Britannia Club. I called it cruise ship food prepared at a very elevated level. But I do recognize that veteran PG cruisers would have a different take than a newbie to PG like me.

That's depressing to hear just as l've committed to a QE cruise later this year, venturing away from my preferred QM2.

What I can say from a post remastering crossing is that the a la carte menu is greatly reduced on QM2 but the effect of that was more than compensated for by their willingness to prepare off menu items for us. A lot of effort went into pleasing us which was hugely appreciated so it will be a big disappointment if that is not replicated on QE. I expect the tone will be set by the Maître D' and head waiters so here's hoping they are pliable.

Food is very subjective l know but l was consistently happy with what was placed in front of me morning, noon and night.

M-AR

We cruised on QE in July and were a little surprised at the much reduced a la carte and the change in the main menu. I can't say we were actively encouraged to order off the menu but neither were we discouraged and as veteran QG'ers we know it's available. I ordered 'off' at least once a day and that order was taken with willingness and the courtesy we have always experienced. Table side preparations were their usual excellent quality.

Knowing these facilities still exist, I don't think you'll be disappointed. We certainly weren't once over the surprise and yes, slight initial disappointment.

We cruised on QE in July and were a little surprised at the much reduced a la carte and the change in the main menu. I can't say we were actively encouraged to order off the menu but neither were we discouraged and as veteran QG'ers we know it's available. I ordered 'off' at least once a day and that order was taken with willingness and the courtesy we have always experienced. Table side preparations were their usual excellent quality.

Knowing these facilities still exist, I don't think you'll be disappointed. We certainly weren't once over the surprise and yes, slight initial disappointment.

Thank you for detailing your recent experience, it sounds like a polite request will result in a positive outcome which is encouraging even if the printed menu is diminished to a disappointing level. I appreciate your feedback and reassurance.

M-AR

I also cannot fault the staff in the PG service wise. However, not everyone necessarily gets the same extras. Just like seating assignments in the PG, there is some sort of hierarchy and it you do not chat up the waiers and maitres so they remember you then and on later cruises, you may not be encouraged to order the off menu items like crepes or rack of lamb. Quid pro quo, which some people I suppose really do not like when they feel they are already paying through the nose.

I also cannot fault the staff in the PG service wise. However, not everyone necessarily gets the same extras. Just like seating assignments in the PG, there is some sort of hierarchy and it you do not chat up the waiers and maitres so they remember you then and on later cruises, you may not be encouraged to order the off menu items like crepes or rack of lamb. Quid pro quo, which some people I suppose really do not like when they feel they are already paying through the nose.

This is an interesting comment. Please would you mind explaining it a little more as I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Did you see this happening or is that what happened to you?

This is an interesting comment. Please would you mind explaining it a little more as I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Did you see this happening or is that what happened to you?

I have always had spectacular service in the Grills but I do note that here and there people complain that they were ignored and not offered the off menu delights. Additionally, it was explained here, that seating in the grills is not random and that more desirable tables are allocated on some sort of ranking basis.

That's pretty lame if Rack of Lamb is not on the Al a Carte menu in the Grills.

I have always had spectacular service in the Grills but I do note that here and there people complain that they were ignored and not offered the off menu delights. Additionally, it was explained here, that seating in the grills is not random and that more desirable tables are allocated on some sort of ranking basis.

We find that politeness to the staff goes a long way in getting better service. We noticed some complainers(you could hear them 20 ft. away)were only getting basic service & sorry, that's all I'd give them as well. Staff are there to take care of you, but not slave for you! I wish more pax would understand that.

A most delicate subject to discuss but since it has been broached -- Staff that has worked a long time in what is considered an upscale facility be it a restaurant, retail shop, hotel etc. develop a sixth sense of who "belongs" and who is just coming along for the ride so to speak. The belonging has nothing to do with money fame or frequent attendance. Those that have "it" have "it and those that don't, don't get the special service.

A most delicate subject to discuss but since it has been broached -- Staff that has worked a long time in what is considered an upscale facility be it a restaurant, retail shop, hotel etc. develop a sixth sense of who "belongs" and who is just coming along for the ride so to speak. The belonging has nothing to do with money fame or frequent attendance. Those that have "it" have "it and those that don't, don't get the special service.

What??

The off menu thing is a bit odd really isn't it? It's a nice thing to do I guess but at the same time it means that people have to 'think up' their own menu, which I'm not keen on. A couple of times, I asked our waiter 'what are they having over there?' when you can see the maitre d' doing his table side performance elsewhere.

I haven't seen the posts about seating in the grills but I find this theory hard to believe as I have personally sat at a few beautiful tables and have been told it's to do with when you book. The best tables are allocated on a first come/first served basis. In my experience, this has been the case. The later we book, the 'poorer' our seat.

On our recent trip, there was a group of four sat near us who complained about the position and their table shape (I'm not making this up). The maitre d listened and nodded and said he would do his best etc., but they never got moved and their table shape never changed;)

I doubt there is much difference in Princess Grill because, of course, all staterooms are the same size and the only fare difference between P1 and P2 is based only on location. Our first crossing in PG was an upgrade and we were allocated an excellent table.

Because of the vast difference in Queen's suites in size and, naturally, in fares there is more likely to be advantages given to some passengers over others. We have met some people in Q4 and above and they said they got priority seating if they wished it. There was no doubt that some people were fussed over more than others (from overheard conversations they were very frequent travellers) but we never felt we received substandard service in an way.

We are fairly "low maintenance" and not too fussy about our table location. We didn't feel we were given any less attention because we were in basic QG accommodation. As with our first time in PG, our first time in QG was an upgrade and we were assigned to an excellent large table. The second time in QG was on a special fare (one of those where you pay PG and get QG) and again we were seated at a large table in a desirable location and received service that could not be faulted.

We sailed many times on P&O Arcadia, and so got to know the waiters and Maitre' D's quite well. On the maiden cruise we got a table for two which we loved, and had it every time we cruised on Arcadia. We did request the table when we booked, and always tipped the Maitre' D at the end of a cruise.

We even had waiters who had never actually served us commenting 'here you are again'! I am sure they all get to know their regular customers, whatever the reason!