seven day Canada and New England Discovery June 3, 2017

mohea

Mom and I are booked on the above cruise for June 3. What is it like? Any suggestions on what kind of clothing to bring? We come from DC area where it will already be hot, but further north, probably not warm? Any suggestions for packing, what not to bring and what would be best to bring would be most appreciated. We are two mature ladies over 50.

It can be just as warm as DC, but A few layers on top of what you'd wear in DC always a good idea. A waterproof, hooded jacket (cuts wind & rain). Hoodie zipped sweater (I like those better than sweatshirts). I always put a warm winter hat & gloves in my bag (no matter where I'm going, you never know). Have fun. Many opportunities for lobster rolls

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been to Canada(Montreal) and Rhode Island(Newport) in the mid and late summers, and while the locals commented on how it was very hot and the most humid summer day(s) they were experiencing at that time, I found it to be warm but not excessively hot(I live in Northern NJ, we can have some very humid summers like DC!). That said, you will be visiting the coastal areas further north of me, and the evenings may be a bit more breezy and cooler than you're used to, so I would definitely add one or two long sleeved t-shirts, at least one pair of long pants. I doubt you'll need the winter hat or gloves, but I would consider packing the lightweight packable windbreaker and a hoodie sweater or sweatshirt a great idea in case of a cool night or two on the coast and since you'll be on the water it can feel cooler as well. Enjoy your cruise!

You'll probably experience some fairly warm days but also some cooler moments. Best advice is to take layers. Pack short sleeved shirts, but makes sure you have a couple of long-sleeved shirts as well. Add a cardigan or two, and maybe a lightweight fleece vest or sweatshirt, as well as a lightweight waterproof or all-weather jacket. If it's unseasonably hot, you'll be fine in just a short-sleeved shirt. If it's unseasonably chilly, you should be quite comfy in a long-sleeved shirt, cardigan/fleece/sweatshirt, and even the jacket, will also be great if you have rainy days. In between weather? Either style shirt with just a cardigan or sweatshirt that you can shed as the day warms up. This type of packing is when it's especially helpful to color coordinate everything you pack, and base it all on 1 or 2 neutral colors so that everything works with everything else, and you can combine and layer however you need to on a daily basis.