What do you use to take pictures on your cruise and why

leedm

Nikon D7000 is my main camera. I have lenses to cover wide to telephoto. A few years ago before I went to Alaska, I bought a back up body (Nikon D3100) in case of failure of the D7000. I have a waterproof point and shoot Nikon (I forget the model) for in water and snorkeling. I don't use my iPhone camera on cruises, but I do in real life when I am not carrying my SLR.

I usually cruise with three cameras. My Canon D60 covers most situations when I am touring (does not go to the beach). A bridge camera with a long zoom lens and something that fits in my pocket for wandering around the ship and the beach.

We turn off our phones and put them in the safe where they stay all cruise. With the exception of when we go off the ship, then we take them find free wifi and check in with family . I just purchased 2 Nikon aw130 cameras . I got them used on a sale app I use. They look really nice and the seals look good on them. They work good take nice pictures and... come early summer I'll take them to my brother's house jump in the pool and check out their underwater photo quality lol . Then I'll know if the seals are actually good or if I need to have them replaced. It's small enough to carry in a little wristlet while walking around the ship or ports. Or if I had a dress with pockets...haha.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Personally, photography is a big part of my travel plans, and one of the main things I look forward to doing when I travel. It plays an equal part to enjoying with family and friends, seeing historic sites, or enjoying different landscapes than I get at home. So when I travel, I bring a lot of camera gear. Typically, I bring two camera bodies - one larger, one smaller - both APS-C sensors with interchangeable lenses. I'll bring 2-3 lenses for the DSLR camera, specific to how I'll use that system (usually very long wildlife and telephoto lenses), and I'll bring 8-15 lenses for the mirrorless system camera (currently a Sony A6300). I also bring all my gear packed in my large camera backpack for transport, and bring 4 smaller camera bags empty in my luggage. I set up all my camera gear and lenses in the cabin, and each day for walking around the ship I might just grab one camera with one lens mounted for random shots...or if it's a port day, I'll pick the appropriate-sized camera bag for what I will be shooting at that location - and whichever specific lenses I think I'll need. I never hit a port with all my camera bodies and lenses with me - each place dictates which lenses to bring - do I want my ultra-wide lens, low light primes, compact telephotos, macro lenses, birding or wildlife lenses, and so on. Typically I'll hit any one port with 1 camera body and up to 4 lenses in a bag. Very rare spots I might bring two camera bodies and 3 lenses total.

Personally, photography is a big part of my travel plans...

That's a good point that I forgot to mention. The reason I carry as much gear as I do is because I love photography and cruise to see different things and places to shoot. I'm occasionally asked why I don't just leave the camera in the cabin and relax on a lounge chair or a beach instead of wandering around with a camera and after I finish chuckling and realize that the person was serious, I usually have to struggle to explain how and why photography is relaxing to me.

To each, their own. Right?

Dave

That's a good point that I forgot to mention. The reason I carry as much gear as I do is because I love photography and cruise to see different things and places to shoot. I'm occasionally asked why I don't just leave the camera in the cabin and relax on a lounge chair or a beach instead of wandering around with a camera and after I finish chuckling and realize that the person was serious, I usually have to struggle to explain how and why photography is relaxing to me.

To each, their own. Right?

Dave

Exactly, last year on a 12 day Med cruise I took over 4,000 pictures.

In my last cruise, I relied on my Sony 6300 and 18-105mm zoom most of the time. I also had a second Sony body with the 12mm Rokinon. In the bag were the 70-300mm Sony and a 35mm Sony.

I don't think I used the 70-300mm except a couple of times attempting o be a "Justin" for sea birds!

Speaking of that, I thought ZackieDog used a Sony 70-300mm for his bird-shots - sorry, wrong words - bird-photographs.

I'm always torn between taking my "good" camera (Nikon D90 with Tamron 18-250 zoom) or my favorite camera (Nikon AW-100). Most of our vacation snaps usually wind up as a 2"x3" print in DW's travel journal. So, with my failing eyes, can't hardly tell the difference between the photos from the D90 and the AW-100.

D90 is better for Alaska and coastal cruising due to better telephoto but AW-100 is fine for general street photos. On longer voyages, I usually take both. When going into busy city excursions, I take the AW-100 only so I can be more inconspicuous.

Speaking of that, I thought ZackieDog used a Sony 70-300mm for his bird-shots - sorry, wrong words - bird-photographs.

I do most of the time, when using the A6300. That's my main lens for that camera. I also use a Sony A68, with a Tamron 150-600mm lens, or a Minolta 300mm F4 APO lens and 1.4x teleconverter for birding and wildlife. And occasionally, I like to use the LA-EA3 adapter and mount the Tamron 150-600mm lens on the A6300.

I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR with a couple of lenses and am currently debating whether I should take it on our upcoming Baltic cruise. I love taking fantastic photographs and also sell some prints from time to time.

We will be on very active shore excursions most days. I'm not certain if it's worth lugging that bad boy around on shore excursions. It probably is, but I'm interested in others opinions. I have heard airport horror stories from TSA mishandling cameras and breaking them to customs issues (these stories come from a FB friend who is a professional photographer).

I know that they instantly make you a target for thieves and brand you as a tourist. I want to take some amazing photos, but wonder if I'd be better off with buying a P&S or just using my Samsung S7 which takes terrific photos. Note that this is my only camera. My only backup would be my phone.

If you take your DSLR, do you fly with it as a carry on?

I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR with a couple of lenses and am currently debating whether I should take it on our upcoming Baltic cruise. I love taking fantastic photographs and also sell some prints from time to time.

We will be on very active shore excursions most days. I'm not certain if it's worth lugging that bad boy around on shore excursions. It probably is, but I'm interested in others opinions. I have heard airport horror stories from TSA mishandling cameras and breaking them to customs issues (these stories come from a FB friend who is a professional photographer).

I know that they instantly make you a target for thieves and brand you as a tourist. I want to take some amazing photos, but wonder if I'd be better off with buying a P&S or just using my Samsung S7 which takes terrific photos. Note that this is my only camera. My only backup would be my phone.

If you want to buy a nice camera and then leave it at home, save yourself some money and buy a 98¢ brick at Home Depot next time. They both have the same photographic value while sitting at home.

In a less snarky reply ( ;) ), I have carried DSLRs and my current mirrorless cameras on every cruise since I have owned one and never had an issue. I use cross-body BlackRapid straps that not only make them easier to carry but deter thieves since it is easy to cover or hold at the ready with your hand. In cooler climes, I wear a light jacket over the strap and camera which renders it all but invisible hanging at my side.

NEVER check your camera unless you are looking to replace it and then insure it heavily before your trip.

Take your camera and use it. It's what you bought it for and it is what it was made for.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Take the D7000, just insure it (homeowners often covers it with a deductible).

I DO cover the nikon logo with gaffer tape and I also make sure to use a camera bag that is not an obvious camera bag (no Tamrac or Nikon logos for example). If I am concerned I have a pacsafe camera bag that fits a body and general purpose lens quite nicely. I also use a hand strap, not a neck strap. I then carry my A6000 as a backup in case I find myself in a location where I am just not comfortable pulling out the large camera. (Your S7 could serve that purpose)

Using common sense, I have yet to have an issue...

My camera goes with me on every excursion and is connected to a Peak Design shoulder strap (cross-body) to prevent any "snatch and run" attempts. I am careful not to wander into areas that are off the beaten tourist path by myself. Leaving your camera "unattended" at a beach invites theft.

I travel with a Think Tank Photo Urban Approach 15 Backpack that never flies as "checked luggage" but remains in my possession at all times. It fits under the airline seat in front of me or the overhead bin directly over my head. It also holds my Dell 14" tablet and Samsung tablet. I prepare for specific excursions by moving only what gear is needed from my Think Tank Backpack to a cross-body sling bag from my checked luggage.

Be very familiar with your camera before you go on your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I am heading back to Alaska next month. Will take my trusty Nikon D7100 equipped with a Nikon 18-300 which is a 1:3-5.6 G VR Lens.

As back up I will also have my Cannon Power Shot ELPH 340HS with 12x opitical zoom that I wear on my belt when running around the ship.

I have other lens for the Nikon but got tired of packing them along and never using them.

Bob

Hi, I try to take the best pictures I can to preserve those wonderful memories which used to mean taking a full frame camera (Nikon D750) with a few lenses but have to admit getting older has changed my perspective on weight vs picture quality ratio. I tried the Fuji XT1 and never looked back? Light weight, weatherproof and great image quality. Now instead of camera bag I carry the camera on a comfortable strap with 18-55 mm lens which is perfect for what I shoot. Highly recommend downsizing now that smaller sensor mirrorless cameras have come so far. Even for trips to Alaska an equivalent 600mm lens on the Fuji is around a quarter of the weight and size of D750 with minimum loss of IQ which means no more heavy tripod since a monopod works fine. To me the most important thing is to find a camera that works for you so you keep snapping away. Good luck!

Hi, I try to take the best pictures I can to preserve those wonderful memories which used to mean taking a full frame camera (Nikon D750) with a few lenses but have to admit getting older has changed my perspective on weight vs picture quality ratio. I tried the Fuji XT1 and never looked back? Light weight, weatherproof and great image quality. Now instead of camera bag I carry the camera on a comfortable strap with 18-55 mm lens which is perfect for what I shoot. Highly recommend downsizing now that smaller sensor mirrorless cameras have come so far. Even for trips to Alaska an equivalent 600mm lens on the Fuji is around a quarter of the weight and size of D750 with minimum loss of IQ which means no more heavy tripod since a monopod works fine. To me the most important thing is to find a camera that works for you so you keep snapping away. Good luck!

I keep looking at the XT-2 myself....I just can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger yet. I don't ming going from FF (D610) back to crop body....its just having to start over and learn a whole new system.

Currently debating what to bring on my first cruise, heading to the Caribbean in a couple of weeks. I have a full canon dslr kit that I primarily use for sports but I'm leaving that at home, far too heavy for long haul travel. I'll probably bring my Panasonic lumix gm1 mirrorless kit as I've a wide angle lens as well as a longer zoom lens for it. I'm just debating whether to bring a GoPro or get my hands on a better waterproof compact to replace the Olympus one I currently have which will be better for water/land use as the Olympus is utterly useless on land.

• 2 weeks later...

The best camera to take is the one you will use. If you bring a point & shoot and leave it in your cabin the whole trip, it's worthless. That's why cell phones are so popular.

Then again, cell phones don't always capture the best image and have limited zooms. I, myself, carry about 40 pounds of camera gear with me because photography is important to me. I am often on deck with a tripod and big lens shooting distant features others can't capture. I use a cell phone camera in a pinch when I don't have a DSLR on my hip.