Star Legend cruise shared with 100 passengers from a group

ridethetide

I forgot to mention that smoking was a bit of a problem on our recent WS cruise. It seems that no one thought there were rules about where to smoke. During the day and evening smokers were all over the star bar deck, including the lounge chairs during the day. Men smoking cigars were all over the place. Again, a reflection of the demographics of this particular cruise. There were a few people who stuck to the port side in the designated smoking area, but they were few.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would have gone right down to reception and asked to speak with the Hotel Manager about the situation. It isn't policy and should have been stopped. Actually the bar crew should have done it, and were clearly not doing their job!

Hi again. Old time WS cruiser. Doing July 18th BCN-FCO and very excited. Asked TA about finding any group on this trip and he said WS would not confirm nor deny and that "they don't give out this information"...well la ti da....he then scoured TAUCK and could not find anything either....well maybe it'll be a nudist charter (not)......

Ducklite and Milepig, we decided to overlook the smoking issue and focus on enjoying the cruise. The fact that other passengers either ignored, or did not know where to smoke was irritating, but the smoke was dissipated by the breeze on deck. If this had not been the case I would have complained onboard as I am allergic to smoke. The crew and officers seemed oblivious to the issue however.

I am very surprised that WS would not confirm if there were any large groups onboard. To me, this shows that WS knows that large groups can be an issue and they do not want people canceling due to the large group.

We are in the same position as LAURALGUY, we are really looking at SeaDream for our future cruises. WS was great for so many years but our last cruise was not the most enjoyable and management, including the ship's captain, were not the least bit understanding. We had decided to give WS one more chance but with the issue of large groups, and the fact that WS will not acknowledge if there is a large group, gives us second thoughts.

Looks like you found same "problem" with Sea Dream based on your January posts. The travel industry operates to fill cabins, beds, seats, etc. If they are to stay viable the small cruise lines need to do the same. There is no good answer other than just book and hope for the best. We are going on something like 11 and 12 in June and 13 and 14 in November. Wouldn't cancel because of group. Won't stop travelling because of terrorism either. Just want to live and be happy. The worst cruise ever is still better than being in an office. 😎

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks like you found same "problem" with Sea Dream based on your January posts. The travel industry operates to fill cabins, beds, seats, etc. If they are to stay viable the small cruise lines need to do the same. There is no good answer other than just book and hope for the best. We are going on something like 11 and 12 in June and 13 and 14 in November. Wouldn't cancel because of group. Won't stop travelling because of terrorism either. Just want to live and be happy. The worst cruise ever is still better than being in an office.

Yes small ships are more prone to being impacted by a large group but at least SeaDream will tell you if there is a large group so you can make a somewhat informed choice.

Yes small ships are more prone to being impacted by a large group but at least SeaDream will tell you if there is a large group so you can make a somewhat informed choice.

Suppose you book early on SeaDream and then they add a group? Will they let you out and give a refund? Just curious to know if you've asked them. Last time I checked they were quite a bit pricier. It gets harder to change lines with return discounts, etc. Kind of like sticking to one airline for perks. We've met up with them in the islands a few times and looks like a nice option.

Our TA just returned from a 7 day Seadream cruise in the Caribbean. He loved it! We will likely give it a try in the future just to compare the experience.

I do agree with sb44 that Seadream can have the same issues as WS re large groups. Also agree that when you book is a gamble....no large group when booking then large group booking after you book. What do you do then?? There is a recent Seadream review on CC that is not complimentary re large groups on board. Also Seadream is almost double the price! Not sure if it's double the value? I would probably chose Seabourn over Seadream. Nicer ship, still relatively small and lovely experience. We will be back on Seabourn for two weeks this summer. It's great to have choices and we are very fortunate to be able to travel.

Suppose you book early on SeaDream and then they add a group? Will they let you out and give a refund? Just curious to know if you've asked them. Last time I checked they were quite a bit pricier. It gets harder to change lines with return discounts, etc. Kind of like sticking to one airline for perks. We've met up with them in the islands a few times and looks like a nice option.

SeaDream cancellation policy is slightly better than WS. It is as follows:

Cancellation requests must be made by telephone or in writing to SeaDream Yacht Club Limited. If the request is received more than 120 days prior to sailing, all amounts already paid will be refunded minus US $50.00 per booking administration fee. Guests who cancel within 120 days prior to sailing for any reason, including medical reasons, will be subject to the following cancellation fees:

Cancellation requests received following number of days before sailing:

120 – 91 days = $200 per person

90 – 46 days = 25% of full fare

45 – 31 days = 50% of full fare

30 days or less = 100% of full fare

Non appearance/no written notice = 100% of full fare

I can not imagine that a large group would book less than 3 - 4 months prior to sailing. So basically, you do have an out if a group books after you put down your deposit.

I am a regular SeaDream passenger and yes, we have had some of our voyages negatively impacted by groups. Usually large family gatherings with kids. On our most recent there were 38 out of 98 passengers from a TA in Chicago that specializes in gay travel. They had a couple of private events but for the most part were no impact or even a good thing. We met quite a few of the group that were great travel companions. But then, there was the time with 30 children..........:loudcry:

Hey Lovecruisingtoo and others. Yes WS has changed in the last 20 years...what hasn't. We'll see how our summer 9 day trip is. Not loving the new (old) Seabourne ships but it's still a great time and many familiar faces. We did our first Sea Dream last Christmas and REALLY loved it. Pricier but worth it. Food, folks, service. So we're doing it again NEXT Xmas...Will try to find out about groups..Best happy sailing to you all!

Just found out that I will be on with a Tauck group of 78 people. Had I known this when I booked, I would have booked different dates. Just hope that the group doesn't affect my experience.

I doubt the Tauck group will affect you. As someone said previously, the likelihood of those people knowing each other is slim. Of course there might be three couples traveling together with them, but that could happen just as easily on a regular booking.

A situation like Tauck is much different than a family reunion of 78 people (that is a disaster!) or a group of people from the same company on an awards trip (another disaster), or a group from the same Social or Service Organization traveling together--like Lions Club or Shriners or such.

I highly doubt you'll even be able to tell who is who with the Tauck group, and while they might use the main lounge or a restaurant for a couple hours during the afternoon of a sea day for a lecture, the reality is that you wouldn't likely have used it anyhow, so no problem.

We were part of a group of about 50 on the PG and with the exception of dinner on the last evening we didn't use any public spaces during time that they would be open to anyone. Our events were held in the restaurants outside of service hours when no one would have been using them anyhow, and to be honest, it's highly unlikely that most people on teh ship even realized we were a group, as overall we didn't do things as a group.

I certainly hope that you are right. I have taken many tours ( some were Tauck). On port days, they will be off the ship doing their thing. At night at dinner and on sea days, there could be some impact. I looked up the Tauck listing which states that there would be a group lecture on the sea day. If they do it in AmphorA during the day, it would not affect the other guests. On a small ship, keeping the group from mixing with the non group guests could be a challenge. A previous poster said that Candles was never available to them. I love Candles. I would be upset if I didn't get to eat there. I hope that everything goes smoothly.

Just found out that I will be on with a Tauck group of 78 people. Had I known this when I booked, I would have booked different dates. Just hope that the group doesn't affect my experience.

Which sailing are you on? Hope it isn't ours....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I certainly hope that you are right. I have taken many tours ( some were Tauck). On port days, they will be off the ship doing their thing. At night at dinner and on sea days, there could be some impact. I looked up the Tauck listing which states that there would be a group lecture on the sea day. If they do it in AmphorA during the day, it would not affect the other guests. On a small ship, keeping the group from mixing with the non group guests could be a challenge. A previous poster said that Candles was never available to them. I love Candles. I would be upset if I didn't get to eat there. I hope that everything goes smoothly.

I don't think that beezer248 was talking about a Tauck tour group. When we were on board with a Tauck group, their use of venues was outside the times that other passengers would normally be using them. I didn't notice them taking meals as a group at all.

Here is the Tauck page with their itinerary. The only on-board group activity it mentions is a lecture on the sea day. Apparently they do get a daily cocktail hour but I don't recall them piling into the bar or doing that as a group on the sailing that we were on. The tour starts and ends with 2 hotel nights each in Lisbon and Barcelona so any welcome or farewell event would be on land.

From the pricing and availability page, they are sold out for all 10 of the 2017 Spanish Serenade sailings that they offer (which is all but one of the Windstar sailings - May 27) so it would have been pretty hard to avoid them. Perhaps they aren't on May 27 because it has some other group? That date must be well booked - fares on it are around $1000 pp more than on our sailing.

I would assume their sea day lecture and other meetings will be in the lounge. Probably a cocktail party or two in there as well. Candles on the motor yachts is the Verandah and can't imagine WS would allow them more than one night each which would tie up Candles for maybe 2 nights. Hopefully that will be the net impact. We actually had dinner last night with a couple who just did a Tauck/Windstar. They do Tauck because they don't want to deal with any kind of arrangements whereas we do. Remember Tauck caters to high end consumers who pay more for the same experience. You'll be fine. Enjoy and report back to us please!

Definitely not talking about a Tauck or tour group of that type. It is the award groups ( ours was a group of the highest producing advertisers for radio) or a very large family reunion type group. They treated the ship as if it were there own yacht. We have since gone on three more WS vacations with no groups and they have been wonderful. WS offers such a great product and we love their ships and itineraries but we do ask specifically if there are any large reservations under one agent or name. The crew/staff basically has their hands tied as these groups pay a lot of money for the charters.

I thank you all for your comments. I have been on many organized tours including 5 Tauck tours. For the most part, their tours are good. On some trips, guests ate whenever they chose. On other trips, guests were seated as a group at an assigned time. Those group meals were very loud. Hope that Tauck group doesn't overwhelm the other guests. Having sailed on previous Windstar cruises, I was looking forward to a quiet relaxing cruise. I was really excited about my upcoming vacation. I hope it isn't different from my previous Windstar cruises. They were ideal.

Which sailing are you on? Hope it isn't ours....

April 23. If you look at Tauck small ship tours, you will find that there are several sailings that include Tauck tours. In the cruising market, I don't blame them for booking a group to fill their berths. I just wish that I had been told about it before I booked last fall. If I book a future cruise on Windstar I will ask.

From what one other person reported, when they asked if there was a large group on the ship, the WS response was that they did not release that information. I can understand from a corporate position why they would not release the information but as a consumer I want to know that information.

As for the Tauck "cocktail hour", they may consider the lounge talk as being that cocktail hour. If so, there really will not be any impact.

I agree with others that a Tauck group will probably not be noticed. The only exception being that it may limit the shore excursions due to the smaller number of people that may sign up for any single tour. For us, I know this would not be an issue because we normally tour on our own and rarely take the cruise excursions.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my experience from being on the Spanish Serenade cruise with a Tauck group:

They used the Compass Rose each evening at 6 PM, I assume for their cocktail hour. There was a private party sign at the entrance to the Compass Rose. That overlapped the port talk for the ship at 6:15 in the Lounge. On many days the sail away would follow that so we would go up to the Star Bar for the flag raising and then to the Yacht Club and the deck in front of it to enjoy the scenery. I never felt that the lack of the Compass Rose for that hour was an inconvenience.

The only other time I noticed the group on the ship was that they had a lecture on the Spanish Civil War in the Lounge on the sea day. (At least from the people and the speaker, I assume it was a Tauck talk.) I happened to be in the lounge following another activity when the talk was starting. They didn't shoo anyone out and there wasn't a private party sign, but I didn't find the speaker very engaging so I wandered off to do something else.