Carnival $40M fine

Jack E Dawson

It is against Princess not Carnival Corp. Princess will have the $40 M as a write off against earnings.

CCL owns Princess, so if they had to dig deep (they don't) conceivably they would tighten the belt everywhere.

But look at it this way. CCL also owns Costa, and the Costa Concordia was a much bigger deal than this.

And it seems this is not the first time http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5177

Not really the same issue. They accidentally dumped water into Glacier Bay.

They reported it.

The current fine is for a period of about 8 years .They also tried to cover it up. The whistler blower should be also looked at. He might of had issue of his treatment by Princess . He shouldn't get 10% of the fine for reporting.

"The whistler blower should be also looked at. He might of had issue of his treatment by Princess . He shouldn't get 10% of the fine for reporting."

I completely disagree. Whether the whistleblower had an issue with his employer or not, the cruise line committed the offence and must be punished. His/her reward is well deserved, considering the risk of retaliation by the company.

I think the question we should be asking is how widespread through the industry is this practice. If the big guys are doing it what about the many smaller operators with smaller budgets and more to gain pro rata.

And of course, as is usual no one from the captain down knew anything about it and because it's the company who were fined no individual has been identified as far as I know.

DAVID