First time Wind Star passenger.

Little Rascal

Hello everyone,

My hubby and I are considering a Caribbean cruise this Dec on the Wind Surf. We have only cruised with larger companies but the smaller ship sounds more appealing to us. I can't find a roll call for the cruise I'm considering. (The yachtsman's Caribbean). I asked the host but haven't heard back from them yet. So, we can bring on our own wine in each port? I read different replies on the board regarding this? Corkage fee? What about if we just would like to sit out on the deck with our own wine? I like the fact that it is more casual than say Princess. I dress more business casual but don't care for the formal nights since I would have to take heels and formal attire. Any suggestions for a first time Wind Star passenger? Also, Can you wash your own clothes in your bathroom? I like to travel light ( well, one bag). I like washing my own clothes and buy clothes that can be washed and hung to dry. ( undies, light tops and such). Thank you for any replies.

I don't wash my own clothes, but you could; there's a cord in the shower you could hang them on if they aren't too heavy.

You may bring in two bottles of wine when you first board. You're supposed to be charged a corkage fee if you bring them into the restaurant.

There may never be a roll call for your cruise. I have a cruise booked for June, and there's no roll call. You can always start one.

Because there will only be 300 other passengers, the likelihood of an active Roll Call is small. If you read through the other threads on this forum, you'll learn quite a bit about how Windstar does things.

The laundry service is wonderful. Its just over $100 for all of your laundry, every day, beautifully washed and pressed. You could use the cord in the bathroom, but I usually use that for wet swimsuits.

We've never taken a bottle of wine out on deck, but we do pour a glass in the cabin and take it outside to enjoy. If you purchase a bottle in any restaurant and don't finish it at dinner, they will deliver it to you next night at any restaurant on board.

Attire is country club casual, think khakis and polos for the guys, and sundresses or slacks and a nice top for the ladies.

The December 16 yachtsman has a great special until 4/19. It's rare to see a full suite on Windsurf for only $2199 for the week. If that's the cruise you're looking at, then you might want to consider jumping on it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

My hubby and I are considering a Caribbean cruise this Dec on the Wind Surf. We have only cruised with larger companies but the smaller ship sounds more appealing to us. I can't find a roll call for the cruise I'm considering. (The yachtsman's Caribbean). I asked the host but haven't heard back from them yet.Thank you for any replies.

Hi Rascal - you're probably referring to Dec-16 rd-trip from St. Martin. We (Vic/Joan from Atlanta) are sneaking off the Celebrity ranch, trying WStar for 1st time, booked this week.

So, if you do this trip, we'll have to say hello onboard. I'll keep eye out for a Roll Call and might start one if no one else does soon. Started reading this board to 'learn the ropes' HAPPY CRUISING

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the Dec 16 out of St. Martin for my first Windstar cruise, am from Tennessee and will be solo and looking forward to experience Windstar and some islands that are difficult to get to on large major cruise lines.

I just booked the Dec 16 out of St. Martin for my first Windstar cruise, am from Tennessee and will be solo and looking forward to experience Windstar and some islands that are difficult to get to on large major cruise lines.

Welcome Elklemi (and Little Rascal)

I just opened up a Roll Call for the Dec-16 Wind Surf Yachtsman trip - please stop by and say hello. VIC (greydog) HAPPY CRUISING

I've sailed Windstar three times and heading out for my fourth this weekend. Each time I packed a blazer and slacks. I've never taken them off the hanger other than to pack! Khakis and a polo as mentioned or even a nice untucked shirt works well. We LOVE Windstar for many, many reasons - but the business casual dinner is a big plus - especially after a long day ashore (although most big lines time formal nights with days at sea - I still find it a pain sometimes).

When we sail with our teenage kids we typically choose Princess - there is just more to do. When it's just the 2 of us? Windstar!

Have fun!

Because there will only be 300 other passengers, the likelihood of an active Roll Call is small. If you read through the other threads on this forum, you'll learn quite a bit about how Windstar does things.

I've found the roll calls to be of very limited value, because of the small number of passengers who then a) even know this forum exists and, b) find the roll calls. This other issue for many, including me, is that lacking a private messaging system there's no way to contact each other beyond posting your contact information on an open web page, something I will never do.

Since this is my first Windstar cruise I was expecting some information from them when I booked that would help me plan my trip, dress code, where the boat docks, etc all those little things a first timer needs to learn. So far nothing and very little on the website except for a phone number to call a vacation planner. Is this the way to find the answer to all my questions? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Also new to Windstar. We are considering booking a cruise to the Adriatic in September aboard the Pride or the Legend. With such limited rollcalls it seems like it would be hard to book private tours, which has been our practice on Oceania or Celebrity. Does Windstar offer tours? What experiences have travellers had with them?

Thanks for any input.

We have cruised twice with Wind Star and have done a mixture of cruise line tours and personally booked tours. I think it's all about what you want to do at each port. Does WS offer a tour that would meet your needs? Have you found something you consider "not to be missed" and want to book your own tour? We have enjoyed almost all of our shore excursions booked through WS. But I have also booked a few on my own and been happy with those as well. Wind Star is an awesome experience and we look forward to celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in 2018 on WS! Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do roll calls have to do with the ability to book private tours?I've never participated in a roll call and I always book private tours.

Perhaps it's because SHARING a private, self-arranged tour would halve the cost if it was two couples instead of one.

We have organised 'shares' via roll calls before.

'Just a thought.

Perhaps it's because SHARING a private, self-arranged tour would halve the cost if it was two couples instead of one.

We have organised 'shares' via roll calls before.

'Just a thought.

I gave up mind reading; poster said nothing about sharing tours.