Trans-Atlantic Flight -- Updated what to wear?

cruisemom42

Shoes for work? Where does it say white soles are not appropriate in the work place? My work place is casual and living

in Florida, most of the gals wear sandals (all the time).....white, black, red, cork, blue, pick a color.............

I also think it depends on the work place.......

My hotel says white soles are not appropriate. Those CH shoes would have been a big chance, even the all-black model. And, since I am management, I have to wear either a suit or a dress or skirt or dress pants with a "suit" jacket. Earrings - either studs or hoops no bigger than a quarter. Nail polish - only natural colors, no reds, blues, corals, greens, etc. The only place I can be a bit of a rebel is with the socks I wear with the Danskos - I have all sorts of prints from SmartWool, Pistil, and REI...

My hotel says white soles are not appropriate. Those CH shoes would have been a big chance, even the all-black model. And, since I am management, I have to wear either a suit or a dress or skirt or dress pants with a "suit" jacket. Earrings - either studs or hoops no bigger than a quarter. Nail polish - only natural colors, no reds, blues, corals, greens, etc. The only place I can be a bit of a rebel is with the socks I wear with the Danskos - I have all sorts of prints from SmartWool, Pistil, and REI...

Good morning.....like I said, It depends on the work place...........I can wear sandals every day if the temps are warm

enough.....I wear mules/clogs in the cooler weather......so what works for me would not work for you.......and vice versa.

Agree that it depends on the workplace. I'm currently in jeans, a cotton jersey knit top (think t-shirt with long sleeves), and flip flops. My coworkers will likely show up in anything from cargo shorts and a baseball jersey with sneakers to running shorts with a t-shirt and sandals to Luluroe leggings and a top. We work in a satellite office that doesn't get visitors without notice (except deliveries) and all of the upper management is a minimum of three hours away.

I could not wear them either; not for work. I work in the US HQ of a large pharma company. Very conservative. Still. :eek:

Oh of course, I definitely understand it depends on the work place :) I was just agreeing that yes, I can see how it would not be appropriate for work (depending on your job). I work from home, so I can wear all the white soled shoes I want LOL! I can wear my fuzzy robe and slippers ;)

At my husbands job, he cannot get away with white soles. He is required to wear a suit and dress shoes he can run in. So the Cole Haans, for him, our perfect.

I was a telecommuter for the largest networking company for years. I set my own dress code - usually sweats in the winter and running shorts and Tshirts in the summer, with the occasional pajama day...

Cruisemom: I got my delivery from backcountry.com yesterday (again, next-day delivery for their normal free delivery because I'm local). The Georgia Wrap is heavier than I thought it would be - like a merino cardigan. I thought it would be more like the lightweight short wrap I got from JJill awhile ago for summer. Love the flirty little peplum in the back. I think I'll try to get away with wearing it to work on the days that the Boss is not here.

I was a telecommuter for the largest networking company for years. I set my own dress code - usually sweats in the winter and running shorts and Tshirts in the summer, with the occasional pajama day...

Cruisemom: I got my delivery from backcountry.com yesterday (again, next-day delivery for their normal free delivery because I'm local). The Georgia Wrap is heavier than I thought it would be - like a merino cardigan. I thought it would be more like the lightweight short wrap I got from JJill awhile ago for summer. Love the flirty little peplum in the back. I think I'll try to get away with wearing it to work on the days that the Boss is not here.

My wraps came yesterday; as you say they are heavier than I thought but for me that works great. Definitely keeping them.

My wraps came yesterday; as you say they are heavier than I thought but for me that works great. Definitely keeping them.

The wrap will work for me, but maybe not in the dead of summer when I was hoping to wear it instead of a suit jacket. The down side of being in management - the line staff get to not wear their sweater vests and long shirts (they get polos to wear), but managers still have to have the suits on...

Oh, the Danskos I bought went literally straight from the box that was received at 1PM onto my feet and I wore them for 8 hours at work without a problem. Got to love that feature!!!

Thanks for all the great ideas in this thread, ladies! I ordered a few items today for my next TA flight, as I'm still trying to put together that perfect outfit. I'm partial to longer tunics and cardigans, that I plan to wear over heavier knit leggings. And at just a hair under 5' 10", it's hard to find tops/sweaters long enough. Found some great options at Orvis.com though - found some gorgeous merino wool, cashmere, and alpaca/silk cardigans on sale, plus an additional 20% off today through tomorrow. I never would have thought to look at Orvis - thanks to google for the suggestion! :D

As the person who posed the original question, I thought I'd update you all. My TA flight was so warm -- all that worry about having the perfect weight outer layer was for naught. The part of the cabin I was in was HOT the entire flight; couldn't even wear my cardigan; most people found it too hot to use a blanket. Two crying babies (all night) were obviously also not happy...!

Oh well, maybe I'll have a different experience on the way home. (Currently about Aegean Odyssey enroute from Heraklion to Chania, both ports on Crete...:cool:)

Any ideas not to look like a wrinkled mess after a TA flight. I like to sleep (lie flat seat) so I wake up rested but I feel so disheveled when I wake up. I've never worn leggings so this might be something to consider. Any brands that don't look like I came from the gym?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any ideas not to look like a wrinkled mess after a TA flight. I like to sleep (lie flat seat) so I wake up rested but I feel so disheveled when I wake up. I've never worn leggings so this might be something to consider. Any brands that don't look like I came from the gym?

Look at some of the offerings from Athleta. The City and Metro collections have some nice comfy pants that work for travel. I have a pair of the Metro slouch from about 5 years ago that served me well on those flights from the US to Rome and back!

Also, look at Sahalie online - they may have some comfy travel pants also.

Look at some of the offerings from Athleta. The City and Metro collections have some nice comfy pants that work for travel. I have a pair of the Metro slouch from about 5 years ago that served me well on those flights from the US to Rome and back!

Also, look at Sahalie online - they may have some comfy travel pants also.

Thank you for the tips, I like what Athleta has to offer!

As the person who posed the original question, I thought I'd update you all. My TA flight was so warm -- all that worry about having the perfect weight outer layer was for naught. The part of the cabin I was in was HOT the entire flight; couldn't even wear my cardigan; most people found it too hot to use a blanket. Two crying babies (all night) were obviously also not happy...!

Oh well, maybe I'll have a different experience on the way home. (Currently about Aegean Odyssey enroute from Heraklion to Chania, both ports on Crete...:cool:)

Hi, sorry the flight was so warm:').....that had to be horrible. I had that problem last year but my flight was only 2 hours.

I cannot imagine how bad it would be for an overseas flight.

Does Athleta ever run sales?.......90.00 for a pair of pants?

Those $90 pair of pants will still look good and serve you well for years. I still have some of those Athleta pants going strong and looking great that I bought back in 2009. Unlike some stuff from Kohls and Walmart and Target that may or may not last through your vacation ;)

Yes, Athleta does have sales.

No more expensive than buying a pair of Eileen Fisher pants that we all talk about - $168 for ankle pants, $208 for long pants...

Isn't that the way it always seems to happen??? Sorry it was a sauna instead of a plane. And, to have crying babies - were they so loud they blew up the noise-cancelling headphones? wow.

Have fun on the cruise!!!

Those $90 pair of pants will still look good and serve you well for years. I still have some of those Athleta pants going strong and looking great that I bought back in 2009. Unlike some stuff from Kohls and Walmart and Target that may or may not last through your vacation ;)

Yes, Athleta does have sales.

No more expensive than buying a pair of Eileen Fisher pants that we all talk about - $168 for ankle pants, $208 for long pants...

Guess I am not in that group:eek:....I don't spend 200.00 for the Eileen Fisher pants everyone talks about.

I would like to pass on the name of a fantastic blog that someone here on CC was kind enough to share.

www.theviviennefiles.com

Incredibly valuable for putting together travel wardrobes for different weather, seasons, lengths, etc., coordinating colors and accessories.

The best thing is that she always tells you her source for the garments she shows and frequently includes links.

Thanks to the ideas in this thread, I ordered a pair of leggings from Land's End for my upcoming TA flights in May. They have a good weight to them, and don't look 'spandexy' in the least. (I also researched the Eileen Fisher pants/leggings that everyone here raves about, and they're next on my shopping list!) I'm pairing my leggings with a pair of black, coated canvas, Avalon slip on shoes by Toms, a looooong merino wool cardigan from Orvis, and a long cotton tunic top/dress (mid-thigh) that I found on Amazon. I believe, thanks to the lovely folks here, that I have finally found my perfect TA flight outfit! :D

I would like to pass on the name of a fantastic blog that someone here on CC was kind enough to share.

www.theviviennefiles.com

Incredibly valuable for putting together travel wardrobes for different weather, seasons, lengths, etc., coordinating colors and accessories.

The best thing is that she always tells you her source for the garments she shows and frequently includes links.

Thank you for posting this! I took a quick look through before work yesterday, and was very impressed. So many great outfits and ideas! I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time reading through her blog. Thanks again! (y)

My current 2 pairs of Eileen Fisher crepe pants were found at great prices. The black (skinny, full length) came from SLOWRE, an online consignment store. The "bark" (skinny, ankle length) were on sale at Nordstrom for $100. A couple years ago, Neiman Marcus had some versions on sale for $60 or so (and Nordstrom usually will price match if they have the same option....)

I'm on the lookout for a great price for the skinny ankle in black now.....

• 3 weeks later...

ON my flight to the UK in June I will wear a pair of black stretchy pants similar to JJill wearever, a print soft sharkbite tunic by Cynthia Rowley, a thin black cardigan that is long, and a pair of black sketcher go walk or my black Rykas. Thanks for reminding about the pashmina I need to bring the black one too.

Just thought I would check in here again and say I found a brand on QVC called "Cuddle Duds".....not sure if they have

been mentioned anywhere on here or not. But anyway......I have found my new pants for my flight to Barcelona in

August:D......these are soooooooo soft........they are a "slim pant".......they are not titled "yoga pants".......so I am not

referring to them that way and they are not tight like a legging. All I know is I LOVE THEM:D......they are black and

were quite reasonable in price...less than 40.00.....if anyone is interested here is a link:

http://www.qvc.com/Cuddl-Duds-Ultra-Soft-Comfort-Slim-Pant-Jogger.product.A286904.html?productNumber=A286904&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=A286904&upsh=1&sc=CSWB&TZ=EST

Just thought I would check in here again and say I found a brand on QVC called "Cuddle Duds".....not sure if they have

been mentioned anywhere on here or not. But anyway......I have found my new pants for my flight to Barcelona in

August:D......these are soooooooo soft........they are a "slim pant".......they are not titled "yoga pants".......so I am not

referring to them that way and they are not tight like a legging. All I know is I LOVE THEM:D......they are black and

were quite reasonable in price...less than 40.00.....if anyone is interested here is a link:

http://www.qvc.com/Cuddl-Duds-Ultra-Soft-Comfort-Slim-Pant-Jogger.product.A286904.html?productNumber=A286904&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=A286904&upsh=1&sc=CSWB&TZ=EST

I get my CuddleDuds at Kohls. I also use the crewneck (& vneck) shirts & leggings. They do double duty as pjs