Packing Lists

babs135

Does anyone have or know of a packing list I can print off?

We will be away for 5 weeks in January/February next year and DH is determined we keep our packing down to one large suitcase and a carry on each. Trip will be a mixture of hot and cold weather as we sail on the Queen Elizabeth from Southampton to San Francisco with 3 nights there before flying home. Obviously we have to take into consideration Cunard's dress code, but we also will have self service laundry on board.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Couple different theories. Could use one and/or combine several.

-Mix and Match sticking to a color scheme so almost everything goes with everything else.

Neutral tops and jackets/sweaters with various tops.

-Layer

-Pack one cold wardrobe, another hot wardrobe. No more than a week's worth each.

-only bring enough toiletries for your vacation. Share what can be shared.

-when packing, only pack to the size of your suitcase. If it doesn't fit can't take it. What about souvenirs?

Look for the thread about the 120 day trip. Lots of good advice there.

viviennefiles.com has lots of ideas for color combinations.

ladylighttravel.com has lots of packing hints.

Have you tried Pintrest?? But why limit yourself? You can bring as much luggage on a ship that you want and International flights allow at least 1 free bag per person and some allow 2. There is NO WAY I could manage 5 weeks with just a shared suitcase and carry on!! That's barbaric LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've never found a packing list on a any app or website that works well. They always include a lot of things that don't wear or never use, and don't include a lot of things that I DO take. So, I created my own master packing list and keep it in my computer. It has everything I could ever need for a trip, be it a cruise a ski trip or something in between.

When I plan a trip a save a new version of the list and label it with the trip name and date. I immediately delete anything not relevant for that trip, ex. ski clothes if it's a cruise. If and when I think of any destination specific things I can easily add them to the list. As it gets closer I start listing specific outfits by item. At the end is a list of things to remember to do before I leave home, like arrange for mail pick-up, take trash out, download movies to my ipad, etc.

When I actually start packing I print a copy and cross things off with a sharpie as I go.

To start such a list, I'd start with make-up and toiletries.....make a list over the next couple of days of every single item you use on a regular basis, from toothbrush to eyebrow pencil to Rx meds. Group in categories or in order of when you use the during the day, whatever works best for you. Add broad categories for clothing, shoes and accessories..... exercise stuff, daytime/casual, pool/beach, dinners out, etc. Then electronics and other special accessory items you like to take when you travel. Inevitably, you'll need to use our list a few times in order to refine it. Keep EVERYTHING you EVER take on a trip on the master list, and save a version for each trip, tailoring the list to that particular trip.

I got the app 'Stylebook' on my iPad, it was a lot of work to get it all set up but I basically took a photo of each item in my closet and built outfits out of them, and then used that to do my packing list. I just have to add any new clothes I buy. It's also handy when I'm out shopping, to see if I have things that will match something I'm looking at.

I do exactly what waterbug123 does! but I also put a copy of my master list in my purse/carry-on and one in my suitcase. Planning is a large part of my cruising fun, so planning what I'm going to wear and when--then listing it on a spreadsheet--helps me determine when I'm repeating items and when I'll need to do laundry. I don't worry about what I'm going to wear. I just consult my list. If weather changes, I can rearrange the dailies.

Your signature shows you're a pro at cruising. I'd do as someone else suggested and take a one-week warm weather capsule and one-week cool weather capsule. If your core colors are complementary and your accent colors combine or complement the core colors, you can intertwine and/or combine the cool and warm capsules for even more options. The Vivienne Files have already been mentioned, but it is a wonderful wealth of information. Look for 33 = 208. Any of her 333 capsules can be combined to make 208 outfits. Even if you allow for evening clothes, the remainder will be enough and with different accessories that take up little suitcase space, I think it's possible.

I'm envious of this amount of time away. Best of luck. Enjoy the trip! Please let us know how your packing turns out.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. There is so much information out 'there' that it's easy to get confused (DH says that is nothing new!) hence the original question. I think I'll start with making a list of what I know I will be definitely taking and then a second list of things I would like to take and work from there.

Have made stupid mistakes in the past and don't want to repeat. Sorting out cropped trousers for a 3 weeks cruise I packed the pile I didn't want and on the same trip managed to take 1 skirt and four tops!! :eek: In mitigation our son had emigrated just a week earlier and I was still coming to terms with that.

Remember

Packing is an Art, not a science.

By your history you've cruised quite a bit. You know what you did wrong but what did you do right?

Your correct packing is a good place to start (one skirt and four tops is a great beginning).

Start with the most restrictive-- Formal wear. What can be repeated? Shoes, LBD with different accessories.

Edited by SadieN

I am leaving in a few weeks to go on a three week trip with a cruise and land stay . My packing list is .

for night

black dress

peach dress

burgundy silk pants and pink fancy top

black pants and blue top & red top

Daytime

2exercise outfits

4 pair of pants

2 pair of capris

2 pair of leggings

long skirt

7 tops

2 sweaters

rain jacket

scarves & jewelry

black exercise shoes

black flats

sandals

dressy sandal

3 camis

pj's (nylon that can be washed out )

underwear

I am taking one medium suitcase & a tote

I do the same as several of you. But I put a copy of the lists in the suitcase & another in my purse just in case the unthinkable happens & my suitcase doesn't arrive. Helps with insurance claim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've never found a packing list on a any app or website that works well. They always include a lot of things that don't wear or never use, and don't include a lot of things that I DO take.

I agree. On our second cruise, after realizing that we'd packed less but still way too much, we made a list of what we'd actually used ... and we're still using it. My own list has never let me down.