Help!! What room/deck for HAL Nieuw Amsterdam?

MtnClimber1101

We are first-time cruisers and are ready to book a room on Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. This is a big splurge for us, and may be our only cruise...so we don't want to screw it up by selecting a wrong room. We are planning to just have an ocean view cabin (no balcony). The registration process has us selecting a room/category on the main deck. Will this be good enough, or should I upgrade to another deck. And, should I choose front, center or rear part of the ship? We don't want to hear noise during our cabin time. I'd really appreciate any advice.

We are first-time cruisers and are ready to book a room on Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. This is a big splurge for us, and may be our only cruise...so we don't want to screw it up by selecting a wrong room. We are planning to just have an ocean view cabin (no balcony). The registration process has us selecting a room/category on the main deck. Will this be good enough, or should I upgrade to another deck. And, should I choose front, center or rear part of the ship? We don't want to hear noise during our cabin time. I'd really appreciate any advice.

There are only two decks on Nieuw Amsterdam with OV (oceanview) cabins: Main (1) and Upper Promenade (4). OV cabins on Main have an un-obstructed view. Cabins on Upper Prom. have an obstructed or partially obstructed view due to the lifeboats. Due to that, they will be less expensive than the deck 1 cabins. Try to choose the center of the ship for less motion. If you choose a deck 1 cabin that is aft of the atrium, choose starboard (right) side of the ship so as to avoid being under the galley. Forward of the atrium, try not to choose one under the Northern Nights disco. Unless you are nightowls. A handy tool to see what is where on the ship is www.cruisedeckplans.com. They have a Drag it Deck feature where you can pull up all of the decks, and drag one over another, matching up the stairs/elevators and see what is over/under something. Also be aware that most of the OV cabins have a tub/shower combo, and the few fore and aft that have shower only are marked on the deck plan. For more information/advice, visit the HAL forum here at CC, under Cruise Lines A-O.

• 1 month later...

We feel the best value on the NA and E is the obstructed oceanview on deck 4. The rooms are very quite, in the center of the ship and relatively convenient to everything. The lifeboats will be outside your windows, but if you choose carefully by looking at the deck plan you can avoid total obstruction. Regardless, you will get a lot of sunshine in your room. If you do decide to upgrade to a veranda, you might want to choose one on deck 4. They are a few feet deeper than those on deck 5. Specifically, the ones more towards the center of the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked inside, on the forward 6th deck. Cabins above and below, and our cabin is opposite direction from elevators. Other direction appears to be doors to an exclusive wrap-around deck, above the huge forward outside deck. Privacy and great views over the crowd.

These, and budget, were all important considerations. But noise wouldn't be an issue anyway, because we use a sound machine.