Dress choices for a short person

waterlegs

Hi All. Sailing my first cruise with RCI in six weeks. I am only 157cm and can't see myself being able to carry off a full length evening gown for the formal nights. I don't cope well with high heels, so usually go for some type medium block heel or wedges. I am not used to dressing up either but am looking forward to the chance to do so but need advice n the type of dresses that would be ok for formal night and that would suit my short height and rather round belly.

Have you looked at the "post a picture of your dress" thread(s)? That will definitely give you an idea of the WIDE variety of options women choose from for a formal/dress-up night on a cruise (most of us agree that - Cunard aside - cruise lines do not expect truly "Formal" for dinner these days - and even "formal" isn't used for many cruiselines. RCI does apparently still use formal, but they use cocktail dresses as an acceptable option in the examples they list: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

I am only 157cm and can't see myself being able to carry off a full length evening gown for the formal nights.

Why not? My mother is the same height (and shape), and she's worn full length evening gowns and skirts plenty of times.

I'm not saying you have to go the full length route (there will be plenty of women in cocktail dresses), I'm just saying don't dismiss the possibility.

I am about the same height and have found just below the knee or floor length is the best on me. The mid-length (sometimes called tea length) makes me look like I am two feet tall.:D I also like evening pants with sparkly tops.

Depends more on attitude than age, height or weight. IMHO Try on every dress in colors that catch your eye. Many times what looks lousy on the hangar looks great on the body, take a brutally honest friend. Get the dress altered while wearing the shoes or at least ones with a similar heel. Not many can wear off the rack.

I'm shorter than you are @ 148cm with a similar shape. I've discovered I look great in wrap styles and v- necks and lousy in empire waists and boat necks. My big issue with many clothes is losing any (and usually all, lol) hem decoration.

For travel I wear clothes that do not wrinkle. My formal wear is no where near as dressy as many onboard but I do blend in. Slacks, pretty top (or simple top and fancy topper) and flats. Consider weight.

Edited by SadieN

I'm 155 cm tall and love wearing floor-length dresses. Sometimes I wear flats with them too. No matter what you wear, you are not going to look like a 175 cm tall runway model, so just wear what you like, and have fun. If you don't feel like dressing up at all, just don't eat dinner in the dining room on formal night...there are other places to eat. :cool:

I am 5'1" so I tend to shop for petite size dresses to fall just above the knee, as well as maxi dresses and gowns that fall just at the top of my feet. The long dresses look great with either flats, wedge sandals, or a higher heel. Anything that is "crop" or tea length looks too awkward on me.

Hi All. Sailing my first cruise with RCI in six weeks. I am only 157cm and can't see myself being able to carry off a full length evening gown for the formal nights. I don't cope well with high heels, so usually go for some type medium block heel or wedges. I am not used to dressing up either but am looking forward to the chance to do so but need advice n the type of dresses that would be ok for formal night and that would suit my short height and rather round belly.

Remember, just because you are the same height and weight as someone else, that does not mean you can wear the same dress. Everyone is built differently.

Always take a pair of dress shoes with you when shop for a dress. Do try on every color and style. Buy what looks best on you.

I'm 5"5. I prefer form fitting dresses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Even "shorties" can wear full gowns.....just depends on the cut of the dress!.....and your shape, of course!

You don't need a floor length gown anymore, tho. Dress is totally relaxed nowadays. A cocktail dress will be more than most will wear! So, don't stress about it! Even some nice evening slacks and sparkly top will do....wear what you like.

This is wear the LBD (little black dress) comes in handy. No, it's not super formal, but it's never out of place. I found a pair of formal shoes with a 1 in heel (gotten so many compliments on them!) and fancied up the jewelry and never felt under-dressed. I'm also petite, and the choice of dressier clothing is so limited. The LBD is my solution.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm short but like people said, regardless of height, weight, and size that people have different body types (I'm anywhere from a size S to XL lol...).

I do not pull off long dresses well myself. I look horrible in cap sleeves as well. The only dresses that are dressy (but definitely not as formal as many) for me that look good on me are low cut dresses (elongates the body but I know many won't wear something super low cut especially if you are busty like me), halter necklines, and wrap dresses.

I do love heels though lol and wore them all the time at night.

Have you noticed the number of strapless sundresses and tops being advertised? Purchased a strapless long sundress that can be "dressedup' with a jacket or scarf. Has an extra layer at top so I can wear it without a bra. If it required a strapless bra, would not have bought it. Of course, it had to be shortened.Forgot to add it has wide vertical stripes, makes be look a bit taller.