Snorkeling in Bermuda

JetSet2B

I learned to swim last year and would like to try snorkeling but I am admittedly nervous. Although I am comfortable in the water, in deeper water I sometimes feel like I don't have control to go in the direction I want to swim in. So my thoughts are to go snorkeling in a shallow area, wear swim fins (these help me to feel like I have better control) or not try LOL. Any thoughts? Of course my safety is my primary concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried contacting the snorkel companies in Bermuda? They could tell you where they go and typical water depths. They also all offer some sort of life jacket or noodle to help you float and feel a bit more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest your best bet is Hat Trick Charters--a small boat (max 12 people). VERY nice crew, Snorkeling is very easy--you will love it. Tell them you are worried new snorkeler. If they think you are better off elsewhere, the Reckless Native catamaran is much larger and probably has a lot of experience with new snorkelers.

Bravo for admitting your anxiety--and for facing it.

As an alternative, beautiful Horseshoe Bay has a cover to the right--shallow, lots of fish and no chance of winding up in deep water.