Ports

Tulips62

I didn't see actual arrival/departure times until I received the itinerary with my reservation confirmation.

In my case, the Columbia River, the arrivals are 6-7 AM sometimes the night before. Departures tended to be 5-6 pm.

• 3 months later...
I am thinking of doing the Memphis to New Orleans cruise in 2017. Can someone tell me how much time is spent in the ports each day

We are thinking of doing the NOLA to Memphis trip on 28 May 2017. When we contacted AQSC, they sent this info (re-formatted to make it a bit more readable)

...Date..................Port.................arrive...........Depart

May.29,.2017.NEW.ORLEANS..............................5:00PM

May.30,.2017.OAK.ALLEY................8:00AM.........1:00PM

May.31,.2017.ST..FRANCISVILLE......8:00AM.........1:00PM

June.01,.2017.NATCHEZ.................8:00AM..........5:00PM

June.02,.2017.VICKSBURG..............8:00AM.........1:00PM

June.03,.2017.......RIVER.CRUISING

June.04,.2017.HELENA....................8:00AM.........1:00PM

June.05,.2017.MEMPHIS..................5:00AM

• 2 weeks later...

Originally, I was very taken by the concept of the Hop-On/Hop-Off buses provided by AQSC. Now, after more study, I'm a bit puzzled. The extra-cost Shore Excursions described by AQSC look quite nice and relatively reasonably priced. Additionally, in ports like Oak Alley or St. Francisville, I'm unsure of what else there is to see in town. Will there be HOHOs in these little ports?

Also, in 5 of our 6 ports (excluding NOLA and Memphis on either end), we are only in port from 8:00-1:00, 5 hrs. The MQSC Excursions in those ports take 4-4.5 hrs. Not much time to also do HOHO. Am I missing something? Maybe because we're going upriver, against the current, we have less time in port and more time "paddlewheelin". Maybe the folks coming down the river have more time in port?

Here's my summary of the ports and excursions timings:

Laura….A Creole Plantation

Port: Oak Alley, LA In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00-12:30

Life in the Bayou: Cajun Swamp Tour

Port: Oak Alley, LA In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 7:45-12:15

Redemption and Rehabilitation at Angola Prison

Port: St. Francisville, LA In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00-Noon

The Story of Cotton in the Antebellum South

Port: Natchez, MS In-Port 8:00-5:00 Tour Timing: 12:30–4:45

Entertaining in Southern Style with Ginger Hyland

Port: Natchez, MS In-Port 8:00-5:00 Tour Timing: 1:30-4:00

On the Front Lines of the Civil War

Port: Vicksburg, MS In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00–12:30

Mississippi Delta Gospel and the Birthplace of the Blues

Port: Helena, AR In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00–12:45

Anyway, looking for input from those who have taken this cruise.

Gary

I can't help you with Helena, as I have never been there, but as far as Oak Alley and St. Francisville I have numerous times.

HOHO is not offered at Oak Alley. It is a beautiful plantation home with the associated gardens and displays. It's a lovely stroll from the steamboat to the house under a canopy of over 200 year old live oaks. Also a short walk down-river on top of the levee will take you to St. Joseph Plantation where the famous architect Richardson lived. His name is fore ever linked with Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. (This house is not included with any tour offered by AQSC)

St. Francisville is a beautiful Louisiana town and the HOHO is offered. In fact, it would be quite a hike to get from the old ferry landing where the AQ lands into town. Once again there is enough there to keep you busy. If you haven't been there before, take the HOHO and save your money for your next steamboat trip, perhaps on the Upper Mississippi or Ohio Rivers.

I can't help you with Helena, as I have never been there, but as far as Oak Alley and St. Francisville I have numerous times.

HOHO is not offered at Oak Alley. It is a beautiful plantation home with the associated gardens and displays. It's a lovely stroll from the steamboat to the house under a canopy of over 200 year old live oaks. Also a short walk down-river on top of the levee will take you to St. Joseph Plantation where the famous architect Richardson lived. His name is fore ever linked with Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. (This house is not included with any tour offered by AQSC)

St. Francisville is a beautiful Louisiana town and the HOHO is offered. In fact, it would be quite a hike to get from the old ferry landing where the AQ lands into town. Once again there is enough there to keep you busy. If you haven't been there before, take the HOHO and save your money for your next steamboat trip, perhaps on the Upper Mississippi or Ohio Rivers.

Calliope, thanks for the input. However, I’m not certain what you are recommending for Oak Alley. Should we just wander around the Laura and Oak Alley Plantations? The description of the Optional excursion to those two places sounds pretty good. How about the Cajun Swamp Tour? It sounds better than some I’ve been on (even though it is scheduled to depart 15 minutes before the AQ docks ;) ).

It looks like HOHO is the way to go in St. Francisville, which was what I had decided. I’m not much for going to prison, even as a tourist.

So, does anyone have any advice about Natchez, Vicksburg or Helena?

Oh, and my apologies to Tulips62 for sort of hijacking this thread.

Gary

My husband took the premium Civil War tour at Vicksburg and greatly enjoyed it. He's a history buff.

I don't remember much about Helena except that it is clearly a town that has seen better days. Much of the downtown was empty shops.

Calliope, thanks for the input. However, I’m not certain what you are recommending for Oak Alley. Should we just wander around the Laura and Oak Alley Plantations? The description of the Optional excursion to those two places sounds pretty good. How about the Cajun Swamp Tour? It sounds better than some I’ve been on (even though it is scheduled to depart 15 minutes before the AQ docks ;) ).

It looks like HOHO is the way to go in St. Francisville, which was what I had decided. I’m not much for going to prison, even as a tourist.

So, does anyone have any advice about Natchez, Vicksburg or Helena?

Oh, and my apologies to Tulips62 for sort of hijacking this thread.

Gary

I really wasn't recommending one way or the other. I was just saying what the included walking tour of Oak Alley has to offer. I have been to Oak Alley numerous times and I enjoy returning. Honestly, I have never paid for the premium offerings while there, and don't think that I will.

The HOHO at Natchez is quite nice and includes iconic Stanton Hall and the National Park Service Visitors Center. I believe that one of the premium tours goes to unfinished and supposedly haunted Longwood. I confess that Dr. Haller Nutt's home is quite interesting and was destined to be perhaps the most magnificent home in the south. The decision is yours.

Vicksburg is another city where the HOHO gives a nice over view of the town. The historic Court House Museum is included along with the Army Corps of Engineer's former inspection boat M/V MISSISSIPPI. I believe the HOHO tour takes you to the antebellum town house Anchua along with Beiderhorn's Coca Cola Bottling Co. where Coke was first bottled. The premium tour here is one I don't think that you want to miss though. The Vicksburg Battlefield and the preserved ironclad U.S.S. CAIRO are certainly worth seeing, and are only offered with the premium tour.

• 3 months later...
Originally, I was very taken by the concept of the Hop-On/Hop-Off buses provided by AQSC. Now, after more study, I'm a bit puzzled. The extra-cost Shore Excursions described by AQSC look quite nice and relatively reasonably priced. Additionally, in ports like Oak Alley or St. Francisville, I'm unsure of what else there is to see in town. Will there be HOHOs in these little ports?

Also, in 5 of our 6 ports (excluding NOLA and Memphis on either end), we are only in port from 8:00-1:00, 5 hrs. The MQSC Excursions in those ports take 4-4.5 hrs. Not much time to also do HOHO. Am I missing something? Maybe because we're going upriver, against the current, we have less time in port and more time "paddlewheelin". Maybe the folks coming down the river have more time in port?

Here's my summary of the ports and excursions timings:

Laura….A Creole Plantation

Port: Oak Alley, LA In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00-12:30

Life in the Bayou: Cajun Swamp Tour

Port: Oak Alley, LA In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 7:45-12:15

Redemption and Rehabilitation at Angola Prison

Port: St. Francisville, LA In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00-Noon

The Story of Cotton in the Antebellum South

Port: Natchez, MS In-Port 8:00-5:00 Tour Timing: 12:30–4:45

Entertaining in Southern Style with Ginger Hyland

Port: Natchez, MS In-Port 8:00-5:00 Tour Timing: 1:30-4:00

On the Front Lines of the Civil War

Port: Vicksburg, MS In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00–12:30

Mississippi Delta Gospel and the Birthplace of the Blues

Port: Helena, AR In-Port 8:00-1:00 Tour Timing: 8:00–12:45

Anyway, looking for input from those who have taken this cruise.

Gary

We did this trip last April/may. We didn't do optional excursions in Helena...big mistake..the town is dead, ...And people raved about the music option, it was bb king on our trip. Nor did we do the prison in st. Francisville, which is a sweet town with plenty to offer on the HOHO. We loved this trip so much, that a relative booked it for September but going Memphis down to New Orleans. You get an extra stop in .Boston rouge.