Breakfast in the MDR - Sharing a large table

john watson

Indeed they do. They also serve poached eggs in the same way. In the latter case, I order fried bread and switch the poached eggs onto the replacement fried bread slices. The problem as I see it is that the oval toast coasters absorb all the water from the poached eggs. You could try supplementary really thick toast as a side order and rebuild your ensemble!

Regards John

Do P&O still only give you one half a bap when you order Eggs Benedict in the MDR, if so I must remember to request a few extras to go with mine.

The alarm goes off and there is a scramble for dressing gowns, then back into bed for a snooze until there is a familiar knock at the door. I give my husband a good shove so he is left in no doubt it's his turn, up he gets and a marvellous room service steward brings in the tray. When he has gone we sit in bed, pour the hot coffee and try to figure out what we ordered the night before. Cereals, toast, fruit croissants are typically what we are faced with [emoji2] lovely and not too fattening! Now, where did the Horizon go?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A guy on a table one morning was droning on about being lucky he didn't end up with the guy who wears a blue shirt and monopolises the conversation. Got him two days running apparently and kept on about how this guy talks and talks and you cant get a word in. As he kept on about this he is cutting up his banana onto a couple of Weetabix. Once completed he places the skin in front of the plate and starts pouring the milk. Now he just keeps on talking himself loudly and starts on about whether there is enough milk in the jug and arguing it out to himself until finally there is only a tiny bit left in the jug. He finally asks "Is there enough in the jug?" tips the jug sideways to look into it and says "No" and pours the final bit out onto the Weetabix. Then he puts the jug back on the table and says "Can you pass the other jug?" which he takes and pours out three quarters of that. Meanwhile everybody seems to still have black teas and coffees. I found it very difficult not to laugh sitting next to this elderly gentleman.

Anyone else discovered the delights of the shared breakfast experience. You cannot beat it in my opinion.

Regards John

I'm thinking Monty Python's travel agent's sketch....

Well Weet Bix does soak up a lot of milk !! :')

I wish all the cruise lines, including P&O delivered ye olde 'Full English Breakfast, like Cunard does.;)

Don't like the 'Continental Brekkie.' I mean how can a man survive until lunch time on that rubbish?

We much prefer breakfast in the MDR but prefer not to share a table. We've met some wonderful people onboard ships and made some great friendships but breakfast time is far too early for small talk. Often during a cruise we have dinner with new friends but I couldn't subject anyone to my morning moans and groans. I find that I can't hear others speak over the noise from my toast saw anyway ;)

A huge thanks to the poster who mentioned thick toast....I never knew it existed!

We always share a table whichever mealtime, as we like to think we are the sociable type and love to chat. Lets face it even if you get a moaner or someone who is a bit introvert it is not as though you have to take them home with you. One thing that I found amusing on our last cruise was that people would stand and queue for a table for 2 for breakfast while the sharers were streaming past them. Everybody to their own I guess.

We always share a table whichever mealtime, as we like to think we are the sociable type and love to chat. Lets face it even if you get a moaner or someone who is a bit introvert it is not as though you have to take them home with you. One thing that I found amusing on our last cruise was that people would stand and queue for a table for 2 for breakfast while the sharers were streaming past them. Everybody to their own I guess.

Totally agree with you, one can have a table for 2 at home, every night !!!

One of the reasons we love cruising, social interaction.:halo:

One thing that I found amusing on our last cruise was that people would stand and queue for a table for 2 for breakfast while the sharers were streaming past them.

Perhaps P&O ought to be taking note of the preference of their customers and when refitting the ships fitting sufficient tables for two.

Perhaps P&O ought to be taking note of the preference of their customers and when refitting the ships fitting sufficient tables for two.

Tables for two are very popular but space is limited in the MDR, they could certainly put in more but not that many due to space limitations. I have been sat at "tables for two" where the next table for two is a few inches away, too close for the waiter to walk through. It is more embarrassing than you might think. One is virtually opposite the other diners both sides as these "twos" quite often are lined up in ranks. Do you converse or not? Do you join in their conversation, it can sometimes dominate your table. You might find others join in your conversation. If you want a lot of extra tables for two, fares will have to increase in my opinion.

Lol John

I have been sat at "tables for two" where the next table for two is a few inches away, too close for the waiter to walk through. It is more embarrassing than you might think.

Lol John

Especially when Cock a leekie soup is on the menu:rolleyes:

Tables for two are very popular but space is limited in the MDR, they could certainly put in more but not that many due to space limitations. I have been sat at "tables for two" where the next table for two is a few inches away, too close for the waiter to walk through. It is more embarrassing than you might think. One is virtually opposite the other diners both sides as these "twos" quite often are lined up in ranks. Do you converse or not? Do you join in their conversation, it can sometimes dominate your table. You might find others join in your conversation. If you want a lot of extra tables for two, fares will have to increase in my opinion.

Lol John

Interesting. We tried freedom dining on Aurora last Christmas/New Year. Despite queuing for a table for 2, we'll do it again. Most nights there were many large tables empty and unused, but the tables for 2 were never left empty. We did share one night, but we joined a couple at a table for 4, where the other couple had obviously had an argument or didn't want to share. They'd already ordered which also didn't help... It was a shame as the atmosphere put my husband off sharing again. We obviously shared for Christmas Day and New Year's Day, and had a great table of 8 which I was relieved at!

Interesting. We tried freedom dining on Aurora last Christmas/New Year. Despite queuing for a table for 2, we'll do it again. Most nights there were many large tables empty and unused, but the tables for 2 were never left empty. We did share one night, but we joined a couple at a table for 4, where the other couple had obviously had an argument or didn't want to share. They'd already ordered which also didn't help... It was a shame as the atmosphere put my husband off sharing again. We obviously shared for Christmas Day and New Year's Day, and had a great table of 8 which I was relieved at!

I think sharing in the MDR breakfast is radically different from sharing for an evening meal. I have been on Freedom dining only once and shared each night. I believe the larger the table you get the more likely things will go well. Some combinations do not work well usually. Family of four and a couple for example. If you share I would recommend a MINIMUM size table to go for as a six seater. Having said that all my other cruises have been set dining 1st or 2nd sitting.

Regards John

Breakfast sharing is iffy IMHO.

Apparently, in the Guards Officers Messes they lay the table for breakfast with each seat diagonally opposed and a rack for one's newspaper of choice. It is forbidden to converse at breakfast as well. Sounds wonderfully civilised to me (provided the Times is available to read).

We shared a table for an evening meal where on one side the female half of one pairing told us an interesting story about how she was hoping to get to the Rio Olympics. Both her and her husband had made good use of the drinks package and spoke freely, called a spade a spade etc., were full of tales and great company;) In contrast the other couple making up the 6 were friendly and joined in the conversation but could almost be heard kicking each other under the table as each said something the other didn't think appropriate. Couple 1 staggered off to the evening show as couple 2 continued arguing and sat in on separate tables in the bar...LOL!

Made our holiday;p

Do P&O still only give you one half a bap when you order Eggs Benedict in the MDR, if so I must remember to request a few extras to go with mine.

I always ask for, and receive, 2 eggs benedict. My favourite!

I always ask for, and receive, 2 eggs benedict. My favourite!

You are just teasing Terrierjohn by not disclosing the official eggs benedict associated baps ratio.

Lol John

Edited by john watson

• 2 weeks later...
Brown is available in the thick format too. It arrives as a single slice on it's own plate. Additionally because it is handled as a "special" brown or white it turns up hot!

Regards John

Thanks, John, got it every morning. We always share a table and the thick toast instigated many comments. I had the Eggs Benedict and got 2 eggs without asking.

Thanks, John, got it every morning. We always share a table and the thick toast instigated many comments. I had the Eggs Benedict and got 2 eggs without asking.

Yes, I suspect many people thought "those people are in the know" breakfast time.

I ordered Cranberry Juice at breakfast on Princess Cruise after someone else did it successfully one morning. The next day a lady said, "that's not on the menu" to which I simply said "I know". I suspect she thought I had known this for years not from the day before.

Regards John

Yes, I suspect many people thought "those people are in the know" breakfast time.

I ordered Cranberry Juice at breakfast on Princess Cruise after someone else did it successfully one morning. The next day a lady said, "that's not on the menu" to which I simply said "I know". I suspect she thought I had known this for years not from the day before.

Regards John

I did a similar thing on Princess when I asked for and got mixed berries at breakfast as they were not on the menu. Most cruise lines try their best to accomodate passengers requests.